Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to neftv

Premium Member

to neftv

Re: [Other] Uisng Google Voice without a forwarding number

said by neftv:

Yes. But GV has it implemented the way they have it.
It doesn't matter how the calls are implemented. The services don't have to comply with SIP, and yet be VoIP, i.e. MGCP, Skype, H323, etc. What matters here is if GV service is a VoIP or not. I would rather agree with Nitzan; however, knowing what VoIP and/or GV services are, it will be hard for me to admit that GV services are not VoIP.
neftv
join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

1 edit

neftv

The only VOIP part that I think GV is, is the link to having calls go to G5. But that is a back end thing. I not sure what the technology behind the web interface is but I am sure they use Level 3 for the PSTN access. I think that part been said before. My guess is all non G5 linked calls go out as PSTN no matter what.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by neftv:

The only VOIP part that I think GV is, is the link to having calls go to G5.
Exactly. As such the call should be considered as a VoIP call.
zaldy
join:2007-12-07

zaldy

Technically I think GV is VoIP. Your call passes through their system and it goes through the internet so it should be VoIP.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
I didn't say Google is not using VOIP. I said Google is not a VOIP provider. Whether they use VOIP or not behind the scenes doesn't matter if the end user can't use VOIP to interconnect with them directly.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by nitzan:

I didn't say Google is not using VOIP. I said Google is not a VOIP provider.
Neither did I ever mention and/or accuse you on this thread said Google is not a VoIP provider.
Whether they use VOIP or not behind the scenes doesn't matter if the end user can't use VOIP to interconnect with them directly.
AFAIC, an end user doesn't have to be directly interconnected to a VoSP, yet the company that provides such a service to the enduser can still be considered as a VoIP provider so long as the said company implements a VoIP technology on its services even behind the door.