spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aeblank
join:2004-09-07
Cadillac, MI

aeblank

Broadband in a Box

Does anyone have any experience with broadband in a box?
»www.bbinabox.com

It may be a possibility for me, so I'm curious.

Thanks,
Andy

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Probably no better or worse than any other dial-return provider. What I don't get, is why any of them are still in business. In the face of two way satellite availability for similar money, I just don't understand why some folks still want to tie one side to a phoneline

//greg//
RPeters
join:2007-04-02
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

Hey Guy! you helped a while back with my router on the Skyfx. Thanks. Trying to help a neighbor that lost Sarconnect. My F20 from Skyfx should work on his dish when we aim it to the AMC15 but we don't see a signal. The dishes are the same. What are we doing wrong?
or270
Premium Member
join:2007-03-13
Lookout, CA

or270

Premium Member

I seem to remember something about turning the LNB a certain way.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg to RPeters

to RPeters
said by RPeters:

The dishes are the same. What are we doing wrong?
The two modems are almost certainly loaded with different sets of satellite parameters; yours for a SkyFX signal, his for a StarConnect signal. That's why you don't interfere with each other.

You could try changing your parameters to match his. But it would be a futile gesture if the StarConnect signal is off the satellite anyway. At least that's what it sounds like - StarConnect went bust, dropped off the air, is trying to find alternatives for stranded customers.

//greg//

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Isn't this just SKYWAY USA disguised?
aeblank
Cadillac, MI

aeblank to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

I just don't understand why some folks still want to tie one side to a phoneline
Latency.
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters to grohgreg

to grohgreg
Thank you Greg. She's going to do the school stuff over here on the laptop. If her house was closer, she could almost stay where she is. Nice lady. It's ok.

I think compuguybna is wrong. Skyfx is in Syracuse,N.Y. and Skyway is in Ky. I had Skyway in 06 and they went down for months and we all lost in that deal. Big Time.
RPeters

RPeters to aeblank

to aeblank
aeblank,
Guess what? If you go to that site you listed and click on the questions section and play the animation it says that they use Skyway as their satellite supplier.
I would really worry about that one. They are just resellers of Skyway.
or270
Premium Member
Lookout, CA

1 edit

or270

Premium Member

Skyfx was a starconnect reseller last time,
not sure if it is this time.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to aeblank

to aeblank
said by aeblank:

Latency.
Each to his own. Average latency on my current 2-way is around 770ms. When I had 1-way, the average was at least 520ms. So the latency argument really doesn't go very far with me.

//greg//
Expand your moderator at work

bbinabox
join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY

1 edit

bbinabox to aeblank

to aeblank

Re: Broadband in a Box

RPeters said: "My F20 from Skyfx should work on his dish when we aim it to the AMC15 but we don't see a signal. The dishes are the same. What are we doing wrong?"

The firmware in the modem needs to be reprogrammed. Different satellite, different settings. We also use a Universal LNB.
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

thank you bbnbox. Skyfx said the same thing. It is the LNB that we need. Starconnect told them to wait till next week when they get back up and running. Money problems. I told them to go with Skyfx. I never had a problem with them in 4 years now, except to replace my modem and repoint. We'll see.

chihuahuas
join:2009-09-05
Gloucester, VA

1 edit

chihuahuas to aeblank

to aeblank
There running a JW player with Links to YouTube playlist.xml on 24 second way fuzzy clips what a cheap way to go. Can't host decent video on there own site Ha Ha. Tell um Greg how to write Java Script xml playlist files and host on FaceBook in HD.
aeblank
Cadillac, MI

aeblank to RPeters

to RPeters
said by RPeters:

aeblank,
Guess what? If you go to that site you listed and click on the questions section and play the animation it says that they use Skyway as their satellite supplier.
I would really worry about that one. They are just resellers of Skyway.
Skyway is bad?
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

I don't know about now. But I had them 3 yrs ago and they went dead for over four months. They lied about their financial problems just like Straconnect is doing today. I left them for Skyfx. Its a small company in Syracuse run by the old Primestar people. They answer the phone all the time and they complete whatever situation that I had. It's been a very steady reception since 2006. The Broadband Box people are just wholesale sellers of Skyway with multi thousands of users. They also have a stringent contract impossible to get out of like Hughes net and Wildblue. After seeing what Starconnect did to thousands of good paying people, I really hesitate in giving you a recommendation, except that we are happy with our present supplier. Good Luck
or270
Premium Member
Lookout, CA

1 edit

or270

Premium Member

Skyfx dumped there customers over to Starconnect in April 2007(I was one of them), who are they now?
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

Good question. I was one of them too. They put us on Brightstar then took us back a couple months later. Our email never went down and we kept the same dial-up. Greg got me set up with a router and we have been running without a hitch ever since. Todays speed test was 767 at 10AM. Did you go to Hughes? Do you like it?
or270
Premium Member
Lookout, CA

1 edit

or270

Premium Member

I switched to Hughesnet in May 2007 did a self install.
For me it was cheaper to go with Hughesnet vs one-way, 2nd phone line, local phone co. dial-up ISP(no other dial-ups available for my area).

As far as being happy?, It works ok most of the time.
Like most satellite users we make do until something better comes along.
foothilldave
join:2007-04-08
Applegate, CA

foothilldave to aeblank

to aeblank
Hi RPeters -

I also had SkyFX originally and am now with starconnect - who are apparently defunct - so I am looking for my next provider. A few good things about SkyFX are I sort of know them and the price is the same. Otherwise I plan to do WildBlue - but SkyFX is probably easier.

So did you confirm to go back from starconnect to SkyFX we need a new modem and LNB (plus re-aim dish) ?

Also - what is SkyFX RUP/FAP policy like these days ?
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

We are on a router. My neighbor is using her laptop in her kitchen and we are on all day. We have had no problems streaming, and when I called Skyfx and told them what we were doing, they don't worry about it. They don't seem to care about Rup. I have NEVER had a problem and I'm a netflix customer and stream NBC daily. Someday somebody has to tell me what it takes to get rupped or whatever. I don't see the big deal at least not with these guys. Do the Skyfx, if you don't like it they give you your money back. Can't miss with 100% guarantee it's right on the flyer.
Gramcon
join:2007-04-22
Danbury, NC

Gramcon to foothilldave

to foothilldave
I too was looking at Skyfx, until I saw this:

»www.skyfx.us/why/why.html

RUP looks pretty restrictive.
foothilldave
join:2007-04-08
Applegate, CA

foothilldave

Yes - if that is a 30-day total and 1st threshold is 1G download that's pretty severe - not much streaming video allowed. I used to watch maybe a show or two a week on Hulu or Netflix but can still hit 2-3G pretty easy that way. It's still better than Hughes with their 200M "running bucket" nonsense which prevents any streaming video. WildBlue is similar to SkyFX but their monthly thresholds are like 8G to 12G depending on plan.
or270
Premium Member
Lookout, CA

or270 to Gramcon

Premium Member

to Gramcon
Considering last month on Hughesnet I downloaded 6.8GB regular time and 33GB FAP Free time for the month.
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters to Gramcon

to Gramcon
Gramcon,

You had me worried about that rup deal with Skyfx because my neighbor is splitting the signal with me until Starconnect lights up again. So I called Rosanne at Sky call center and she stated that the 1000MB in any 3 consecutive 24 hour periods before overflow. I have never been penalized by these people and I think its because they are so small. They have Verizon in with them. When I called for tech support last month I got a girl at Verizon Wireless to help me. I don't think you have a problem with Skyfx if you don't mind tying up the telephone.
RPeters

RPeters to or270

to or270
or270,

How much is the monthly on that plan?
or270
Premium Member
Lookout, CA

or270

Premium Member

Pro-Plus Plan, 425MB is the daily FAP limit, but I have used over 600MB in a day, so there is some kind of recovery/refill rate.

FAP free time is 2am to 7am Eastern time.

Plan is $79.99 month for average speeds of 1500down/200up
RPeters
Charlotte, NC

RPeters

Thank you but 80 bucks is a little steep for us here. You guysd in California have all the money. LOL
RPeters

RPeters to foothilldave

to foothilldave
My neighbor has sent her F11 to Skyfx for a reprogram. They are charging her $99 total including freight. They also send the new LNB and some kind of meter to find the bird. If you are out of service you should try that route. It's cheap enough.