how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MonaL

join:2009-08-28
Sacramento, CA

the green blinking DSL light...

Hi, I'm having problem with my DSL line going down. It started out fine (no problem for months and months).

Many months ago, my modem started to disconnect, but I could fix it by repairing it or restarting the modem, or powering it down for awhile. Over time, those things stopped working and I was stuck with that dreaded green blinking DSL line.

I called AT&T and they said everything checked out fine on their end. However, in the process, they fixed the connection somehow. It worked perfect for a couple of weeks. Then it intermittently disconnected and reconnected again, and now it won't connect - hasn't for the last two days, again, the persistent green blinking DSL light.

Is this At&t or the phone company? If it's the phone company, why did it work after At&t did whatever they did to it? Is this my modem? Seems goofy how it erodes over time.I don't know if this is a line problem or a modem problem???

And now I can't find the right att phone number to call either...

I do have the modem attached to a surge protector. I don't have anything powered near the modem. This has happened in all sorts of lighting conditions in the house (I am usually downstairs, the router upstairs).

Any help or answers appreciated!

1) Basic Service

2) Motorola 2210-02

3) Belkin router, but it's the same if I bypass the router and just use the wired modem attached to my desktop computer.

4) I dunno what I log into, I think the modem.

5) Power light and ethernet light are solid green, DSL light is blinking green, others are off

6) Filters on all phone jacks

7) Have powered modem off yes

8) There are Crackles on phone - often can't use the phone because of the static on the line

9) No line stats, Line Down, and I didn't grab the stats before trying to repair the connection.

Last PPP connection Error:
No DSL synchronization.

Test ADSL Line Sync: Fail

I can't copy and paste - I'm posting this from my cell, and my thumbs are already sore - I want my DSL back!!

--Lisa

tonydi
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-11
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Call 611 and report trouble on the voice side of your DSL telephone number. Until you get rid of the noise, there's no way to troubleshoot. It's likely that the noise is the problem and fixing that will fix your DSL.

Just for grins, what are the first 3 numbers of the serial number on the modem?

MonaL

Sacramento, CA

Okay, will follow-up on the voice side. Thank you!

The first 3 digits are 435.

Why?

tonydi
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA

There are a bunch of Motorola modems of this model that fail prematurely or start doing odd things similar to what you're seeing. These are reportedly in the 35x to 38x range, so you've got a later model that supposedly has some changes to fix the issues.

Let us know how the phone repair works out and if it doesn't fix your DSL, we'll have more suggestions.

MonaL

Sacramento, CA

Way cool, I'm good to go!

It turns out that it was the phone line. I used to have a heating and air conditioner unit that was hooked to the company via a phone line (so they could repair, restart, etc., over the phone). When I had the unit replaced several years ago, they just cut the outside line, left it exposed to the elements.

Over time, the line has corroded. So the phone guy just pulled out all of the stuff from the phone box, and my line is clear and the DSL is back up and running.

LOL, I was sure that the phone folks would say it's the DSL, while the DSL folks told me it was the phone!!

Thanks for this forum being here - I know where to come next time I have a problem

Lisa

tonydi
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA

How bizarre, never heard of an HVAC being connected to a phone line! Guess we'll need that to the list of things to check.

Glad you got it all fixed up!