Search similar:

uniqs
wase
join:2004-01-29
Willowbrook, IL

wase

[Connectivity] morning problems with low signal strength

Not sure if anyone else has heard of this or had it happen to them

I was having problems for awhile with slow upload speeds; this weekend, they did some signal balancing in my area, and, now, early in the morning, before the sun comes up, my signal is so weak, that I get no phone service, my internet is either dead, or like dial-up, and my video service will only get a couple of channels..Once the sun starts to come up, slowly my signal gets stronger, and, by around 8:30am, everything is pretty much back to normal!!

I have called the last 3 days this has happened, and, of course, once a tech shows up in the middle of the day, everything tests out just fine..

Everything was fine until they did work in my area this weekend, which I assume involved re-balancing signals; now, this has happened every day since, and, its really annoying, as I need my service to work ALL the time, not just after 8am..I've explained this to the tech support folks, but I am afraid they will think I am nuts..

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg

Premium Member

They are going to think you're nuts Techs hear all kinds of things and they tend to dismiss what you're saying even if it's true, since 90% of the time the problem is with the modem or the house wiring. So just tell them you have no service in the AM.

If techs have been out a couple of times, they should have escalated the problem by now. Either a lead tech or supervisor needs to take a look or a maintenance guy needs to come out.

I'd suggest you post in the Comcast Direct forums. »Comcast Direct

They will put in a corporate ticket which gets more attention than a local ticket.
wase
Willowbrook, IL

wase

said by nerdburg:

They are going to think you're nuts Techs hear all kinds of things and they tend to dismiss what you're saying even if it's true, since 90% of the time the problem is with the modem or the house wiring. So just tell them you have no service in the AM.

If techs have been out a couple of times, they should have escalated the problem by now. Either a lead tech or supervisor needs to take a look or a maintenance guy needs to come out.

I'd suggest you post in the Comcast Direct forums. »Comcast Direct

They will put in a corporate ticket which gets more attention than a local ticket.
Thanks, I will post this to Comcast Steve, and hopefully he can help..

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to wase

to wase
sounds like a cracked cable....
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to wase

Premium Member

to wase
FWIW...

The modem status chart and log that the support staff I believe have access to should show them if your modem went offline for an extended period of time. I'm not sure how often the system checks the modem status, but it looks like it is checking roughly every 15 mins to me. If they start to sound like they think you are nutz, just ask them to check the modem status for the last 7 days assuming it does this for an extended period which it sounds like is the case.
ats
join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA

ats

said by AVonGauss:

FWIW...

The modem status chart and log that the support staff I believe have access to should show them if your modem went offline for an extended period of time.

they can place you acct on monitor using scout for up to 30 days and see whats going on
wase
Willowbrook, IL

wase

I assume they are monitoring my account now; I got 2 calls from "Customer Service Escalation" yesterday; unfortunately, when they called, it was late morning/early afternoon, and I told them eveything was great, since it was.
Hopefully, they will call again,and I can tell them what is going on, now that I know I have an issue in the morning.
I have a email posted in the Comcast Direct Contact page now, and, I have a tech coming out Thursday morning..hopefully, tomorrow morning, I wont have the same problem all over again, but I think I will..Hopefully, I will hear from Comcast Steve before then
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to wase

to wase
I've actually seen this on the upstream side! during night upsteam power would be +50dbmv the closer it gets to 8am it jumps to +60dmbv then as it gets to 12pm it drops gradually back down to +50dmbv then at the coolest part of the night may be in the upper +40's dbmv... took comcast 5 weeks to finally listen to me about the problem... they kept saying its your house... i kept saying no its the line outside because the signal was monitored at the drop coming in... they eventually found a line something chewed through and had to replace that
wase
Willowbrook, IL

wase

said by neufuse:

I've actually seen this on the upstream side! during night upsteam power would be +50dbmv the closer it gets to 8am it jumps to +60dmbv then as it gets to 12pm it drops gradually back down to +50dmbv then at the coolest part of the night may be in the upper +40's dbmv... took comcast 5 weeks to finally listen to me about the problem... they kept saying its your house... i kept saying no its the line outside because the signal was monitored at the drop coming in... they eventually found a line something chewed through and had to replace that
I had the same issue orignally; very high upstream signal, sometimes as high as 58dbmv, which was causing my upload speed to suffer; they had 4 different guys out here, including "line techs", who supposedly went all through the area checking for signal, and "balancing" it..
Nothing helped, but this past weekend, they actually did something, and I had no service saturday, and on and off sunday; sunday morning, my upstream signal at 6am was 47dbmv, so I though things were finally fixed; the problem was, at the same time, my downstream SNR had dropped to 26.5, so my phones didn't work, only a couple of tv channels worked, and my internet was slower than dialup; as the day went on, things started to improve, and by the time it was 10 am, i had good signal..Problem is, I need phone and internet ALL DAY, not just from 10am until 10pm..