All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Georgia85
@bellsouth.com

Georgia85 to nick11

Anon

to nick11

Re: [DTA] Can I change the TV channel without the DTA remote?

I know how frustrating this all is for you. I was in a similar situation and being an avid tv recorder couldn't fathom the idea of not being able to record a different program from what I was watching. First of all, Federal Law mandated the transition of national networks to digital...Comcast took it upon themselves to migrate their additional cable channels to digital throughout the remainder of the year. If you are still receiving the Analog Comcast transmission I'd suggest transferring over to digital (there is no additional cost) and using their digital set top box with remote (has On Demand, tv guide listings, show info button...). You enter in a code for your TV on the digital remote and if one is not provided on the list of codes there is a process to search for a code. No, your current tv remote will not work on the set top box - it will only work on your tv and since your tv needs to remain on channel 3 (or 4 depending on you settings) your current tv remote will be of little use other than controlling volumn. And yes, you will always need a set top box with digital cable (regardless of the type of tv you have) because these boxes unscramble the cable channels.

As for watching one show and recording another this can be done (up until the total migration by Comcast of all channels to digital) You will need a splitter and an A/B switch. The cable from the wall goes into the splitter. From the other 2 connections of the splitter attach cables. One cable will go into the "B" portion of the A/B switch. The other cable will go into the "in" connection of the digital set top box. The "out" connection of the digital set top box goes into the "A" connection of the A/B switch. There is a 3rd connection on the A/B switch and that goes from the switch to the "in" on the VCR. Then attach another cable from the "out" of the VCR into the TV. When you switch over to the B mode you have access to your VCR. You can set a program schedule it to record any of the channels you previously had that are still being transmitted via analogue. This includes the major national networks because even though Federal Law said they had to be sent via a digital format cable companies must still provide them in an analogue format for 2 years. You can also watch tv via your VCR's tuner (allowing you to use your tv remote and maintaining your picture in picture feature). And you can change channels on your VCR. You cannot watch one show while recording another while in this mode. This is where you switch over to "A" This allows you to watch TV (using your settop to change channels) while your VCR records the programs you have set it to record.

Unfortunately I don't know how to include a DVD player in this setup - I actually use a VCR/DVD Player combo. I'm sure it's just a matter of using RCA video/audio cables. You probably can find forums online that will discuss this.

So the above configuration will allow you to watch one show while recording another. It will allow you to use your current remote to change channels while in VCR mode. It will allow your picture-in-picture while in VCR mode. The bad news is this will only last as long as Comcast continues their analogue transmission...two years for ABC, CBS, NBC but a matter of days or months for their cable channels.

The final alternative - which is what I just did this past weekend - is bite the bullet and rent a DVR. I've already got my digital package and now with the DVR I can "record" 2 shows at the same time or record 1 and watch another. I didn't want the additional expense but what can you do?
nick11
join:2005-07-17
Chicago, IL

nick11

said by Georgia85 :

I know how frustrating this all is for you. I was in a similar situation and being an avid tv recorder couldn't fathom the idea of not being able to record a different program from what I was watching.
you can say that again!
First of all, Federal Law mandated the transition of national networks to digital...
ok, but I imagine it didn't say to do it in a way it takes away pip, vcr of others, channel changing
Comcast took it upon themselves to migrate their additional cable channels to digital throughout the remainder of the year. If you are still receiving the Analog Comcast transmission I'd suggest transferring over to digital
I don't have a choice. Comcast's letter says do it or lose your TV in one month
(there is no additional cost) and using their digital set top box with remote (has On Demand, tv guide listings, show info button...). You enter in a code for your TV on the digital remote and if one is not provided on the list of codes there is a process to search for a code.
why would I want to control my TV with that tiny, crappy remote?

but even if I want, that remote can control only channel, volume and on/off
the TV remote has more functions
No, your current tv remote will not work on the set top box - it will only work on your tv and since your tv needs to remain on channel 3 (or 4 depending on you settings) your current tv remote will be of little use other than controlling volumn.
that sucks, comcast breaks my tv remote and gives me a tiny, crappy thing, that takes much longer to change the channel too

any idea if I can get a 2nd remote at least? I don't want anything free. I want 2 people to be able to control the tv without one asking/waking up the other person
And yes, you will always need a set top box with digital cable (regardless of the type of tv you have) because these boxes unscramble the cable channels.
can't the guys that manufacture TVs include a DTA in the TV too? I would buy one of those TVs
As for watching one show and recording another this can be done (up until the total migration by Comcast of all channels to digital) You will need a splitter and an A/B switch. The cable from the wall goes into the splitter. From the other 2 connections of the splitter attach cables. One cable will go into the "B" portion of the A/B switch. The other cable will go into the "in" connection of the digital set top box. The "out" connection of the digital set top box goes into the "A" connection of the A/B switch. There is a 3rd connection on the A/B switch and that goes from the switch to the "in" on the VCR. Then attach another cable from the "out" of the VCR into the TV. When you switch over to the B mode you have access to your VCR. You can set a program schedule it to record any of the channels you previously had that are still being transmitted via analogue. This includes the major national networks because even though Federal Law said they had to be sent via a digital format cable companies must still provide them in an analogue format for 2 years. You can also watch tv via your VCR's tuner (allowing you to use your tv remote and maintaining your picture in picture feature). And you can change channels on your VCR. You cannot watch one show while recording another while in this mode. This is where you switch over to "A" This allows you to watch TV (using your settop to change channels) while your VCR records the programs you have set it to record.

Unfortunately I don't know how to include a DVD player in this setup - I actually use a VCR/DVD Player combo. I'm sure it's just a matter of using RCA video/audio cables. You probably can find forums online that will discuss this.

So the above configuration will allow you to watch one show while recording another. It will allow you to use your current remote to change channels while in VCR mode. It will allow your picture-in-picture while in VCR mode. The bad news is this will only last as long as Comcast continues their analogue transmission...two years for ABC, CBS, NBC but a matter of days or months for their cable channels.
sounds complicated but I'd do it at once if it gave me my remotes back
a question to everybody that's reading: can I do that without disconnecting my dvd?

I'd not hesitate at all, but then after 2 years the same problem pops up!
The final alternative - which is what I just did this past weekend - is bite the bullet and rent a DVR. I've already got my digital package and now with the DVR I can "record" 2 shows at the same time or record 1 and watch another. I didn't want the additional expense but what can you do?
if it works then I'm cool

do you have PIP? and can you buy the dvr or do you have to rent it from comcast?

now I can see comcast's thinking: knock out their VCRs so they rent ours!
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma

I understand both sides. My [unsolicited] input is that Comcast should "over-communicate" wrt features (or lack thereof) on DTAs and STBs. I checked the Comcast FAQs, and that helped, but I think that "more is better" when it comes to this stuff.

The digital early adopters have a few years under their belts. Those of us that are still living in the analog age are just spinning up on the nuances of digital and the restrictions when hooking up legacy equipment such as analog TVs and VCRs. We need help from the veterans and from the service providers.

my $.02.
nick11
join:2005-07-17
Chicago, IL

nick11

thanks for the post cdbma6. your points are all good.

and your advice isn't unsolicited. I posted on a public forum!