how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

foothilldave

join:2007-04-08
Applegate, CA

starconnect down 9/1 ?

Was away a few days and on 9/1/09 I am getting 0% satellite. Dialup is OK but no VPN. Reset F11 modem etc. - no change. Anyone else seeing this ?

Thanks

papawjim

join:2007-01-05
West Terre Haute, IN

Dave,

same here, was gone for a few days and get back and no internet. Called starconnect and their message says they are having an uplink issue and hope to have it corrected soon.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

Thanks for the info - I'll quit trying to fix equip for a while.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

Its 9/3 AM (noon in Florida where starconnect is) and they are still down ! Can check »www.satnow.net for status but that is also not updated. I am back on a 28K dirt road off the internet hiway - yack.

elly1552

@Level3.net
reply to foothilldave

Its my understanding they are broke and basically out of business till they get a buyer.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA

Hi elly1552 - that's pretty serious !! can you say what your info source is ?

systek9

join:2008-01-18
Rolling Prairie, IN

Starconnect (satnow)is not the only 1 way provider that is down!! I have checked with two other 1 way ISP'S their uplink is down also. This is a major problem either with the teleport or the amc6 satellite. Either way we are all off the super highway back on the dirt road till it is figured out.

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC
reply to foothilldave

Here's a email I sent to starconnect, Is there any new information on the satellite outage? I found this on dsl reports, »starconnect down 9/1 ?. "Its my understanding they are broke and basically out of business till they get a buyer". Hope this is not true, and here is the response, "fortunately these reports are not too far from accurate; thanks for sending me the URL so that I am aware of what is being said.
I became aware yesterday that the issue is a financial issue between management and the satellite bandwidth provider SES which is not now likely to be solved.
I am working with several investors who are showing strong interest in taking over management of the business with the idea of getting the carrier back on but this will not be before mid next week with likely 50 /50 odds that it will successful.
If theses attempts to get our carrier quickly back on the air are not successful, I am also working with our competition in order to simplify the transition of subscribers to them".

or270
Premium
join:2007-03-13
Lookout, CA

1 edit

From »www.satnow.net

Friday morning 9/04

The satellite portion of the StarConnect service is still down. Steps and negotiation are in progress which will hopefully have the carrier restored by mid next week; however, this cannot be guaranteed. If these attempts are not successful arrangements for as smooth as possible transition to another one way satellite Internet service provider are being negotiated and technical approaches are being defined, Please check this location for any updates which will be posted as soon as the future direction becomes clearer.
--
HN9000/.74 1 watt/ProPlus

RPeters

join:2007-04-02
Charlotte, NC
reply to foothilldave

My neighbor has starconnect. I am trying to help while they fix things up. I took my Skyfx modem over and hoked it up to his dish. No signal. Thought they were on the AMC6? We aimed to the AMC15. Still no signal. What are we doing wrong? The modem works on my dish and both dishes are exactly the same. We know we are on the AMC15 because we have a beeper. The wife is one week into internet school. Any help please?

foothilldave

Applegate, CA

Hi RPeters -

The 0% signal is the problem we are talking about. It's been that way since at least 9/1. The starconnect folks (above) claim by mid next week they will either bail and/or try and find customers a new vendor.

Since I also had skyfx with exact same satellite (AMC6-1) and modem (the F11 stand-alone box) - I assume I could transition back to them ? They were OK - but also died and that's when I moved to starconnect, but I guess they are back ?

Seems like a pretty flaky business....

RPeters

Charlotte, NC

I called Skyfx and Lucy says that if we want to go over to them we will need a new LNB at the end of the dish ($10) thenc the dish needs to point to the AMC15 satellite which looks to be close to the Directv dish position. its on www.dishpointer.com. Then, on top of that we need a new F11. I think you should wait if you still have dial-up. Give them a break save money in the end if they get it running again. Whats another couple of days.
The equipment works. The ball is in their court.

yo

HelpfulHermy

@spcsdns.net
reply to elly1552

I have no idea where you all get your information regarding Starconnect's financial status, their carrier status, or their current location.

The Teleport has always been in Crawford in Atlanta, The main compnay is PC Satellite, LLC in Ramsey , NJ

They have some servers in Florida in a data center but no operations there at all.

All their gear with the exception of their back office is in a rack at the teleport.

The company is not going out of business, nor will they be transferring any customers to Skyway.

Their technology is completly different and is not in any way compatible. They are on two different birds. Skyways' uplink is through a third party providor in Canada.

PC Satellite provides Broadband and Cable to GTMO, so they are going NO where. That base is not going anywhere either so don't start with that B.S.

Know wth you are talking about before posting.

Rumors only cause fear and ignorance is not always bliss.

Island Jeff

join:2005-07-18

1 edit

So what is the cause of such an extended outage HelpfulHermy?

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
reply to HelpfulHermy

I have no idea where you all get your information regarding Starconnect's financial status, their carrier status, or their current location.

I am sorry HelpfulHermy but you are NOT being very helpful here for a lot of customers presently in the dark.
I have been helping my neighbor who has or better.... (had) Starconnect.

Their bandwidth comes from SES-Americon and I personally contacted Vince Malverne and PC Cable hasn't paid their bill in over 5 months. Crawford is owed for the last three months, and their dialup from Yournetplus is won't last another week. SES will not turn it back on for PC Cable even if they pay the balance due.

Check for it yourself. Here are the numbers: 678-421-6822 and 678-421-6719

There are probably 3-4000 people out there that need help, including Guantanamo Bay users.

Please direct your attention to helping to solve this situation rather than speading inuendo.

Some of us have Skyway and some have Skyfx. I have the F20 we use the cisco wireless router that we moved to the upstairs of my garage and my neighbor continues to get her schooling from her laptop in her kitchen.

Lets not stand back and criticize. Lets use our heads for once.

i amorryt

papawjim

join:2007-01-05
West Terre Haute, IN

Wonder if they are going to do like the last folks whenthis happened and keep on charging your credit card even thou the service is no longer working. Anyone have any idea of a number to contact them with to cancel service.

RPeters

Charlotte, NC

Found one of the controllers at 678-421-6822 Vince. Good luck, hope it helps.

reply to papawjim

800-610-0174 (sales and support) corporate is 201-825-9090 in Ramsey, NJ..aka Phoenix Cable.

I may be eating my words and I humbly apologize. I would've thought a govt contract alone would've made them resposible enough to pay their bill to SES.

RPeters

Charlotte, NC

You're right about the govt contract, I think they had the wrong guy at the wheel. Either way, somebody has to step up and provide them service. Phoenix Cable doesn't seem to care about them.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

OK as of 9/10 their new statement is:

The situation has not changed much, we are still trying desperately to recover the original carrier; however, satellite portion of the StarConnect service is still down. If these attempts are not successful, we are still atempting to make arrangements for as smooth as possible transition to another one way satellite Internet service provider , Please check this location for any updates which will be posted as soon as the future direction becomes clearer.

If I don't hear a resolution as of Monday 14 I plan to order WildBlue as I need my internet. I prefer WildBlue over Hughes (the only other "real" satellite provider) as they have a monthly RUP quota so can still stream stuff - maybe.

Sorry to see Starconnect go - but to leave all customers hanging for 2-weeks in limbo is already unforgivable.

Bolt122

@halogensoftware.com
reply to foothilldave

StarConnect is down due to financial reasons - for verification go the their web page to view their message.

»www.satnow.net/

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

I emailed starconnect Sat 9/12 for a status update as I am about out of patience and I received this reply:

I hope that a clear decision and direction are set by mid next week.
Of course it would be wise for you to investigate your alternatives in case what ever I am able to work out doesn't meet your needs and so that you will know what your options are.

I am trying hard for all of our subscribers and really hope for some type of success that results in better choice(s) for our subs than they can find elsewhere.

Meanwhile I also contacted SkyFX about what it would take to switch back and was told:

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 8:30 AM

Thanks for calling, we can take your F11 and send you a new one with the AMC15 code. We will also send you a new LNB for your dish. You will need to go to www.dishpointer.com and put in your address and the AMC15 satellite from the drop down menu. This will show you where the new repoint will face. It's about 45 degrees to the left of where it is now.

If your dial-up quits please call in immediately and I will activate your dial system FOR FREE and give you an email address so you don't lose connection while we trade equipment.

Please bear with us. This was unexpected and we are transferring as many per day as we can.

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:58 AM

We just received the pricing for the Starconnect people.
$109.00 includes a reprogrammed F11, a new LNB, and a skybeeper to find the satellite. This includes the shipping to your location. We are not charging for activation for your situation so please remind us when we activate you.

I think I will probably switch back to SkyFX in the next day or so since cost, performance and RUP are all pretty similar. That's assuming I have a clear line-of-sight to AMC15 - always chancy in the boonies where I live - and some great deal does not come back from starconnect today/tomorrow. I'd prefer to just keep the same dish setup and hardware but its looking unlikely.

Bolt122

@halogensoftware.com
reply to foothilldave

Does anyone know of any Canadian solutions, I am with QSAT, they use SATNOW which uses Starconnect. We are now 3 weeks without service! QSAT is not answering the phone or e-mails and no help in site.

Explornet seems to be the only other answer but they have a very bad rep.

reply to foothilldave

My understanding is that if they do get back online, the average speed will go down because they will have to lower the amount of bandwidth they are purchasing from SES in order to stay a profitable business. In other words, less bandwidth per customer = slower speeds for all.

In a nut shell, they will always be in survival mode.

I would personally take a look at EVDO even if you have very poor cellular reception in your area, you may still be able to obtain a usuable signal by purchasing a decent antenna and amplifier. there is a company that provides a trully unlimited plan with NO contracts.

I am currently using them and my nearest cell tower is 8.5 miles away. Without an antenna my signal is unusable, but with a Parabolic grid and a Wilson 3 watt amp, I now enjoy unlimited high speed internet. I can game, download movies, etc, all with no limits.

anonnn

@..52.xx.in-addr.arpa
reply to foothilldave

Is there any articles or sources confirming closure/service outages due to financial reasons beyond calling the companies?

RPeters

Charlotte, NC
reply to Bolt122

Bolt122,

Don't quote me, but I think that Qsat and Skyfx are owned by the same people. My EX is in Ontario and she has Skyfx, but her tech support is at 888-608-9872 which is Qsat in Canada. She'll be back this Sunday I will check to see if she is still up or not. I have also heard the same about Explornet.
Good Luck1 Let us know what's up.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

Just got word from SkyFX support that as of this Friday 9/18 they will own the starconnect accounts. I was told they will keep the same satellite (AMC6), F11 modem settings, email, and dial-up settings - so zero changeover to do, unless you want to move to the AMC15 satellite (more southern than AMC6). So basically the credit-card charges go to SkyFX (and a few cents cheaper at $39.95/mo) but otherwise identical service. Sorry starconnect had issues but good news is service should be back up soon.

I'm kinda glad I didn't get impatient and switch to WildBlue or other too quick. I had SkyFX originally and had good luck with them (after startup equipment pains).

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

said by foothilldave:

unless you want to move to the AMC15 satellite (more southern than AMC6)
Just a minor quibble - geosynchronous satellites are never more southern or more northern compared to each other - they are all at 0 degrees of latitude.

AMC6 is due south of a line between Boston and New York, and AMC15 is due south of Denver. Depending on where you are around the country one or the other is "more south" of you, but not the same one in all parts of the country.

AMC15 is way higher in the sky for you in California, while AMC6 is way higher in the sky for someone in the East.

--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

Bolt122

@halogensoftware.com
reply to foothilldave

I finally found some good information for both US and Canadians. I have been speaking with Allen from SKYFX, they are working to help this situation. Essentially we should be back up in the next week or so and if not there are at least good alternatives.

For Canadians; I was trying to find another provider and it turns out SKYFX knows QSAT. QSAT may switch to the same sat as SKYFX.

"Qsat and Skyfx are friendly entities. Please try to work with Jarred in Canada. We would both be using the same one-way provider. His tech support is also much closer to you. If you fail in connecting please call in here and we will make sure you are attended to immediately.

Again, this was an unfortunate situation and we are all scurrying about trying to correct it for everyone involved.

AllenB
"
US you can contact Allen at Allen Balboni [allenb@skyfx.us] if you wish to move your service or just need information He is great to work with.

foothilldave

Applegate, CA
reply to foothilldave

OK - new "wait a bit more statement" on satnow.net - and no signal Fri evening as promised by SkyFX and now SkyFX does not respond to my email for a status update.

Are others planning to wait for outcome of this or is everyone bailing out ? Does anyone think it's OK for an ISP to be offline for a full month ? I'm ready to order WildBlue and pay the extra.

Friday 9/18/09

The current/previous StarConnect carrier on AMC6 is now not likely to be recovered; there remains a possibility of service restoration on AMC6 with some parameter changes. Definitive information on this possibility is expected by Tuesday evening. If this occures the carrier is expected to be operional by the end of the month; please check here for more details if this becomes necessary.

If these attempts are not successful, arrangements are being made for transition of dial up and satellite service to another one way satellite Internet service provider. The status of satnow email service if this transition has to be made is undetermined. Please check this location for any updates which will be posted as soon as these determinations are made.