join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13

1 edit

TestYourVoip closing down free service.

On their website:

-------------

Thanks a Million!

On the evening of September 14th, 2009, the TestYourVoIP and TestYourVideo services will be shut down forever. It has been our pleasure to provide this free service to all internet users around the world for the past five years. During this time, over one million people have tested their VoIP and IP video services using TYV for a total of over three million test runs.

If you found this service useful, we recommend that you contact your broadband carrier and ask for a similar service. The technology behind TYV—the BrixWorx Service Assurance System—is commercially available to Internet Service Providers and Telecommunications Carriers, and is already being used by over one hundred major telecommunications carriers around the world.

For more information on the technology behind the TYV curtain, please visit:
»www.exfo.com/en/Products/Family. ··· x?Id=112

To contact us regarding interest in purchasing the technology, please send your request to:
service.assurance@exfo.com

Best wishes in your pursuit of better VoIP and IP video quality,

EXFO Service Assurance
(formerly Brix Networks)

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH
Dam... That sucks.

zaldy

join:2007-12-07
reply to PX Eliezer70
What exactly does testyourvoip service do?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River

2 recommendations

said by zaldy:

What exactly does testyourvoip service do?
It tests your Voip.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River

1 edit
Not tested to a specific carrier, but checks in general for connection and quality issues, jitter, latency, and so forth, by connecting to their servers.

Try it yourself:

»www.testyourvoip.com/

»www.testyourvoip.com/faq.html

-------------------------------------------

Here's some of what I got to London:

MOS: 4.4 / 5.0
(Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources
Codec 0.57 96.8%
Latency 0.00 0.0%
Packet Discards 0.02 3.2%
Packet Loss 0.00 0.0%

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22

1 recommendation

I always preferred »myspeed.visualware.com/voip/inde ··· dex.html

Testyourvoip required inbound firewall ports be opened which, at least in the case of MagicJack, weren't required to be opened. It seemed tedious that way. If you just want to test your line conditions, why test your firewall's port-forwarding configuration?

Mark

zaldy

reply to PX Eliezer70
quote:
Test Failed
Your computer couldn't call our location on the standard SIP port (5060). Generally, one of the following environmental issues causes this failure:

If you have a VoIP Service, your VoIP/Phone Adaptor may have reserved the standard SIP port and is filtering out our SIP packets. Consider temporarily removing the Adaptor from your configuration and re-running the test.
Your Personal Firewall, if you are using Windows XP, may be filtering the SIP and UDP ports used for communication.
Either your home firewall or your broadband provider's firewall may be blocking the SIP and UDP ports used for communication.
How is that possible? I use VoIP through softphone in this computer.

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
said by zaldy:

quote:
Test Failed
Your computer couldn't call our location on the standard SIP port (5060). ...
How is that possible? I use VoIP through softphone in this computer.
That's what I was just saying about why I dislike for testyourvoip. It requires port fowarding when your VoIP service doesn't. You just want to test your line condition, not your firewall.

It's a big deal for MJ users. MJ markets to the average user, and doesn't require port forwarding. It was always problematic to direct them to testyourvoip and then explain additional requirements just to get that to work.

Mark

zaldy

Got it.

priller

join:2000-10-20
Gainesville, VA

1 edit
reply to PX Eliezer70
TestYourVoIP was pretty much worthless. It tested "VoIP quality" between you and them .... which has nothing to do with quality between you and your VoIP provider. About the only thing it may have tested was the "last mile" of your Internet service.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to amigo_boy
said by amigo_boy:

That's what I was just saying about why I dislike for testyourvoip. It requires port forwarding when your VoIP service doesn't. You just want to test your line condition, not your firewall.
With my D-Link routers [with ALG SIP set to Off], I have never had to do any type of port forwarding, not for any ATA device (I've used four), not for any softphone, not for any VoIP provider (I've used about eight), and not for the TestYourVoip test. It's always just worked. Port forwarding has always been a big mystery to me; I have never encountered the need for it.

said by priller:

TestYourVoIP was pretty much worthless. It tested "VoIP quality" between you and them .... which has nothing to do with quality between you and your VoIP provider. About the only thing it may have tested was the "last mile" of your Internet service.
True, but with Cablevision's Optimum Online, that's often EXACTLY what we need to test. OOL service fluctuates as much as presidential approval ratings. So the test was very valuable.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5
reply to priller
said by priller:

I prefer it over some of the others. It at least gives you packetloss, etc that allows you to determine the quality of the line which is more important that just speed.

Sucks that it is going away.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to amigo_boy
said by amigo_boy:

I always preferred »myspeed.visualware.com/voip/inde ··· dex.html

Testyourvoip required inbound firewall ports be opened which, at least in the case of MagicJack, weren't required to be opened. It seemed tedious that way. If you just want to test your line conditions, why test your firewall's port-forwarding configuration?

Mark
I also like using the myspeed.visualware service. It was easy, and I didnt need to make any configuration changes for it to work.
--
Obama = Jimmy Carter part 2
"Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move"
-Sun Tzu-

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5
RockyBB had posted this one in the past, it's very good also.

»voiptest.nuvio.com/

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to PX Eliezer70
Gee, they said they were hanging around until September 14th but they seem to be gone already.

I hate premature pullouts.

join:2008-11-25
reply to PX Eliezer70
You can use www.voipspear.com for testing. It's free and it tests your Internet connection from 3 servers around North America every few minutes.