uniqs
Pronoiac
join:2009-09-03
San Francisco, CA

Pronoiac to Hall

to Hall

Re: Web/HTTP access doesn't work, PING does

Hey there -

I was troubleshooting a friend's netbook with the same problem when I stumbled on this page. I just signed up to post this, so pardon me if I botch the HTML.

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. To check that, see if booting it in Safe Mode with Networking helps. If it does, get the Norton removal program and run it.

Cheers!

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Pronoiac:

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. To check that, see if booting it in Safe Mode with Networking helps. If it does, get the Norton removal program and run it.
Interesting.... He had Symantec AV on there and said it wouldn't uninstall (properly). I thought I sent him a link to Symantec's stand-alone uninstaller but don't know if it was done.
Hall

Hall to Pronoiac

MVM

to Pronoiac
said by Pronoiac:

That case turned out to be an incomplete Norton uninstallation. ...get the Norton removal program and run it.
said by RPC :

After a Registry cleanup...
Those two "fixes" solved the problem ! I used Symantec's clean-up tool (ironic that their "uninstall" routine doesn't do the job properly) and then did a registry clean-up. Running the Norton tool and rebooting wasn't sufficient. Apparently there was still stray Norton crap left behind....

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Glad you got it working!

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

All the more reason not to touch Symantec's stuff with a 10' pole ! Heh, I remember and used Peter Norton's DOS-based utilties years ago and back then they were good stuff ! I hope he regrets selling out his name.... I presume he longer works for Symantec, of course, though he may I guess.