uniqs

manfmmd
Premium Member
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX

manfmmd

Premium Member

Can someone

please explain to me, in layman's terms, why MMS works on all other phones that are MMS capable on the AT&T network, but the iPhone had problems.

Is it technology related?

Is it capacity related?

Is it just AT&T being AT&T?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Re: Can someone

AT&T being AT&T I think...

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca to manfmmd

Premium Member

to manfmmd
It is entirely capacity related.

Phones have been shipping with cameras for years, but the iPhone has become the #1 camera phone uploading pictures to Flickr.

Phones have also been shipping with video recording capability, but it didn't take long for the iPhone to become the #1 camera phone uploading videos to YouTube.

This has been Apple's standard procedure since the beginning - they usually aren't the first with a technology, but they are the first to really popularize it.

MMS is used by many people on many different handsets, but you can count on the iPhone being a huge strain on AT&T's network simply because more iPhone users will use it than those with other phones.

It sucks, and it's becoming increasingly clear (as if it hadn't been already) that the iPhone needs to be offered on more than one carrier. AT&T is just not enough to handle the load.

I'm not saying the situation would be any better if Apple had an exclusivity agreement with Verizon; in fact, I bet we would be in the same situation.

What would help the situation, however, is the offer the iPhone on as many carriers as possible. Apple has to spread the load.

manfmmd
Premium Member
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX

manfmmd

Premium Member

Re: Can someone

But as others have said, in lieu of MMS people have been using other methods to post videos and pictures. I don't see where the added network strain would come from. Those that were already uploading via a different method might continue to do so, so that many more people can see their content, while some of that will shift over to MMS for privacy, but I don't see a HUGE jump to MMS.