uniqs
share rss forum feed

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
join:2000-11-10
Huntsville, AL

Running RESTORE disk for Sony Vaio Laptop from EXTERNAL USB

My daughter's Sony laptop has contracted a virus. NP, right? Just reload the restore disk and keep on truckin'! WRONG. Now she tells me that her internal optical drive doesn't work. Still no problem, she has an external USB optical drive, right? Just boot from there? Yeah, well, I've been trying to figure out how for about 3 days now. I'm LOST!! Is there anyone out there who knows the trick? Any and all help and suggestions are welcome. I'm 2 for 2 in failures this week with computer issues. I could use some success going into this long holiday weekend!! Thanks in advance for your help.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

The Sony BIOS will have to support booting from the USB. Go into the BIOS and see if you can change the boot order so that it boots from USB, before the hard drive.
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
Huntsville, AL

said by Kilroy:

The Sony BIOS will have to support booting from the USB. Go into the BIOS and see if you can change the boot order so that it boots from USB, before the hard drive.
There is no option for booting from USB. Only choices I have are Optical Drive, Hard Disk, Floppy Drive, and Network. I tried putting Network first in the hopes that a search would be started, but no joy. Using the Optical Drive option causes an error because it tries to access the "bad" internal drive. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to mfwizard

USB boot support is only (relatively) recent... how old is the laptop? What model?

The simplest thing might be to see if you can get the internal optical drive working. It may just need to be cleaned. (You can get cd/dvd drive cleaning kits easily... Walmart, etc). If this fails, the next step would be to replace that drive. The chassis that holds the drive is, of course, proprietary for that class of Sony models but the drive inside should be a typical laptop drive. Switching it out just requires a small-head Philips screwdriver. If you have another laptop around, maybe can just borrow the drive for a while.
--
My Site

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to mfwizard

Hmm, hadn't considered replacing the internal DVD drive. Guess that's a definite possibility. The laptop is an RD01-D480, so I'm guessing it is 3 to 5 years old. Haven't looked to see if maybe there's a BIOS upgrade either. Might want to track that down as well, but I'm not hopeful. Thanks for the suggestions!

dragon
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-30
Spring, TX
kudos:1
reply to mfwizard

i just replaced a dell laptop's bad cdrom with a dvd burner. it has the ide interface which is probably what you have. it a great burner and upgrade for the laptop.. i got mine at newegg, but have ordered another from ebay for a few dollars less.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···27118006

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to mfwizard

Try tapping F12 when you first turn it on. I don't know the Sonys very well, but that is the default "boot menu" hotkey.

But 3-5 years old, booting from USB may not be an option.
--
Intel Q6600 @3400Mhz/GA-EP35-DS3P/2x 2048Mb G.Skill/Seagate 750.10/EVGA 8800GT's SLI/Silverstone 850W/Custom water cooler

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to mfwizard

F2 is actually the key to get to the BIOS on the Sony. And, you have to be quick with it! USB boot is not an option. Daughter is trying to make up her mind whether she wants to pony up for a new drive, or just get a newer laptop. Her choice, I've paid the bills for most of her life! Now, it's her turn!!

Thanks for all the good suggestions and helpful tips.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

said by mfwizard:

F2 is actually the key to get to the BIOS on the Sony. And, you have to be quick with it! USB boot is not an option.
I would not be surprised at all that USB isn't an option, but did you confirm that by pulling up the boot menu? (not entering the bios itself) F12 is the standard, though I've seen some use F10.

On this laptop, I can't set a USB drive as a boot option in the bios, but I can press F12 to get the boot menu, select it, and then boot to it.
--
Intel Q6600 @3400Mhz/GA-EP35-DS3P/2x 2048Mb G.Skill/Seagate 750.10/EVGA 8800GT's SLI/Silverstone 850W/Custom water cooler

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to mfwizard

RD01-D480 seems to be the part number for a miniPCI modem... Could you have another look and try to find the model number?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to mfwizard

Keep in mind there are two sizes of optical drives and there are complications with the front bezel. Best case is you find the same model drive, even if the bezel doesn't match at least you can swap them.

Sony is the type of vendor that is more likely to have used a 9mm optical drive with a funky bezel.
--
PRescott7-2097

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

RD01-D480 seems to be the part number for a miniPCI modem... Could you have another look and try to find the model number?
Model PCG-9L1L. Sorry, I just looked at the first set of numbers on the labels on the bottom of the laptop!!

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

I would not be surprised at all that USB isn't an option, but did you confirm that by pulling up the boot menu? (not entering the bios itself) F12 is the standard, though I've seen some use F10.

On this laptop, I can't set a USB drive as a boot option in the bios, but I can press F12 to get the boot menu, select it, and then boot to it.
F12 doesn't do anything for me. F10 puts me at the SAFE BOOT menu, but no option to select a different drive. Guess I'm stuck with replacing the DVD reader.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to mfwizard

Does it say PCG-FRV31 on the top near the keyboard? Somebody else online had PCG-9L1L on the bottom but it's more commonly referred to as PCG-FRV31.

If so, here are manuals for it, including specific instructions on swapping the CD/DVD drive. Looks pretty easy compared to many laptops, just a few screws.

Here is a replacement specifically for the model but I wonder if it is used in other models as well. Ah yes if you search for the drive model number 'SBW-242U' you get tons of results. Looks like you can get one for $25-30 with shipping, not too bad.

Just watch for ones with weird-shaped vendor-specific faceplates, although it looks like you could swap the faceplate from the broken one. Some even come without a faceplate so it should be possible to swap them.