Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Radardan

join:2003-08-15
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:1

Pres. Obama killed AT&T here in AZ

When the President and his entourage stayed near Scottsdale recently, iPhone cell service was essentially broken for several days and then suddenly cleared up when the visit was over.

One AT&T rep admitted there was a problem. All the others I spoke to could not find any issue in their network other than my intermittent "Call Failed" messages.

But I still remember vividly at least 10 years ago when some AT&T rep was claiming in a radio program that customers did not want number portability.

AT&T has a long history of denying reality.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
Oh, of course. Tell the customers "you can't port your number" and then log the number of customers that call regarding portability. "Last quarter 0.3% of calls handled by our call center were related to number portability. 20% of those were customers requesting we allow it" Thus by statistics "customers do not want number portability"

These numbers are totally made up, but you get the idea....
--
PRescott7-2097

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to Radardan
Oh so you think you've got it bad? Ha!

Down here in Tucson at the U the service stops, on the dime, at 11:30 every single day until about 1:30. For about that long, perhaps longer some days, any attempt to make a call results in "Call Failed" messages, sending texts results in "message send error," and data slows to around 120 kilobits/s. I did a test last week and found that during that period over 70% of my SMSes failed at least once to send, most required mashing try again at least 4 times.

I generally switch to EDGE if I'm planning on doing anything, and I just give up if it involves calling anyone who also happens to have an iPhone since they're oblivious to the obvious congestion since the whole time it still happily shows max bars.

I've been tweeting heavily about the issue and one of their reps finally got a hold of me and created a network ticket, but I haven't heard anything since about it. They called back once two days later and asked if "everything was fixed" to which I laughed, because their call went right to voicemail since I couldn't even answer it. I think they've given up on me. Whatever, F*%k 'em. I guess that $130/month goes right into making Ralph De la Vega another corporate bathroom or something.

AT&T has some serious serious load issues if they can't handle people moving around so much that any small flux in phones brings a local network to it's knees. It tells me their deployment was clearly designed before these things became ubiquitous, since they can't achieve the density needed to deliver the kind of bandwidth 35K students need to schedule lunch every day. Fail, AT&T, Fail.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

Radardan

join:2003-08-15
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:1
Hey

I feel for ya!

The only thing which comes close in my life is the dead zone in my kitchen. How many times have I walked into the kitchen for a drink or snack while on the phone and lost the call.

I guess I can say AT&T is leading to fewer calories, putting a positive face on it.

:{)

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
That's really really annoying. Hopefully things will change when the AT&T femtocell starts hitting shelves.

I'm really lucky in that my primary residence has maximum bars throughout and generally speedtests really well (1.6 megabits/s).

Every time I head up to Phoenix (seems like Tempe and Scottsdale in particular) I notice that the speedtests slow to barely over 300 kilobits/s, perhaps 500 in some places, and just stays there. Sky harbor is particularly awful; just a huge glaring omission on AT&T's part to not bring frequency reuse to the max for one of the US's busiest airports.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.