Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 edits

Channel Width/Channel: 20MHz or 40MHz

Click for full size
I've never encountered these options before in my wireless AP. Should I change any options to help increase connection strength or to help stabilize connection reliability? I'm using Channel Width: 20MHz (default)
One of my clients occasionally loses connection to my AP and can not connect until I change channels. I've tried channel 1, 6, and 11 as from what I've understood, these channels don't overlap. Any specific channel I should use? I've changed it from the default channel to "Auto" to see if the AP will automatically reconnect with my client with a different channel, just in the event the AP is having troubles with a specific channel.
NOTE: Included pic here at DSRL doesn't always load for some odd reason.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Over 233 views and yet no replies?

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Well,

40Mhz will just increase throughput(that is, if your card supports it).

With 40Mhz, there is more room for transmission (instead of the smaller, 20Mhz).

It will, however, NOT increase signal range, or anything of that factor.

I know this is a brief answer, but I am tired and need sleep.

Good luck

join:2009-09-25
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

That is a nice looking feature set ! What model of radio is that, and can you post a screenie of the wireless advanced page ? Frame bursting is known to improve bandwidth delivery.

NetworkHelp

join:2009-09-21

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

With a better quality signal (lower noise, better propagation) comes the ability to send / receive at a higher bit rate. Better signal = higher bandwidth. Alternately, increased channel use (40 Mhz instead of 20Mhz) = higher bandwidth.

Either gives you a longer effective range, though neither actually increases distance. The signal from the router travels the same distance, it's simply more usable at a greater distance.

And if you have any neighbors using channels 1, 6, and 11 for legacy (b or g), you'll be getting 20Mhz even when you select 40 Mhz.

tipstir

join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

20Hz pretty stable than the 40Hz. Depends on the Band you set it too I see you have B+G+N more likely it's going to be 20Hz than 40Hz. If you just use N only and set it to 40Hz you might have issues.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

20mz you will never get faster then 150mb connection speed (maps to roughly 30mbps) for N networks. You need 40mhz to have a shot at 50-70mbps (ie, 300) connections.

Give it a try and see how it works.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to 38632383

Click for full size
Thanks so much to everyone for all the useful replies.
As per your request, here is the advanced page. Information on this router is very limited.
It's a Comstar (RealTek chipset) Wireless N Router.
MODEL#CO-NPWL-NRTR
»www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde···cookie=1

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL

said by Dustyn:

As per your request, here is the advanced page. Information on this router is very limited.
MODEL#CO-NPWL-NRTR
You got internal shots of this router? A lot of choices there for wireless.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

said by tipstir:

said by Dustyn:

MODEL#CO-NPWL-NRTR
Sorry... I'm not following... "internal shots"?
More screen shots?

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL

said by Dustyn:

said by tipstir:

said by Dustyn:

MODEL#CO-NPWL-NRTR
Sorry... I'm not following... "internal shots"?
More screen shots?
Internal shots of the PCB that's what the circuits NPU/WPU, RAM/Flash etc for this router are on. Well I was just curious to know if such images was available. I couldn't find anything about this router your using.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Yeah, I'm not going to crack it open. lol
There is very little information on this unit. All I know is that it uses a Realtek chipset. I could see the chips inside the unit via the air holes. Plus it says Realtek on the login screen of this unit.

tipstir

Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

said by Dustyn:

Yeah, I'm not going to crack it open. lol
There is very little information on this unit. All I know is that it uses a Realtek chipset. I could see the chips inside the unit via the air holes. Plus it says Realtek on the login screen of this unit.
No need to open it up. Like here in USA we have FCC ID Photo internals from government site. I don't know if your Canadian Government does the same for its customers.

Anyway Realtek chipsets are the best in my book the 10/100/1000 gig nics, wireless N pcmcia cards and gig controller two of my wireless N routers uses the most popular that has 832KB packet buffer. With Realtek you can contact them by email and they'll send you the latest drivers for products you can't get the firmware from here in the USA.