spc
Search similar:

uniqs
courty3210
join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE

courty3210

Comcast Clear QAM Basic Cable $12.99/month

Figured I'd share my channel list favorites. This is not a full listing but figured i'd show what you can get for $12.99/month from Comcast in the tri-state area. I'm located in wilmington, de

all you need is a TV that has a QAM tuner, no cable box required!

I tried to cut most of the BS channels out to show the good stuff.

if i missed something good please reply, i wouldn't mind having a master list.

Clear QAM - Comcast - Wilmington, DE
$12.99/month, no contract, no cable box

HD
CBS 3.1
ABC 6.1
NBC 10.1
PBS 12.1
MyPHL 17.1
FOX 29.1
CW 57.1
Universal HD 68.1

Standard Def - Digital
Comcast Network 8.1
This 17.2
FX 20.1
History 20.2
CSPAN2 20.3
A&E 20.4
TruTV 20.7
ESPN 20.9
ESPN2 20.10
TBS 20.11
MASN 20.12
PBS 23.2
Game Show Network 76.1
MSNBC 76.2
TV Land 76.3
Some Old Movie network 76.5
Style 76.6
Fox News 76.7
TNT 76.8
ESPN 76.9
ESPN 76.10
TBS 76.11
Spike TV 77.1
Bravo 77.2
HGTV 77.3
E 77.4
Food 77.6
Lifetime 77.7
Speed 77.8
Weather 80.9
Cartoon Network 81.2
Comedy Central 81.3
MTV 81.4
Disney Channel 81.5
Nickelodeon 81.6
SyFy 81.7
AMC 81.8
Discovery 81.9
TLC 81.10
VH1 81.11
USA 81.12
CSPAN 82.1
CSPAN 82.2
Animal Planet 82.3
Hallmark 82.5
CNN 82.7
Golf Network 82.8
ESPN 82.11
CNN HLN 82.12
MTV2 94.4
Discovery Health 108.5
G4 108.10
LMN 117.10

CleanGene
Premium Member
join:2008-04-09
Culpeper, VA

CleanGene

Premium Member

Don't get too attached to those channels - other than the locals and a few others, they'll all be scrambled sooner rather than later.
kevcallaway
join:2005-11-05

kevcallaway to courty3210

to courty3210
Enjoy it while it lasts my friend!!!

Comcast is employing a digital transition all around the country and soon it will touch your neck of the woods.

You are getting more channels than you are paying for right now. The fact that you have a QAM tuner in your TV will not help you when your specific Comcast system gets upgraded. You can kiss ESPN and other channels that were once considered "expanded basic" goobye.

Go down to your local Comcast store or log onto Comcast.com and look up the channel lineup for your address. Most of those channels you listed are not included.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you have no right to complain when they are taken away. You were not supposed to get them to begin with. That 12.99 package is called 'limited basic' or basic -- look up those channels -- you will get the networks and a few extras, that's all.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

courty3210

"i'm not trying to be rude, but you have no right to complain when they are taken away". Sounds like someone is feeling jaded about what they are paying compared to $12.99. My area has gone through the transition a couple months ago. These channels being on a digital frequency could be scrambled at will. I don't understand why they wouldn't have been scrambled in the upgrade but they weren't.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

More than likely, it's because Comcast New Castle never has really been on top of things...
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to courty3210

Premium Member

to courty3210
said by courty3210:

Sounds like someone is feeling jaded about what they are paying compared to $12.99. My area has gone through the transition a couple months ago. These channels being on a digital frequency could be scrambled at will. I don't understand why they wouldn't have been scrambled in the upgrade but they weren't.
Because the DTAs they have been using up until recently required the channels not to be encrypted. Comcast in your area either did not properly trap your line or made a value judgement that it was not cost effective to do so presumably with the hope that the DTA waiver would be granted (which it was) and they would be able to encrypt the channels at a later date. Like others have pointed out, you are receiving a level of service in addition to the one you are subscribing to at the $12.99/mo level, don't expect it to last.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to courty3210

MVM

to courty3210
I think the OP's channel lineup is an anomaly for $12.99 Basic Cable OR they never installed the proper filter on his/her drop.
My $12.99 Basic Cable here in the Chicago Suburbs has only of fraction of the OP's channels and I have a QAM tuner TV.
I carry Basic Cable just so CC doesn't add $10 to my Cable Modem price. If they raise the price of Basic Cable I'll drop it but right now I just use it as my disaster recovery plan if UVerse TV ever burps. So far I have not needed to use my DR plan.

bUU
join:2007-05-10
Kissimmee, FL

bUU to courty3210

to courty3210
Figure that $12.99/month is a price for local broadcast channels. The cable channels are a bonus for now, but long-term, they won't be included for that price.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to courty3210

to courty3210
if you want to get techinical, if you watch the channels that are above the 20's (NTSC channels i'm taking about) and you have "basic" serive, you techinically are stealing... im not going to get into the whole if the doors open you can steal from the house argument... but I'll leave it at this, you're not paying for those channels

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD to JimThePCGuy

Premium Member

to JimThePCGuy
I only get the OTA-available channels.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to courty3210

MVM

to courty3210
I looked into the "basic" tiere here, which is $16.95 (plus taxes and fees). It includes the OTA networks - in SD. Thats it. And those are the only channels broadcast ClearQam. To get those networks in HD, you have to subscribe to the "HD Basic" package, which is $9.95 a month more. But then you need a box to actually tune them, complete with rental fee.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

said by Camelot One:

I looked into the "basic" tiere here, which is $16.95 (plus taxes and fees). It includes the OTA networks - in SD. Thats it. And those are the only channels broadcast ClearQam. To get those networks in HD, you have to subscribe to the "HD Basic" package, which is $9.95 a month more. But then you need a box to actually tune them, complete with rental fee.
wow most areas have OTA HD in clearQAM.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

1 edit

courty3210 to neufuse

to neufuse
first of all, wrong to the guy indirectly calling me a theif

there are plenty of basic channels are above the 20's

including fox, and the cw

i'm disappointed in the amount of people who appear to be 'upset' that i'm getting a great deal

and for all the folks reading the channel listings......comcast doesn't tell you everything
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Okay, let's try this a different way; what channels do you believe are supposed to be included in the 12.99/mo service tier that you have?
kevcallaway

kevcallaway to courty3210

to courty3210
Actually, you are incorrect. Here in central Connecticut - I am paying for Limited Basic only at a price similar to yours. I know that I am only supposed to get channels 2 - 23 and 95 -99 directly from the wall.

I choose to rent a box also because I get TV Guide, New England Cable News, This TV, and T.B.N. that are also part of Limited Basic, but sent digitally.

We have gone through the transition and I know that most of the analogs are gone now. Perhaps, there may be a few channels that could sneak through if I went from wall to TV -- but I am happy just to get what I am paying for. I have no expectations other than that.....
kevcallaway

kevcallaway to Camelot One

to Camelot One
You don't get anything other than that in FL for Basic?

We don't get much else here in Connecticut, but we do get TBS which does have some decent shows and baseball games, we get the Catholic channel (EWTN), CSPAN and a state government channel. It's not much beyond broadcast -- but its kept us happy.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

courty3210 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
whatever channels my clear QAM is receiving, the cable company controls that, not me

they don't even tell you they broadcast the major networks in HD on clear QAM they make it appear like you need to have a box
kevcallaway

kevcallaway

Right...but just don't think that you will always get those channels or be upset when they change.

Someone else said you are stealing -- I don't know cable law, but I will say you are getting channels you are not paying for.

Channel lineups usually come with the bills at the beginning of the year -- you will see what channels come with the basic package. Alternatively you can find out on your own...

I believe cable companies do not have to provide HD broadcast channels in QAM beyond a certain date....
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to courty3210

Premium Member

to courty3210
That is where the confusion lies, while the cable company does indeed control what is or is not available to clear QAM tuners the basic tier $12.99/mo doesn't include most of the channels you have listed. The fact that you are receiving them now is not an indication that they are included, it is an error or temporary situation as I mentioned in a previous post. If you want to know what should be included on the different service offerings, you can stop by any of your local Comcast offices and pick up a channel listing which should show you the channels by tier.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to courty3210

Premium Member

to courty3210
said by courty3210:

first of all, wrong to the guy indirectly calling me a theif

there are plenty of basic channels are above the 20's

including fox, and the cw

i'm disappointed in the amount of people who appear to be 'upset' that i'm getting a great deal

and for all the folks reading the channel listings......comcast doesn't tell you everything
Call Comcast and let them know what channels that you are getting.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

courty3210 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
lol......OK the stealing thing.....

1. Comcast doesn't publish a public Clear QAM list (hence why I originally started this thread) thanks for all the help to the people who are more worried about me getting a good deal

2. They inform you, that you will receive additional extra channels besides what's listed under limited basic

3. They can change QAM signals whenever they like

I'm not stealing and I understand that i may not always receive these channels as they are not guaranteed.
Curlee
join:2009-07-17
Issaquah, WA

Curlee to courty3210

to courty3210
This week, my clear QAM rescan found the Tennis HD channel. I don't follow tennis, so I admired the HD for a few minutes and moved on.

Do I need to turn myself in?

This whole illegal thing reminds me of the song from "Camelot" ... "where by law it never rains 'til after sundown."

There are so many laws on the books that one can barely breathe without breaking some. That leads to selective enforcement, which to me is usually worse than the crime.
kevcallaway

kevcallaway to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
good point!

Flyers
@comcast.net

Flyers to kevcallaway

Anon

to kevcallaway
said by kevcallaway:

Someone else said you are stealing -- I don't know cable law, but I will say you are getting channels you are not paying for.
Are you kidding me??? I'm sure Comcast is fully aware that there are TVs come with QAM tuners. I'm sure they are also aware that they have complete control over what channels can be received by those tuners. If it was illegal I would think: 1. Comcast would just scramble all the channels and 2. Companies would be required to put ATSC tuners in their TVs instead of QAM. Comcast and the FCC can be pretty stupid, but I think they got this figured out. Also, I'm not positive about this but I think you have to have cable activated in your house for a QAM tuner to get anything. Just because your house is wired for cable doesn't mean you can plug it in to a TV and get something.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

courty3210

finally, someone on the forum is talking some sense.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 edit

Caddyroger to Flyers

Premium Member

to Flyers
said by Flyers :
said by kevcallaway:

Are you kidding me??? I'm sure Comcast is fully aware that there are TVs come with QAM tuners. I'm sure they are also aware that they have complete control over what channels can be received by those tuners. If it was illegal I would think: 1. Comcast would just scramble all the channels and 2. Companies would be required to put ATSC tuners in their TVs instead of QAM. Comcast and the FCC can be pretty stupid, but I think they got this figured out. Also, I'm not positive about this but I think you have to have cable activated in your house for a QAM tuner to get anything. Just because your house is wired for cable doesn't mean you can plug it in to a TV and get something.
This what is called.
Passive "Theft"

Passive "theft" is when a customer has service that they are not paying for but that they did not actively cause. Examples of this are moving into a new home or apartment where service is still active, or if the cable company does not disconnect your service even after you are no longer paying for it.

Passive theft tends to occur more with analog service, since a cable company must dispatch a technician to physically disconnect analog service and to diligently disconnect each and every instance of subscription discontinuation might prove cost prohibitive. To save on labour costs, a common means by which cable companies minimize incidents of passive theft is by offering a promotion whereby neighborhoods are offered "free" service on a rotational basis for a period of time (often, one week). This gives the cable company a pretext to disconnect any non-subscribing customers en masse once the free period of service is over.
If Comcast knows that it not trapped or decrpted Comcast will not do any thing about it unless traps are removed or unauthorized equipment is found.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to Flyers

Premium Member

to Flyers
And, I think we are still missing the point...

1) If the area is or has gone through the digital migration, the encryption was most likely removed from the channels due to the DTAs that at the time were not allowed to decrypt encrypted channels. Either Comcast made a value judgement about the exposure to basic only customers or if the area is supposed to be using traps, they neglected to install the proper trap. That fact that the channels are unencrypted and being received does not mean that they are part of the subscription.

2) A little bit of Googling would help, ATSC tuners are and have been required for quite a while. I am not aware of any requirement for having a QAM tuner. You are correct, most MSOs disconnect the physical line after a subscriber cancels - however, this post is about a subscriber who is only subscribed (paying) for limited basic but is also receiving the extended channels using their QAM tuner.

»hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_ ··· 90A1.pdf
AVonGauss

AVonGauss to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I believe that comes from...
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· le_theft

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

I believe that comes from...
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· le_theft

You are right it did come from wikipedia. I should have gave the link.
courty3210
Wilmington, DE

courty3210 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Perhaps Comcast just isn't scrambling the channels because there are so few people w/Limited Basic and Clear QAM and it's not worth their effort. Has that crossed anyone's mind?

I didn't have many of these until the digital transition. So none of my equipment has changed and none of my outside

Comcast is choosing to allow this by choice.

There is no passive theft occurring.