Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 edit

drew

Premium Member

Official Mal'Ganis Thread

My satisfaction with WoW has gone up 10 fold in the last few days for one simple reason: I'm not playing really on my old server. I spend the $55 to faction change & server transfer over to Mal'Ganis. This was mostly to just hang with Archivis and casually play there on my druid.

Why I'm likely going to not be playing my warrior anymore: Gorgonnash sucks. No one pugs anything. You might have one or two Uld pugs per week, and those usually go through a couple bosses and fall apart. Take this in direct contrast to Mal'Ganis where there's always a couple groups going for Naxx10/25, OS10/25, EoE10/25 (Yes, people actually run that instance and pug it. I haven't seen or heard of a guild or pug running EoE on Gorgonnash since January.), VoA10/25 (Horde seem to OWN WG, so this is an almost guaranteed thing... I've gotten >125 marks in the last couple days w/o doing a single WG quest), Uld10/25 and tons of ToC10 groups.

This has raised my satisfaction so much. I have no idea if I can play WoW tomorrow or Wednesday, or Friday. I can't tell anyone "Yeah, I can make it 3x a week for 3 hours to commit to a raid." I can't do it. I don't want to do it and my family comes first. But when I DO have a free afternoon or evening, I can hop on and join in a pug.

If you're like me and might want to raid casually and enjoy more content that you can't get to see on your server, I highly recommend scoping out some of the genuinely High pop/Full pop servers where your faction is dominate.

This is my armory for the druid. I just got him to 80 on Thursday (or was it Friday?). 1 day 13 hours /played (with at least 6 hours sitting doing nothing in Dalaran, Orgrimmar or Argent Tournament or being 100% AFK)

»www.wowarmory.com/charac ··· n=Galain
soldier8
join:2009-09-02
Watertown, NY

soldier8

Re: [Servers] Why You Might Need To Transfer

that's funny..on our server it's about a 9:1 chance that we have WG at all times.. (thunderlord) seems that way anyways.. i have no issues with transfering realms.. but sadly don't know anyone else in rl playing right now so..no need. tryin to get one of my girl-friends playin..we'll see..maybe i can get that zevhra mount

our realm (one of the oldest) seems to run alot of pugs..so i guess i'm lucky in that respect.. i haven't done any naxx yet though..as they're usually full and always only looking for tanks or heals.. wtb a group looking for dps.. lol (i can dream) i also have about the same amount of marks and i haven't done any wg yet.. it's nice.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Replace that Abyssal Rune man :P

That proc isn't gonna do anything if you're resto. He's right though. People PUG everything, including Algalon and ToC heroic versions.

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
join:2008-11-21
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

said by Exodus:

Replace that Abyssal Rune man :P

That proc isn't gonna do anything if you're resto. He's right though. People PUG everything, including Algalon and ToC heroic versions.
does that mean starcaller is worthless then?

cant say that impresses me if no one actually tries anymore

heroic toc though huh? let me guess, on your server anub is as good as dead on heroic lmao

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

It all gets pugged, including heroic anub and nobody thinks anything of it. It's just the culture of the server. There are many guilds who run the content consistently, but there's an army of quality pugs that run all the content on Mal'Ganis.

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

alright, by heroic anub i mean heroic mode (new crazy hard content stuff, NOT 25 man [well could be 25 heroic])

im gonna bring a druid over there and check this out, i want starcaller lol

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Damn... Now you got me thinking.. Only pugs on Grizzly Hills are Naxx10 and I doubt they finish...

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
I doubt that Algalon gets pugged. Please provide screen shots of LFM - Ulduar Hard mode/Algalon.

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

said by Omega:

I doubt that Algalon gets pugged. Please provide screen shots of LFM - Ulduar Hard mode/Algalon.
meh, pugged or just done, i would like to collect that title
the only thing that kills me about high pops is the wait time, i heard sometimes you wait like twenty minutes to play...no way i pay to wait lol
Pali
join:2009-09-02

Pali to drew

to drew
Our Server is pretty low pop.

Me and my brother started to pug Naxx10 about 6 months ago and we did pretty well. We used to pug it every week, then we got a regular team going. We built up to pugging Naxx25 and had a lot of the same members every week.

That's when I started my guild and we have 30 members and are gearing up fo toc25. 15 of us are ready atm I think.

The only pugs that go on on my server are people looking for 1-2 to fill their spots. There are never totally random 25 man pugs for anything. I'm jealous.

It would be awesome to log on and just join a decent Ulduar25 pug. If the guild does't last i'd definately swap servers

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

keep at your guild and make some progress, if it all works out, youll be in ulduar 25 and not worrying about pugging spots

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
said by Omega:

I would like to think that by now, I have some credibility on this site for not making shit up. Certainly, I've said crazier stuff than this and often times backed it up with screenshots. I even PM'd the guy, laughing about pugging such a thing, then he linked me his achievement for pugging the same stuff the previous week.

The next time I see it, I'll be sure to take a screenshot. I'm not joking when I say that all content gets pugged on this server. There are some bad players, but the majority of the raid PUG's are better on this server, than most of the better guilded raid members on my last server.
Expand your moderator at work
Exodus

Exodus

Premium Member

Re: [Servers] Why You Might Need To Transfer

Drew pugged for all of his shit and he's been 80 for under a week. Go armory him and look at the gear he's gotten so far.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yeah, I glanced at his armory this morning. Pretty decent.

I am very tempted to bring my DK over and be able to leave my pvp lock with my social guild--I've known them for over a year and are a cool bunch--I would hate to leave them behind entirely.

Do you need another DK? I could spec DPS blood/frost so we always have both buffs... (I really hate tanking with a passion nowadays).

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

1 edit

pwrtoppl to Exodus

to Exodus
im not saying i dont believe you, but i dont think one guild cleared to heroic anub'arack since last week, i might be wrong on that, but 99.999% of guilds couldnt do beasts on heroic

i could understand pugs for ulduar or toc, but agalon requires people do hardmodes like mimrom, and getting to anub in a week on heroic is crazy

anyways, your on an older server, so i cant say otherwise that higher end pugs dont happen, im considering rolling a dk there just to see what it all looks like, and if it looks good, ill bring my holy pally too lol

far dreams

edit:
heres what my friend was talking about a couple minutes ago:

"It's not just [insert new server] that fails. Lots of tiny servers usually do. Look for older servers. Some of the first. has the old hardcore eq'ers that came over.
They pug that stuff. "

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Kris,

I just started a guild up yesterday. It's one of those "take it wherever it goes" kind of things. People should play what they want. If a DK is what you want to do, that's fine.

As a DK myself, I know the utility that DK's bring, even if there are a ton of them in a raid. Ideally, I'd like to just have the guild full of quality people that is sort of like a pre-screened LFG.

Also, pwrtoppl, I haven't checked on the status of the heroic stuff, but I do remember hearing some folks in my old guild clearing out the 10-man heroic ToC and I know they had to PUG because they never have anywhere near enough people on at one time to run a guilded group.

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

shit dude, im rollin on your server

you got street cred in my book

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to drew

to drew
If it's horde dominated I might swap my lock over when it's available again. Brought him over to horde and spent some time gearing up. Just need to get a better trinket and wand and I'll be good. Got enough gear now that I don't have to raid or do heroics in demo anymore, full destro is more enjoyable. Only problem I would have is waiting to log on, it just irks me.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to pwrtoppl

Premium Member

to pwrtoppl
Drew's just an example. Right now, healers are in supreme demand. In so much demand, in fact, that people are willing to take the undergeared ones and toss a mountain of epics at them. Like he said earlier, he turned 80 on Thursday or Friday, ran a handful of heroics to replace his greens and blues so he could join a Naxx group, snag some epics and hop into ToC by the weekend. He did pretty well for healing too.

I ran him through a few heroics and he was healing H ToC just fine, while sporting only 1300 spell power. I think he's at the 2k mark self-buffed now.
Exodus

Exodus to bTU

Premium Member

to bTU
said by bTU:

If it's horde dominated I might swap my lock over when it's available again. Brought him over to horde and spent some time gearing up. Just need to get a better trinket and wand and I'll be good. Got enough gear now that I don't have to raid or do heroics in demo anymore, full destro is more enjoyable. Only problem I would have is waiting to log on, it just irks me.
I transferred to Mal'ganis upon reactivating my account. I chose Mal'ganis because they were rated as being the #1 horde PVE server.

Let me clarify that Mal'ganis is a PVP server, but they have the best PVE of any horde US server. Their top 14 raids were ranked better worldwide than our #1 raid on my old server.

Consider it like a country. America's poor is better off than some of the richer people in third world countries. That's what this is like.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to drew

Premium Member

to drew
When you're talking about pugs for content like Ulduar, do you mean regular raids / guilds that bring a few puggles in? Or raids in which the majority of players were pugged in?

I can't imagine full pugs running things like Ulduar 25, or at least very well. Raids like Naxx, OS, and VoA? Sure.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Hrm, well, a priest is my next project. We'll see how that goes.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to dynodb

Premium Member

to dynodb
I have yet to join a single "Raid of 22-23 that's pugging 2-3 more". Every group I've been in has always been pulling straight out of the LFG tool, the LFG and trade channels.

These are straight pugs. Imagine a world where the pugs weren't filled with absolutely horrible players, where a little armory research on each candidate is required, but you're still capable of putting together a group for any raid in under 30 minutes. Where your biggest drawback is the day of the week that you recruit. You can guarantee yourself a slot for any raid of your choice on a Tuesday, Wednesday or even Thursday, but as the raid week goes on and more and more people get saved to raids, finding groups is a little more difficult. Not difficult by your standards, but by Mal'Ganis' standards. Even then, you'll find that the weekend times pick up again as there's a huge wave of players that don't raid on the weekdays and they're fiending for some raids.

I'd say that Mondays are the only days so far where raids have to be cancelled because they just can't find the right player that isn't saved already.

Tues-Thurs, you're plucked out of thin air instantly if you're a tank or a healer, and within a few minutes if you're a DPS. The instant you place yourself in LFG as a tank or a healer, you're bombarded with tells and people asking you to join their group.

xcal784
join:2009-02-27
Coolville, OH

1 edit

xcal784 to drew

to drew
I sat in LFG as a healer/tank for VoA25 from the time we won till the time WG started again and not one invite. Seems the only day you can pug stuff is Tuesday on my server. Not sure if I'm ready to server jump but it sure would be nice to grab a decent pug whenever I wanted. It's a rough time when the #2 ranked bear tank on the entire server can't get a group. *cry*

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

The only downside to this server is that occasionally, there's a queue. If you're an east coaster and login after you get home from work, even if you don't play, you'll be fine. When you login at 8pm EST or later, you may see a queue.

Server populations are based upon exactly that, server population. They're not based on faction population. Not only is Mal'ganis listed as "full" but they're also something like 3.8 horde for every 1 alliance. Nearly a 4:1 ratio, which means that there is a massive horde population. Horde, everywhere you go. The trade channels are so spammy, you have to turn them off, or be a speed reader to keep up with them. You can't hold a Chuck Norris conversation joke because it'll skim by in the spams of LFG/LFM or WTS or WTB that scroll across your screen.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'd love to turn my human DK into an Orc DK, but doing so resets certain things, like the Argent Tournament...

Gonna have to go study up on the pro's/con's and see what re-questing I'd have to do.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Heh, I don't think I've done a single Argent Tournament quest. Anything decent for doing that line?

pwrtoppl
C-C-C-Combo Breaker
Broomfield, CO

pwrtoppl

said by Exodus:

Heh, I don't think I've done a single Argent Tournament quest. Anything decent for doing that line?
titles...mainly
some decent pets/mounts/terrible gear

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I think I've still got my Champion of the Frozen Wastes title.

*flex*