All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Linusv
@rr.com

Linusv

Anon

How to share one phone with Vonage and local phone service?

Could not find an answer to this simple question so I thought I'd post it here. I am new to vonage service and received the standard equipment.

How can I connect my one phone to both Vonage and my local phone service? I tried using a phone splitter but got a lot of distortion with the calls. Is there something I am missing. I can do this with my Skype setup easily.

Ideally I would like to pick up my one phone and make a call using Vonage or local phone service provider. Is this possible and if so How?

Thanks.

snolsen
join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH

snolsen

Can't do it. You might get a nasty call from the telco.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by snolsen:

Can't do it. You might get a nasty call from the telco.
Be real careful here..... Normally you have to physically disconnect the outside phone line to use Vonage - this is because the 48V ring voltage from your POTS will fry the ATA/VTA from vonage.

You can pick up a 2 line phone ($50 radio shack) and use one line for local number and the other for Vonage - make sure your wire them separately

Why keep the local line??

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to Linusv

Premium Member

to Linusv
Ponder this ... if you have the phone linked to two separate phone lines (be they PSTN or VoIP or a combination of the two) ... each time you pick up the phone (or push the "dial" button) you are going "off hook" for both lines ... obtaining two simultaneous dial tones. That's no-no.

A splitter doesn't do anything to help since it just simultaneously connects the one phone to both "dial tones".

As posted above, your quest is achievable by purchasing a "2-line" telephone system ... which through googling will bring up Uniden, Panasonic, V-Tec, and some others. These phones come with or without CallerID, Answering Machine, 2-Line Conferencing ... as well as the option to purchase cordless satellite phones to allow placing extensions throughout the home without the need for wiring.

Linusv
@rr.com

Linusv to Linusv

Anon

to Linusv
You guys are awesome, thanks for the replies and guidance.

I'm looking at this now:
»www.wegotbetterdeals.com ··· 879.html

I'll also check out Ebay for a few deals.

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

how about an A/B switch? plug Bell into line B (B for Bell, get it?), plug Vonage into line A. plug phone into I/O. chose A or B on the switch to decide which line to call out on. find one with lights and ringers to help with incoming calls. »www.trianglecables.com/r ··· way.html

snolsen
Bedford, NH

snolsen

said by RockyBB:

how about an A/B switch? plug Bell into line B (B for Bell, get it?), plug Vonage into line A. plug phone into I/O. chose A or B on the switch to decide which line to call out on. find one with lights and ringers to help with incoming calls. »www.trianglecables.com/r ··· way.html
get real....... Have you found such an item?

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

did you not see the link I included in my post?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Interesting item.

It will solve the problem of outgoing line, but what about the incoming calls?

-------------------------------------

I still wonder why the OP has POTS as well as Vonage.
TxPres
join:1999-07-22
Austin, TX

TxPres to Linusv

to Linusv
said by Linusv :

You guys are awesome, thanks for the replies and guidance.

I'm looking at this now:
»www.wegotbetterdeals.com ··· 879.html

I'll also check out Ebay for a few deals.
If you are looking for new phones, check out the DECT 6.0 phones (1.9 ghz). They have a much better range than the 5.8ghz and no interference!
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The problem is most of the DECT are single-line devices, not 2-line as the OP needs.

snolsen
Bedford, NH

snolsen to RockyBB

to RockyBB
said by RockyBB:

Where's the crank that you have to turn to make a call..........

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by snolsen:

said by RockyBB:

Where's the crank that you have to turn
typically, that is supplied by the user.