uniqs
share rss forum feed

OutOfMem
openSUSE 11.4
Premium
join:2001-05-11

2 edits

Oracle Jinitiator on Linux client?

I have friend who needs to be able to use this web page: (removed link, just in case of a problem with their corporate office)

However, in Linux, he is unable to, since it requires the Jinitiator plugin to be installed. This plugin is only available for Windows.

I've already tried a million combinations on wine and playonlinux, even using IE 6 and 7. Nothing worked.

I read somewhere that you can simply point the mime-type "application/x-jinit-applet" to use the Sun Java plugin. I have the Sun Java plugin installed, and removed the open jdk plugin, so now Firefox uses Sun Java 1.6.0u15. Whenever I try to edit ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxx.default/pluginreg.dat, it is recreated once I launch Firefox. I tried to add a line like this: 33:application/x-jinit-applet;version=1.3.1.22:Java::$

Of course, this line is removed once I run Firefox.

Does anyone know of a way around this, without having to resort to booting into Windows everytime or running a Virtual Machine every time he wants to access the page?
--
CampaignForLiberty.com Educate yourself. (And enable scripts...)

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

Unless he can talk the owner of the website into enabling the JRE (which for 10gAS is not that hard) your friend will probably be out of luck. I'm actually surprised the site is still using the JInitiator, Oracle has been strongly suggesting people make that switch because they are going to be completely desupporting it.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
kudos:1
reply to OutOfMem

Why not try and put that line in user.js file located in the users Mozilla/Firefox directory?
A user.js file does not get deleted everytime it is reloaded and might help solve your issue.

OutOfMem
openSUSE 11.4
Premium

1 edit
reply to GILXA1226

said by GILXA1226:

Unless he can talk the owner of the website into enabling the JRE (which for 10gAS is not that hard) your friend will probably be out of luck. I'm actually surprised the site is still using the JInitiator, Oracle has been strongly suggesting people make that switch because they are going to be completely desupporting it.
I called up the help desk, but the guy on the other line was a bit confused about the issue. He kept repeating over and over that there is nothing they can do about it, and if you don't use Internet Explorer with the specific version of Jinitiator, then you are out of luck.

I explained to him that I've read around that they could configure it to use the client's Java Runtime Environment, so that users on Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Linux, and Mac could all access the page. He asked me "Now why would we want to do that?" and then just brushed it aside and said it's designed only for Windows and Internet Explorer.

Oh, well, not my problem. I'll just explain to my friend that he'll need to use his Windows laptop whenever he wants to access the page. I figured that being able to use it in Linux would be a better, and more convenient solution. That's all.
--

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH

said by OutOfMem:

said by GILXA1226:

I called up the help desk, but the guy on the other line was a bit confused about the issue. He kept repeating over and over that there is nothing they can do about it, and if you don't use Internet Explorer with the specific version of Jinitiator, then you are out of luck.

I explained to him that I've read around that they could configure it to use the client's Java Runtime Environment, so that users on Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Linux, and Mac could all access the page. He asked me "Now why would we want to do that?" and then just brushed it aside and said it's designed only for Windows and Internet Explorer.

Oh, well, not my problem. I'll just explain to my friend that he'll need to use his Windows laptop whenever he wants to access the page. I figured that being able to use it in Linux would be a better, and more convenient solution. That's all.
My guess is their support tech is not the Oracle Admin. Oh well.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

OutOfMem
openSUSE 11.4
Premium

2 edits

said by GILXA1226:

said by OutOfMem:

said by GILXA1226:

My guess is their support tech is not the Oracle Admin. Oh well.
Unless I have his/her personal number, it's impossible. Tech support the closest you can get. That's the drawback to large companies. Distant, slow moving and rigid.

(There's a reason it's called "tech" support, or so I thought.)
--

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH

said by OutOfMem:

Unless I have his/her personal number, it's impossible. Tech support the closest you can get. That's the drawback to large companies. Distant, slow moving and rigid.

(There's a reason it's called "tech" support, or so I thought.)
It's been my experience that tech support can help if it's a problem on your end, and change to the system and they're clueless if it doesn't involve something simple like a password reset. In about 1-2 years the jInit should be fully phased out, at which time your friend should be able to connect with any OS that has a Sun (soon to be Oracle) JRE on it.
--