Search similar:

uniqs

oKubricko
join:2001-08-06
Miamisburg, OH

oKubricko

3 Year Old Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Hums but no spin

Hey all,

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan where the fan no longer spins. It has a remote control but I removed it to try and troubleshoot the problem.

I can turn the power on at the switch, the light comes on and I can hear a hum from the motor. There is no movement from the fan blades. The blades won't spin in either direction if I move the switch that controls rotation.

The level of loudness of the hum is proportionate to the speed the fan should be moving. Fast Setting (loud hum) slow setting (soft hum)

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong and if it is fixable? thanks much

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

can you move the blades by hand? you didnt mention that. If the blades dont move, a bearing has locked up and is preventing the rotor from moving.

if the blades spin free, the stator may have lost its magnetism, preventing it from interacting with the current in the coils. I havent heard of this happening before, but I guess its possible.

neither condition is fixable, sorry

-j
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG to oKubricko

Premium Member

to oKubricko
Does the fan spin freely and easily when you turn it by hand, and slowly come to stop, or does it feel stiff and come to a rapid stop after you give it a spin?

I'm thinking the shaft may be seized up or in dire need of lubrication.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

2 edits

jack b to oKubricko

MVM

to oKubricko
The capacitor is probably shot. It's a little black box in the switch housing.
»www.eceilingfans.com/cap ··· ans.html

You can probably find yours cheaper, link for information only.

oKubricko
Miamisburg, OH

oKubricko

The fan does spin freely in both directions. I was wondering if my daughter had it on the lowest fan setting and then was using the high, medium and low setting on the remote control and that burnt something in the fan motor itself.

That makes me wonder if it is a capacitor or some like the stator being demagnitized.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

DOH forgot about a cap.. tho a lot of smaller motors dont use one.

does make sense tho. cheapest place to start

-j

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

ceiling fans use the caps for the speed control.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to oKubricko

MVM

to oKubricko
Some fans have a PSC motor. A bad cap will sometimes keep it from starting. You should be able to spin it by hand and get it moving.

Quite frankly, Hampton Bay fans are low quality Chinese junk (as are most ceiling fans). It may not be worth the effort to repair it.

The brands that used to be good - such as Hunter or Emmerson are just higher quality Chinese junk now. I am not aware of any fan still manufactured domestically.
Some may say that foreign made fans are the "same fan, just made elsewhere", but it's quite obvious that quality is not the main concern in foreign made productions.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Haha yeah when I posted I completely forgot about capacitors.

Gone are the days when ceiling fans used huge shaded pole motors and could actually be lubricated. Those things just don't want to die.

Same can't be said about newer fans and their tiny motors though.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to oKubricko

Premium Member

to oKubricko
I honestly don't know anything about ceiling fans, but could it be a loose or missing set screw in the motor shaft?

bent
and Inga
Premium Member
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO

bent to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

Some may say that foreign made fans are the "same fan, just made elsewhere", but it's quite obvious that quality is not the main concern in foreign made productions.
If they cared about quality, Wal-Mart wouldn't be able to sell you a new one every 6 months.

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd to oKubricko

Premium Member

to oKubricko
Before you tear into it, Hampton Bay products come with a Lifetime Motor Warranty. Take it back to the dealer where you purchased it and see what they can do for you... (You DO still have that receipt, don't you?)

Anonymoose
@sbcglobal.net

Anonymoose to oKubricko

Anon

to oKubricko
I had the same issue. After dealer return period expires, they refer you to manufacturer for warranty issues.

Hampton Bay will send you a free capacitor if you call and give them your model no.

My model no. was located on TOP of the motor, you would never see it without removing it from the ceiling. There was a sticker too with a phone no. located on top.

oKubricko
Miamisburg, OH

oKubricko

Anonymoose,

Thanks for the heads up. When I was up checking the fan out I saw those stickers but didn't take a look at them. If it's as easy as replacing a capacitor I can save myself a lot of headache.
HD_michael
join:2009-09-25
Atlanta, GA

HD_michael

Hi this is Michael from Home Depot Customer Care. I will be glad to assist you. Please send an email with the fan model number (SKU/UPC) that is found on top of the motor housing. michael_care@homedepot.com

Michael
Customer Care
The Home Depot
Atlanta, GA 30339

Check out The Home Depot on Twitter, Facebook, & YouTube