share rss forum feed

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to STN

Re: [Internet] Bell Internet Performance - Slow speed

With the bell 2wire that page seems to be the only page accessible by the subscriber that has dsl line stats and the stats agree with stats shown by other modems

How to find and post 2701HG-G line statistics

ns90

join:2009-10-30
canada
reply to TheOptimus

what do you guys think about my stats, are they normal or ?

STN

join:2004-12-29
Canada

Seem ok. Can you post your:

twdsm.rate_net_ds
twdsm.rate_net_us

ns90

canada

twdsm.rate_net_ds = 1008;
twdsm.rate_net_us = 128;

STN

join:2004-12-29
Canada
reply to TheOptimus

ds = 4032kbps
us = 512kbps

about right

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ns90

said by ns90:

hey im new to this site

here are my stats

bell performance package (6mb/1mb)

the max im getting is 3.45mb and 0.40mb

twld.ds_capped_rate = 4032;

twdsm.attenuation_ds = 52.84; % Only calculated during training
twdsm.attenuation_us = 30.00; % Only calculated during training
twdsm.margin_ds = 9.00;
twdsm.margin_us = 15.00; % Only calculated during training
Given your attenuation, a 4-meg profile (~3.4 real life) is "about right". Some people get 5, some don't depending how the SNR is. Your SNR is at 9, and it appears you are on regular DSL.

If they bump you to 5-meg (fast) that SNR will drop around 6 and you will have problems.

What you can do is keep an eye on the SNR value (twdsm.margin_ds) over the course of the week and see how it changes. If you find it jumping from 9 to 6 then to 12, then yeah you have an issue that needs to be addressed and this would potentially give you 5-meg (if it actually jumps, if Bell gives you the time of day, if bells cares enough to address it and fix it, if its not an inside problem).

Want faster? Then you would have to go cable.

You could always ask in the direct forum if there is a remote in your area that you can be switched to w/o affecting cost, contract(s), etc etc.

But 4-meg (what you have) is "about right".

forgot2add

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ns90

Forgot to add, the upstream SNR is at 15 and you have a 512K upstream speed profile.

You have room for faster speed on the upstream.

So jump in the direct forum »Bell Canada Direct and tell them to give you what you are paying for and increase the upstream speed (unless of course if this SNR value of the upstream is jumping all over, which you can check yourself as said in the other post).

ns90

canada

1 edit
reply to STN

the max im getting is 3.45Mb/s and about 0.4 mb/s upload
i signed up for 6/1, but i called yesterday and found out its actually 7/1

the rep told me that i live about 3 km from the central office, the customers who live under 3km get closer to 6, but i did some reseach and found out im actually about 2.7km away

and the twdsm.margin_ds is 10 now

Mauricio
aka CigaR
Premium
join:2008-12-06
Montreal, PQ
kudos:1

Bell clearly says "up to" 7 mbps. It all depends on your line conditions.

Your current 4mbps sync is the best your line can handle at the moment. Perhaps setting interleave (error correction) on your line could allow a higher sync speed at the expense of ping (response time).

As it has been said, post in the direct forum and ask for the upload to be increased to 800 kbps.

Keep in mind that you want a "stable" connection at all times. Increasing the download sync with an already low SNR is bound to be problematic.

forgot again

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ns90

Don't forget to jump in the direct forum to get the upstream fixed.

Also, ask them if there is a remote you can get on.

Do this first while reading up and doing forum searches.

all gravy

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to ns90

said by ns90:

1. the max im getting is 3.45Mb/s and about 0.4 mb/s upload
i signed up for 6/1, but i called yesterday and found out its actually 7/1

2. the rep told me that i live about 3 km from the central office, the customers who live under 3km get closer to 6, but i did some reseach and found out im actually about 2.7km away

3. and the twdsm.margin_ds is 10 now
Yup, thats right for a 4-meg profile (4032 is what you have). To get real life speed you need to take that 4032 and multiply it by ~85%.

so 4032x85%= 3.4 (which is what you have). So this is correct.

What you buy and sign up for is rarely what you get with Bell. If you look through this forum you will see this. With Bell (or any DSL provider) it's buyer beware.

3km, 2.7km. 4km 1km.. all gravy. It does depend on distance, but also on the quality of the Bell land-line feeding you. Some people get even less than you at less distance.

For your attenuation (given there is no short affecting this value), what you have is "about right", though many have 5-meg.

If you want to see if it's your inside wiring that is maybe giving you a lower SNR (if its not due to the outside line itself), then search this forum for "testing at the demarc".

What the rep says and what happens in real life are two different things. Reps care only about a sale. That's it. That's all. With Bell it's buyer beware when calling them. This is a known fact as can be found through-out this forum.

3. an SNR jumping 1, 2 or even 3 points is no biggy and should be ignored. If it's more than 3 then there could be an issue at hand.

If it jumps from 9 to 6 then up to 12 or something, then the "spread" over time would be 12-6 = 6. 6 points is a lot and indicative of a problem that is indeed robbing you of the next higher up speed.

if it's 9, jumps to 10 then to 8, don't worry, the "spread" is nothing to be concerned about.

Review this forum more.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

You might be 2.7 km from the CO as the bird flies, but the phone line may actually go a LOT further than that. Phone lines snake all over the place. Most older lines went where it was convenient to run them, which is NOT necessarily the shortest path or even the shortest "along the roadways" paths. Often in city neighbourhoods they snake up one street and back down the next and up the next etc. In some crazy instances, you can live within metres of the CO, but you may be at the end of a kilometre of wire!

So, that must be taken into account ... and then it's the "electrical length" that really matters. Junctions, splices etc. all add to the electrical length of a wire.

Then there's the quality of the cables ... have squirrels eaten them, has a contractor injured the cable while installing a swimming pool, has a tree root grown into the cable. All these things tend to let water in that usually doesn't impact the voice qualities of the line, but can totally destroy it's use for DSL.

So, length is only the beginning and that's only an estimate!

ns90

canada
reply to TheOptimus

thanks for the info guys