spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Post your experience with AT&T Wireless here

This forum depends on your input. So ... give it.
lastmile4
join:2007-09-08
Robertsville, MO

lastmile4

Works pretty good for what I use it for:
- primarily IPSec VPN
- email / browsing
- some videos
- sharing connection over 2-4 devices via MBR1000
- bandwidth is decent compared to alternatives (Satellite)
- latency significantly better than Satellite but could be improved.

5GB cap could be improved as well as other similar ISP's.

Purchased service around Oct-Nov '08 and only two times noted when service was down for extended period but was fixed within several days.

Speedtest with two concurrent PC's online; one with VPN session and the test shows the other wide-open.

Bring-on the 7.2 HSPA!
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Nothing shabby about those speeds - looks good
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
I've got a phone through AT&T's prepaid Pay as You Go plan with a Samsung SGH-a167. The phones you can get through prepaid are quite affordable despite most of them being refurbished models. I'm on their $1 a day plan which gives me unlimited calls to AT&T cell phones and ten cents per minute for anyone I call who isn't on AT&T mobile. You also have the option of getting unlimited nights and weekends with the plan, which would cost about $20 a month. I normally spend $50 a month on my phone which besides the $1 a day plan, also includes Internet access on the phone (bought 100 MB for $20 first week I got the phone and paid $5 per month to get a single megabyte for the data to roll over) and 200 text messages a month ($5 a month which also roll over).

I'll admit that while the phones are affordable, the features can be a bit pricey if you go overboard with them or you try getting too much. I don't text message often, but my siblings would burn through 200 text messages quite quickly since they regularly text their friends. Fortunately, there are higher options for texting like getting 1000 messages ($10) or unlimited ($20). I don't have to worry about burning through data too quickly since I have Verizon Wireless for use on my computer at home as my main Internet connection and I only make use of the data connection on my phone while away from the house. Plus, my phone only gets a GPRS connection which is about as low as you get for a cell phone data connection nowadays. There are phones that do have an EDGE connection for a slight boost in speed if you want anything faster. I've also seen that there's a phone with a 3G connection, the Pantech C630, also available to purchase which could be either a blessing or a problem depending on your Internet browsing habits. Having a 3G connection near you with that phone would cost your 100 MB data plan to burn up quite quickly if you went overboard with Internet browsing.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

If you are in a Sprint footprint, you should look at »www.millenicom.com - all your worries about data caps will go away.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

I have. Have Nextel coverage, but roaming coverage with Sprint.
VRod105
join:2008-06-23
Barnhart, MO

VRod105 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Buyer Beware - Millenicom is selling a service without any negotiated contracts with their upstream providers. They will sell you unlimited service then change their Terms of Servie and cap you at 5GB.

Look at the Millenicom board and judge for yourself. They just screwed their users who were on the Verizon network.
ggultra2764
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764

Last I recall, Millenicom made clear they had to start capping service earlier this year and later added on the Unlimited option for those that had Sprint coverage in their area.
VRod105
join:2008-06-23
Barnhart, MO

1 edit

VRod105

They did not add Sprint it was already offered. They increased the price from $59 per month to $69 per month. Both the $59 and $69 plans were "unlimited".

The problem has nothing to do with what Millenicom offers. Most people would assume that if they are offering an unlimited service, that they have fully secured the rights to offer an unlimited service from their upstream providers. In the case of Verizon it is clear that they did not.