how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

flyingjoey

join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

Why I hate AT&T.

I was just down in South America for a week, and happened to have a 3gs unlocked and since I didn't want to be roaming at 3 dollars a minute I bought a local pre-paid sim card to my surprise as soon as I popped the SIM in, the MMS option became available. Furthermore the carrier offered prepaid customers a data option for $10 pesos (US$3.50) / 24 hours / 1 gig download.

I was there for 5 days, spent 50 pesos (or 13 dollars), had 5 gigs worth of download, would use skype over the cellular network to call back home (which I did very often). Was using SlingPlayer, was emailing pictures, at night at the hotel would stream movies and there was never an issue.

I really don't know what they're doing differently in Argentina (MoviStar), but I did notice speeds of 3Mbits a times both while tethering or using the SIM card in my unlocked USB Cell modem.

To make a long story short, why do I have to travel to Argentina in order to get deals like the one I got, and not here at home? Why can't AT&T keep up with other carriers?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
they do it b/c they can. they have stockholders to protect afterall. and I am sure that AT&T in Argentina is a different entire company than AT&T in the US.

Telco_Tech

join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH
reply to flyingjoey
Answer: Because AT&T is an incredibly inept / greedy pile of crap company.

- Tate

--
It's time to let go of TDM people. If it's not IP-based, it's crap!

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to flyingjoey
said by flyingjoey:

I was just down in South America for a week, and happened to have a 3gs unlocked and since I didn't want to be roaming at 3 dollars a minute I bought a local pre-paid sim card to my surprise as soon as I popped the SIM in, the MMS option became available. Furthermore the carrier offered prepaid customers a data option for $10 pesos (US$3.50) / 24 hours / 1 gig download.

I was there for 5 days, spent 50 pesos (or 13 dollars), had 5 gigs worth of download, would use skype over the cellular network to call back home (which I did very often). Was using SlingPlayer, was emailing pictures, at night at the hotel would stream movies and there was never an issue.

I really don't know what they're doing differently in Argentina (MoviStar), but I did notice speeds of 3Mbits a times both while tethering or using the SIM card in my unlocked USB Cell modem.

To make a long story short, why do I have to travel to Argentina in order to get deals like the one I got, and not here at home? Why can't AT&T keep up with other carriers?
I love those advantages of GSM.
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

join:2007-01-11
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

reply to Telco_Tech
Actually, the correct answer is that American wireless consumers are a bunch of nutted sheep who continue to pay for substandard service at inflated prices, so why would any company do anything but just take the money and whistle on the way to the bank? Until the money dries up there is no incentive to improve anything.

So if you pay AT&T or any other wireless carrier for crap service, you are directly at fault.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

I love those advantages of GSM.
Any cell standard can be turned to crap by a cheap carrier.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to 60529262
So if you pay AT&T or any other wireless carrier for crap service, you are directly at fault.
With 4 major carriers, we ought to have the option of picking at least one good carrier, but we don't. They conspire to overcharge. If you go to other countries, you also usually have several carriers on "standard" GSM networks that you can just buy a SIM for. Here, there's only two compatible networks.

You can't really fault customers when we have no good choices. I do my part by refusing to pay for unlimited texting.
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

chob

@cox.net
reply to 60529262
Finally someone who gets it!