Peculiar Mental Twist
Premium Member
join:2001-06-12
Anchorage, AK

Maxxxt to FenixSucks

Premium Member

to FenixSucks

Re: I think Qwest is blocking YOUTUBE

I have been having problems with the constant buffering on Youtube for the last month or so, also allot of 404, resets etc. With Youtube video running I would get spikes of speed every other second at barely half of my total speed, not enough to keep a standard video going.

I reset my DNS to one public and one open DNS with VERY promising results, it works fine now.

I guess Qwest's routing is messed up. On another note I just opted out of Qwest's 404 hijack advertising as well, it kinda bothered me. I wonder If that new "service" has anything to do with the slowdowns?
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Which new service?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to Maxxxt

Premium Member

to Maxxxt
Hmm, are you talking about the OpenDNS Guide page for loading errors?

like this: »guide.opendns.com/?url=w ··· rt7.html

Maxxxt
Peculiar Mental Twist
Premium Member
join:2001-06-12
Anchorage, AK

Maxxxt to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
I was talking about Qwest DNS redirecting "service".

»www.qwest.net/web.help/

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefruit

Not sure if it's related to slowdowns but I can't stand DNS redirect advertising.

caffeinator
Premium Member

caffeinator

Premium Member

Ah, I see.

I'm not using Qwest as an ISP directly, so I'd never heard of that before.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Turbocpe

Premium Member

to Turbocpe
said by Turbocpe:

I don't think this is a Qwest issue. With my cable ISP, some YouTube clips don't load, load slowly, and few load normally. YouTube has always been slow no matter what location or ISP I've used.
same here

downgrading to flash player 9 might fix it
as 10.0 disables hardware acceleration = slower

caffeinator
Premium Member

1 edit

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_ See Profile

Umm, where are you getting that info?

From the Flash 10 features page: »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· eatures/
quote:
Hardware acceleration Enhanced

Use the hardware processing power of the graphics card to paint SWF files into the browser and accelerate compositing calculations of bitmaps, filters, blend modes, and video overlays faster than would be performed in software.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by caffeinator:

said by Anonymous_ See Profile

Umm, where are you getting that info?

From the Flash 10 features page: »www.adobe.com/products/f ··· eatures/
quote:
Hardware acceleration Enhanced

Use the hardware processing power of the graphics card to paint SWF files into the browser and accelerate compositing calculations of bitmaps, filters, blend modes, and video overlays faster than would be performed in software.
»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· temreqs/

caffeinator
Premium Member

1 edit

caffeinator

Premium Member

All that means is if your computer isn't up to the task of HD video, neither is Flash.

Mine isn't as it's got onboard Intel video from 2004...I'm not gonna blame Flash over it though. I can watch HQ vids on YT just fine, but my video chokes on HD because it's old. It's not a Qwest or Adobe problem.

Flash blows for quality anyways..watch THIS SITE and see true HD...

This is news?

TubeSocks
@qwest.net

TubeSocks

Anon

said by caffeinator:

Flash blows for quality anyways..
Flash isn't really a determining factor in video quality. It is the codec, resolution, and bitrate that most influence quality.

The 1080p sources on CBS look great. Yes, they do look better if they are downloaded and played on a local player as opposed to streaming within the online flash player, but they still have very good quality either way.
jkozlow3
join:2009-12-10

3 edits

jkozlow3 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
Just to add my experience...

I don't really use YouTube, but I have been experiencing VERY slow HD movie trailer downloads with my Apple TV for awhile now. Lately, they have been taking up to 2-3 minutes to start playing.

I switched my DNS servers in the router to OpenDNS servers and now HD movie trailers play after 30-45 seconds like they used to!

I've switched the DNS back and forth in the router from Qwest>OpenDNS several times to verify that it was in fact related to the DNS change, and I get repeatable results each time. Something is VERY wrong with the Qwest DNS servers. I'm no expert and I don't pretend to know how all this stuff works, but if changing a single variable repeatedly results in 3-4x faster/slower speeds, there is a serious problem.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

I doubt it is the DNS servers. DNS just performs a name lookup, and passes an IP address to the client for access.

More likely it is BGP issue, return path, or something along those lines. Very likely, using OpenDNS causes YouTube to send you to a different content delivery server than using Qwest DNS, and you are experiencing a difference in the path. In which case, there is no problem with the DNS servers.

OTOH, connection between the CDN (i.e., YouTube) and your IP network requires cooperation between the networks.
So0o0Confuse
join:2010-01-08
Phoenix, AZ

So0o0Confuse to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
i just upgraded to the 12 MB from qwest, and i have absolutley NO problems on youtube i watch it all the time
Psythik
join:2007-10-03
Phoenix, AZ

Psythik to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
So I've been reading through this thread and so far have seen a bunch of jib jab instead of actual solutions. OpenDNS is an OK workaround, but it adds up to an extra 50-100ms to my ping. Does anyone have a real solution, or will this thread go on for another ten pages without providing any answers?

longstreet
join:2004-11-14
Plano, TX

longstreet to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
I've had 20 meg dsl for 6 month and no issues at all.

caffeinator
Premium Member

4 edits

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by longstreet:

I've had 20 meg dsl for 6 month and no issues at all.
Ditto.

I have the 7/896 service, upgraded from the 1.5/1 a few years ago. Both work just fine.

I think what people want is a perfect connect..fast all the time, no latency anywhere and cheap.

Newsflash: It does not exist.

Perhaps some think that packets from your computer go directly to your ISP and then wherever it is you're trying to go. This never happens. They are usually many hops that your ISP cannot control because they are outside of their network. The place you're trying to reach could be in a different timezone, a different country, or across the world.

When I ping seattle from spokane, it SHOULD go directly there right? It's only 300-odd miles, but that's not how the traffic is routed. Not even close. And there is nothing that can be done about that. It's all about peering arrangements, network conjestion, etc.

Changing DNS to other than your ISP's can help, or it might not. I use OpenDNS purely because they offer more features and arguably more security.

Here's a trace done just now...

--- 01/26/10 08:43:46 Pacific Standard Time
--- looking up host youtube.com
--- traceroute to youtube.com [74.125.45.100],
    30 hops max, 18 byte packets

1  [    192.168.0.1]  192.168.0.1  0 ms  
  2  [   66.45.176.66]  dsl1.spkn.tierpoint.com  45 ms  
  3  [   66.45.176.65]  66-45-176-65.ptr.llix.net  46 ms  
  4  [   66.45.179.33]  66-45-179-33.ptr.tierpoint.com  46 ms  
  5  [   65.61.96.117]  br2-20g-po6.spkn.tierpoint.com  46 ms  
  6  [    65.61.96.30]  pr1-ge-2-0.spkn.tierpoint.com  46 ms  
  7  [   206.81.80.17]  six.sea01.google.com  62 ms  
  8  [  209.85.249.32]  209.85.249.32  62 ms  
  9  [  72.14.233.117]  72.14.233.117  110 ms  
 10  [ 209.85.242.215]  209.85.242.215  126 ms  
 11  [  72.14.232.215]  72.14.232.215  126 ms  
 12  [ 209.85.253.145]  209.85.253.145  142 ms  
 13  [  74.125.45.100]  yx-in-f100.1e100.net  126 ms  

--- traceroute statistics for youtube.com
    13 packets transmitted, 13 received
    round-trip time (ms) min 0, avg 75, max 142

Notice how the ping nearly doubles as soon as it leaves my ISP, hits Google servers starting in Seattle and then bounces around inside Google's network on it's way to Cali? It's just how it is. The Internet is dynamic by it's very nature. It wasn't built to make any one person happy.

I've watched several YT vids today, including some embedded into Google News and other sites. They play just fine within seconds.

Perhaps you people with problems need to contact Google and ask them to look at their peering arrangements with Qwest?

*edit again..damn typos*
10825447 (banned)
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ

10825447 (banned) to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
I have never had an issue loading vids off of Youtube and I am on that site every day.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
works fine here

roozy1
@qwest.net

roozy1 to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
This may be an issue with some of Qwest's DNS servers, but it is not Qwest throttling these domains by design. I have no issues with my 3072/640 connection on Qwest DNS or OpenDNS either.
Loomy
join:2007-10-18
Littleton, CO

Loomy

I've been having on and off issues for over two years with youtube. Some videos (Most recently this one

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· rzkPg0Zs
) will not load quickly on some bitrates. This particular one only uses 100KBps out of my 1.2MBps on the 1080p setting, while it will load at 700KBps on the 720p setting. I don't believe the issue is with Qwest but with Youtube.
Expand your moderator at work
Brisk6
join:2003-07-11
Denver, CO

Brisk6 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks

Re: I think Qwest is blocking YOUTUBE

Tried to watch a 22-minute video last night.
It stalled at least five times for at least 20-30 seconds, forcing me to reload the page each time.
I eventually gave up on streaming it and just downloaded the video using the downloadhelper extension for firefox. Even then, I had to keep pausing and resuming the download to "stimulate" it when it stalled.

Just adding my story to the pile.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

I agree with Loomy
FenixSucks
join:2007-06-21
Leavenworth, WA

FenixSucks

It's the OP reporting back.

My service is 7M/896k here, and YouTube access is not what I consider acceptable for 7Mbps download speed.

Qworst is Qworst.

240p works good on a good day
360p eh....
720p? FORGET IT!
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

It's either your PC or youtube.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe to FenixSucks

Premium Member

to FenixSucks
I've said it before, but I'm a Mediacom and Qwest customer and I see this performance issue on both ISPs, intermittently, with YouTube where it barely can stream ahead of the video. Sometimes if I refresh the video the status bar shows a different server for the video and it may work significantly better.
FenixSucks
join:2007-06-21
Leavenworth, WA

FenixSucks

Definitely not PC. Take the laptop to campus, connect to their WiFi and streaming is silk smooth.
fragile
join:2011-06-16

fragile

I am a recent customer to Qwest DSL. I have the 7mbps speed. I switched from Comcast. I have noticed extreme slowness with video sites like youtube. It might work initially, but after a few videos it starts to slow down. I then run a speed test and my download speed drops below 1mbps. I then try other sites and other computers and its the same extreme slowness on any site. If you wait and come back perhaps in 30 minutes, the speed seems back to normal.

I should say I was using the supplied Q1000 modem/router from Qwest initially. I just changed my setup to bypass the router portion and the routing is now handled by my old router which I was using with no problem with Comcast. So between switching routers, computers, websites, the problem is either with the modem which seems unlikely, or with Qwest itself.

Has anyone experienced this?

thanks

Azzonie
@qwest.net

Azzonie

Anon

I have Qwest at home and at work. We have multiple people streaming youtube all day long with very few issues. The same with netflix, which uses a lot more bandwidth.