Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m0unds

join:2003-02-17
Albuquerque, NM
reply to FenixSucks

Re: I think Qwest is blocking YOUTUBE

It wouldn't surprise me if YT's system was routing your requests to an overloaded server. It happens all the time. If YT takes your request and directs it to a server on the other side of the country with a horrible route to your connection at home, or they take your request and send it to a server that is having issues, then there's not much you can do about it as that's the nature of the beast.

ComcastH8R

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

Soooooo, I just joined Qwest, and this issue just started?

I'm in Albuquerque New Mexico...

Same issue is happening to me as well, exactly as everyone else is describing it.

If I can use this service perfectly fine with another ISP it wouldn't matter where You Tube was routing, as it works.

I assume no one has has any sort of success? I REALLY don't want to go back to comcast.

m0unds

Albuquerque, NM

I have no problems with Youtube, other than when their load balancers route me to congested connections or overloaded servers.

riklerar

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

I'm having this same problem youtube will not load, but everything else on the internet works fine. Other ISPs load youtube fine. So either youtube or quest are blocking...

Monkekysez

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

I am having this same exact problem. I spent over 1 1/2 hours having them "test" my line. They changed my circuit but I am still having problems. They are sending me a replacement modem tomorrow and if that does not resolve the issue, I am canceling my service. Tech support is a joke.

I am located in Provo, Utah. This seems to be a Utah and Colorado problem.

FenixSucks

join:2007-06-21
Leavenworth, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Monkekysez :

I am having this same exact problem. I spent over 1 1/2 hours having them "test" my line. They changed my circuit but I am still having problems. They are sending me a replacement modem tomorrow and if that does not resolve the issue, I am canceling my service. Tech support is a joke.

I am located in Provo, Utah. This seems to be a Utah and Colorado problem.
This seems to be QWEST problem. I'm in OR. Other users in OR and WA are complaining, as is my friend in OR.

rod_pod

join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

I am located in MT and have no problem with Youtube or Qwest. I was able to view the video in your earlier post (as well as several others) with no problem.
--
rod_pod

FenixSucks

Leavenworth, WA

YouTube is everything. Without YouTube, internet is only half the fun.

THANK YOU Qwest for not really addressing the matter.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

said by FenixSucks:

Wonder how I push hundred or more gig some months without using much youtube? or torrents.

Friendof

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

I am in Salt Lake City and I am having the same problems. Multiple computers here at home are having this problem. Took computer to friends house and had no problems loading youtube at all.

If anyone figures this out I will forever be in your debt.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to FenixSucks

Hello Everyone, I just want to leave a comment here to anyone that may read this forum thread. Qwest, as a company, does not throttle or block specific websites.

If you are having issues with using or uploading to YouTube, we would be more than happy to looking into your issue with you. Please send us an e-mail to TalkToUs@Qwest.com, or send us a private message, and let us know what is happening. We will research this further for you on an individual basis.

Thanks everyone,

B
Consumer Affairs Manager
Qwest Communications
www.socialmedia.qwest.com

m0unds

Albuquerque, NM
reply to FenixSucks

Have any of you tried using 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 & 4.2.2.4 for DNS?

Others who haven't tried changing DNS providers, use the aforementioned addresses or 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 for OpenDNS and see if it fixes your issues. It could just be that Youtube is pointing Qwest's resolver to an IP that has a bad route.

mrhuggles

join:2007-03-29
Ames, IA
reply to CenturyLink

said by CenturyLink:

Hello Everyone, I just want to leave a comment here to anyone that may read this forum thread. Qwest, as a company, does not throttle or block specific websites.

If you are having issues with using or uploading to YouTube, we would be more than happy to looking into your issue with you. Please send us an e-mail to TalkToUs@Qwest.com, or send us a private message, and let us know what is happening. We will research this further for you on an individual basis.

Thanks everyone,

B
Consumer Affairs Manager
Qwest Communications
www.socialmedia.qwest.com
if you really care to save face explain to us why if we access it with any proxy it will be fine but if we try to access it directly it constantly stalls

azzonie3

join:2004-04-13
Phoenix, AZ

4 edits

1 recommendation

This should make you happy.

»YouTube does not work for me (unless I use a proxy)

»www.youtube.com/profile?user=YouTubeHelp

Most likely you guys are seeing a youtube problem. Depending on where you live will route you to one of their many servers. Sometimes the server you are getting routed to sucks.

There are many threads about youtube performance from every possible isp you can imagine. If you keep getting routed to the same crappy server you will likely see the same bad performance, as others have found out in other threads. Read this entire thread if you want to learn something.

»[LA] Youtube videos loading slow as hell...?

Using a proxy will likely rout you to a diffrent less congested server. Pretty simple really.

Here is a list of known youtube problems at the moment.

»www.google.com/support/youtube/b···ssues.cs

As you can see it is a pretty large list. I suggest calling google to see if they can update some of their tired old servers.

Every major isp here on DSLReports.com has threads complaning about youtube, but it certainly could not be a youtube problem, right?

skriefal

join:2002-12-26
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

reply to FenixSucks

Salt Lake City here. I'm not a heavy Youtube user, but I have seen these same issues on many of my attempts to use Youtube over the last month or so.

I noticed that with Qwest's DNS server I'm directed to Youtube servers in the 74.125.127.* subnet. The forward path when sending data to these servers is via the Level3 backbone.

With the 4.2.2.* DNS servers I'm directed to Youtube servers in the 74.125.47.* or 74.125.115.* subnets. The forward path when sending data to these addresses is via the AT&T backbone. (A bit humorous, since the 4.2.2.* DNS servers are operated by Level3 -- but this choice is likely being made by Youtube/Google, not by Level3 or AT&T).

Now, the path that the data from Youtube takes to return to the requestor is not necessarily the reverse of the path used to send the request TO Youtube. That is... the request might travel to Youtube via the AT&T backbone, but the response come back via the Level3 backbone. But IIRC that's rare. So the response is usually returned via the same backbone from which the request was received.

So if the issues are lessened when using the 4.2.2.* (Level3) DNS servers, then this suggests that the Level3 backbone is the issue. And that suggests a possible peering problem between Qwest and Level3, or between Youtube and Level3.

FenixSucks

Leavenworth, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Restaurants still have to make sure their customers are happy and don't blame every problem on "oh but it's our suppliers' fault"

The fact is when I connect via a Comcast connection, YouTube doesn't struggle. With Qworst, it does, and one day is acceptable, weeks consecutively is not.

What has Qwest done so far? Two Twitter reps posted to give us a canned message "At Qwest customer matter, please contact us privately" rather than address a number of people having the same problem publicly.

If I wanted it addressed one-on-one, I would continue bugging them with LiveChat, but addressing publicly allows me to see if many others are having the same problem

dennj

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

i couldnt use youtube for a couple weeks ...now suddenly today, it works again. hoooray!

FenixSucks

Leavenworth, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by dennj :

i couldnt use youtube for a couple weeks ...now suddenly today, it works again. hoooray!
Hey Qworst, if I call and %@(*) you will refund me at least a good chunk of my internet bill, correct?

The only reason I pay for 7M instead of 1M is YouTube, so I want no less than the difference back, oh and since it was not performing to 1M level, I want MORE refund. got that Qwest?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
reply to FenixSucks

Hmmm. IDK mate.

Every YT vid you posted works fine here and starts playing within seconds of page load.

I do use a local 3rd-party Qwest ISP (who has their own Datacenter) and also use OpenDNS as a secondary in addition to my ISP's in my router...that could be it.

I have a lot of videos on YT myself, and like you I upgraded to 7M from 1.5 for similar reasons. So yeah, if it didn't work I'd be frelled. But, considering most of my actual video watching is DivX or direct downloads, I'm not worried much.

Current train is: Tx Rate 768 Rx Rate 7168

My Trace:

Tracing route to youtube.com [74.125.45.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    56 ms    47 ms    47 ms  dsl1.spkn.tierpoint.com [66.45.176.66]
  3    55 ms    47 ms    47 ms  66-45-176-65.ptr.llix.net [66.45.176.65]
  4    55 ms    47 ms    47 ms  66-45-179-33.ptr.tierpoint.com [66.45.179.33]
  5    54 ms    47 ms    47 ms  br2-10g-2-2.spkn.tierpoint.com [65.61.96.37]
  6    54 ms    47 ms    47 ms  pr1-ge-2-0.spkn.tierpoint.com [65.61.96.30]
  7    55 ms    63 ms    63 ms  six.sea01.google.com [206.81.80.17]
  8   165 ms    95 ms    63 ms  209.85.249.34
  9   103 ms   111 ms   159 ms  216.239.43.81
 10   119 ms   127 ms   127 ms  72.14.236.26
 11   118 ms   127 ms   127 ms  209.85.254.241
 12   136 ms   143 ms   143 ms  209.85.253.145
 13   119 ms   127 ms   127 ms  yx-in-f100.google.com [74.125.45.100]

Trace complete.

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

skriefal

join:2002-12-26
Sandy, UT

Looks like your ISP (Tierpoint) has a direct connection to Google's network. So it's probable that you'll encounter very few -- if any -- issues with Youtube or other Google-operated sites.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO
reply to azzonie3

said by azzonie3:

Every major isp here on DSLReports.com has threads complaning about youtube, but it certainly could not be a youtube problem, right?
Apparently providing such information is isn't the answer that is being looked for, so the looking continues.
--
I'm not a tax dodger, I'm a potential cabinet appointee!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to skriefal

said by skriefal:

Looks like your ISP (Tierpoint) has a direct connection to Google's network. So it's probable that you'll encounter very few -- if any -- issues with Youtube or other Google-operated sites.
Yeah, Webband is just the consumer ISP wing of Tierpoint.

They have serious connectivity though...Qwest is only one of them.

quote:
»www.tierpoint.com/data_center/co···vity.php

Multiple Providers/Redundant & Diverse Routes

We provision bandwidth and connectivity from multiple providers, including AT&T, Qwest, Global Crossing, Savvis, Time Warner, Integra, XO Communications, Columbia Fiber, SGN, Pacific Northwest GigaPOP, 360 Networks, NoaNet, One Eighty Networks, and others. Most of these providers are setup on physically diverse paths. This insures your business service without disruptions.

I pay extra over the PFL $30-odd bucks for my Qwest bill, but it's well worth it. I know it doesn't help the OP, but just providing some perspective.

-Caff
--

smokestack00

join:2009-04-14
reply to AthlGrond

I dont care who's problem it is. If its a Youtube problem, a Qwest problem or a backbone problem somewhere, it doesnt matter to me. All I know is that the internet connection Im paying for wont load 30% of the Youtube videos I try to play. People I know with different internet providers are not having this problem.

I understand that Youtube has problem with all ISP's from time to time, but this isnt a random intermittent problem. This has been a constant everyday problem going on for almost 2 months.

The only answer Im hearing, is that if you have Qwest and are having problems loading Youtube, you are out of luck as no one can do anything about it. You are stuck with it. Switching providers is the only way to fix it.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

said by smokestack00:

The only answer Im hearing, is that if you have Qwest and are having problems loading Youtube, you are out of luck as no one can do anything about it. You are stuck with it. Switching providers is the only way to fix it.
You do have my sympathies that it isn't working at all correctly for you.

What I was hearing in the post I replied to is: "Here is something you can try if you don't want to switch providers. Oh, and switching provers may not solve the problem in any case."

/shrug
--
I'm not a tax dodger, I'm a potential cabinet appointee!

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA

3 edits

It's been stated, but I guess people can't get the concept that after your packets leave the ISP's network, anything can and will happen to them in the wild-west of Internet routing.

Some ISP's just have setup better peering deals with other carriers for network transport than others...

Try tracing youtube.com and then it's IP...I bet you get two different traces.

Why? Hell if I know. They have so many servers and massive dynamic internal routing it's insane...who knows what you'll hit from one minute to the next.

Before being bought by Google, I had a lot less issues with YT. Now to login, I have to allow cookies from like 3 domains...ugh.

Oh, check this if ya curious about Qwest's network: »stat.qwest.net/index_flash.html

According to that, the Portland TeraPOP is doing fine.

--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to FenixSucks

said by FenixSucks:

... what do you get on »www.geoiptool.com? It tells me my region is "Vancouver, WA"
What does a geolocator service have to do with the price of tea in China?

Interesting that the site you linked locates me in Hercules, California, despite that the actual connection host name includes the city code for Pleasanton, California (where the aggregation router is located). I am not in either city.

You have issues, obviously; but now you are thrashing around.

Does your Youtube connection hang on that 's.ytimg.com' host? I haven't got farther through the thread, yet, so pardon me if you've finally done it. How about a trace route to that host?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to FenixSucks

said by FenixSucks:

Tier 1 and Tier 2 support are geared to troubleshooting DSL transport problems between the CPE and the DSLAM; and, maybe, to the aggregation router. They are pretty useless for dealing with transit issues beyond the edge of the network.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a "looking glass" check for Google transit. Qwest offers one, and that let me look at both forward, and reverse path between my (ATTIS) Internet connection, and a Qwest LG server.

Forward path (me to Qwest):
09/23/09 11:33:33 Slow traceroute sea-engr-01.inet.qwest.net
Trace sea-engr-01.inet.qwest.net (205.171.26.253) ...
192.168.0.1     RTT:   0ms TTL:170 (suzuka.aosake.net ok)
69.110.151.254  RTT:   9ms TTL:170 (adsl-69-110-151-254.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net ok)
76.246.22.130   RTT:   9ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
69.220.8.95     RTT:   8ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
12.122.114.17   RTT:  10ms TTL:170 (ggr7.sffca.ip.att.net fraudulent rDNS)
192.205.36.2    RTT:  11ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
67.14.1.194     RTT:  32ms TTL:170 (sea-core-01.inet.qwest.net fraudulent rDNS)
205.171.26.46   RTT:  32ms TTL:170 (sea-svcs-01.inet.qwest.net fraudulent rDNS)
205.171.26.253  RTT:  32ms TTL:243 (sea-engr-01.inet.qwest.net ok)

Reverse path (Qwest to me):
Traceroute to aosake.net from sea-engr-01.inet.qwest.net

traceroute: Warning: ckecksums disabled
traceroute to aosake.net (69.110.149.255), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  205.171.26.241 (205.171.26.241)  0.785 ms  1.612 ms  0.492 ms
 2  205.171.26.45 (205.171.26.45)  0.505 ms  1.584 ms  0.499 ms
 3  205.171.26.54 (205.171.26.54)  0.639 ms  12.016 ms  0.573 ms
 4  192.205.36.49 (192.205.36.49)  0.605 ms  0.642 ms  0.490 ms
 5  12.122.146.174 (12.122.146.174)  24.038 ms  23.785 ms  23.727 ms
 6  cr1.sffca.ip.att.net (12.122.28.33)  24.541 ms  24.713 ms  24.036 ms
 7  12.83.59.13 (12.83.59.13)  23.613 ms  23.609 ms  23.511 ms
 8  bb2-p10-1.snfcca.sbcglobal.net (70.245.63.238)  23.540 ms  23.614 ms  35.952 ms
 9  151.164.38.242 (151.164.38.242)  23.523 ms  23.472 ms  23.471 ms
10  151.164.93.230 (151.164.93.230)  23.505 ms  23.949 ms  23.567 ms
11  rback11-g1-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net (64.164.107.35)  23.430 ms  23.629 ms  23.487 ms
12  * * *
13  * * *

Which is odd in one sense: My connection does respond to ICMP, so I don't know why Qwest isn't showing my DSL modem for the last hop.

I think it would be interesting to see a reverse path trace to a Google content server. Probably never happen, though.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Back2Cable

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

I am with qwest colorado and we have just noticed this within the last few days. Only happens with YouTube. Haven't tried Hulu.com yet, but all other sites that I have tried work just fine.

sommie

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

I'm in Farmington, NM here and experiencing the same youtube issue as well. I have an iMac and a laptop running Vista experiencing the same problem. I've tried multiple youtube videos with about a 10% chance of them playing. Right now I can't even load the youtube main page which led me to do a google search to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I am on a wireless network but same thing happens when plugged directly into the DSL modem. HULU and just about every other website works fine. Youtube is the only site I consistently have problems with. Either the main page won't load or the video webpage loads with either a blank black window where the vid supposed to be or the buffering icon.

lindyhopper

@qwest.net
reply to FenixSucks

same exact thing is happening to me in santa fe, nm. youtube was working sporadically and is not working at all. i really do think qwest is blocking youtube. they both confirm that they do this and then deny it. this is an illegal paradox. *sigh* really considering comcast at the moment.