Search similar:

uniqs
FenixSucks
join:2007-06-21
Leavenworth, WA

3 edits

FenixSucks

I think Qwest is blocking YOUTUBE

I'm having issues with YouTube videos not loading up at all and indefinitely stuck at the loading indicator going around and around.

Tried IE and FF, on two different computers with the same result. I rebooted the DSL modem and it allowed me to actually load some videos, but not all.

Does anyone know if YouTube is having issue in itself, or is it Qwest, or is there something specific to Qwest-YouTube? If so, please shout-out here, and if you don't mind, please share your location.

Update:
The issue only started recently. Connecting to a wireless access point other than my own resolves the issue, as does using Youtubeproxy.org

On my Qwest, it stalls at "Waiting for s.ytimg.com"

So, Qwest may not be specifically blocking the service, but the CSRs couldn't figure out the problem, they type like they're talking on an instant messenger between teens and generally, for what I pay, the quality of service fails to meet my expectations. That's the "Spirit of Service" there.
mrhuggles
join:2007-03-29
Ames, IA

mrhuggles

Re: YouTube excruciatingly slow, YouTube or Qwest?

its qwest, they have been throttling youtube for a while now, they admit it and deny it on a regular basis lol
FenixSucks
Leavenworth, WA

FenixSucks

I chat with a Qwest.net Live Rep, who didn't exactly have the best business like manner and questionable credibility. I've never seen a live chat person letting so many typos sent out (no0t, access po8int kind of errors).

He wanted to send a tech out. It's nice of him to try to help me out, but no, I can't just free up four hours in middle of the day. He wanted me to leave 1-5PM available for a tech to come by. I can't just open up four hours during that time frame. Who can??

When I told him that when I accessed a different access point by WiFi served by a different ISP, problems went away, he said he was going to do a DNS check and said that tested out fine.

I have a 7Mbps/896kbps service. Some YouTube videos don't just load slowly. They STALL and not load at all. I guess hoping for their 20Mbps service would be futile if they'll be throttling it.

So, whom to switch to?

comeonnn
@qwest.net

1 recommendation

comeonnn to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks

Re: I think Qwest is blocking YOUTUBE

my gosh-all-mightly...

Do you REALLY think a provider would want it's customers to not use the number 1 thing on the internet?

You have an MTU, DNS or line issue and need to get it fixed...

Do other video sites work ok? What do qwest speed tests look like? What is you line look like etc etc
FenixSucks
Leavenworth, WA

FenixSucks

Qwest speed test and third party speed test looks great providing ~6Mbps on 7Mbps training.

The Qwest support chat confirmed line is fine, there is no DNS issue. YouTube loads fine if I use a proxy, as have been reported by other users.

It hasn't been delivering 7mbps like speed on YouTube for quite a few months, but tolerable, but the last two weeks or so has been horrible.
Turbocpe
Premium Member
join:2001-12-22
IA

Turbocpe

Premium Member

I don't think this is a Qwest issue. With my cable ISP, some YouTube clips don't load, load slowly, and few load normally. YouTube has always been slow no matter what location or ISP I've used.

no_one
@qwest.net

no_one to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
Do a search this has happened before. Somewhere in the routing it is goofing up. Not a throttle.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
I was using youtube last night & it was working fine for me & I also use Q.

Slamma
@qwest.net

Slamma to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
You're not the only one having this issue. I'm seeing the same thing.

I have two connections: Qwest DSL and a local cable internet provider. I can put my connections on different computers and side-by-side them...

So when I load a youtube video, it loads & plays normally on my cable connection. However the Qwest DSL connected computer gets the 'waiting for s.ytimg.com' and the infinite spinning/buffering symbol. Sometimes a video will load and play normally, but most do not.

zippy 800
@qwest.net

zippy 800

Anon

hey, i just noticed that also . im getting problems and emails from q.com and u tube. there is ? something fishy with qwest and you tube..
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

What emails are you getting?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
Hello FenixSucks, Sorry to hear about your issues when trying to view video on. YouTube. Contrary to the post, Qwest does not restrict or throttle these downloads. If you have issues with the DSL service we would be glad to help, just email us at talktous@qwest.com, we can take a look.

Regards,

Steve Schwartz

Manager - Talk To Qwest Team
www.twitter.com/TalkToQwest
TalkToUs@qwest.com

Deeku
@qwest.net

Deeku to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
I am glad I found this. I too use Qwest. I too am having these exact same issues. I have tried from all three computers in my house with different browsers, both wired and unwired.

Most of the time YouTube doesn't even load at all, but sometimes I can get to a video. If the video starts out with the swirling image on the video, it will not play. If the video starts out as paused, I click play and it will load. If the video area is empty, it won't load.

It likes to stop especially at s.ytimg.com

This has happened before in the past before and after I had completely upgraded the firmware on my router.

I am on a 3mbps connection. I have a friend who is on a connection less than 1mbps (not Qwest) and he has no issue viewing YouTube.

You call Qwest support at your own sanity. The answer to everything is recycle the modem. They do not understand the meaning of "it is not working" and will continue to tell you to recycle the modem and assure you that your internet is at the speed it should be repeatedly until you get mad and hang up on them.

Next Friday we are going with Comcast. It's cheaper, more reliable, and 8mbps fiber optic for cheaper than 3mbps DSL is a winner in my book anyday.
Greezy
join:2005-09-23
Salt Lake City, UT

Greezy to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
I have emailed Qwest and asked for a thorough inspection of the issue. We will see what they say. I will post the reply here when/if I get it.

I would like to think they want to address this as this could be a customer killer for them if they don't. Comcast here we come eh!
azzonie3
join:2004-04-13
Phoenix, AZ

azzonie3 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
I have 3 Qwest DSL lines. I have at least 10 people using youtube at any one time with no issues at all. It could be a local problem I guess but youtube is a very popular website. It would be the death of an IP to actually block or filter one of the most popular web sites in the world. A few weeks back we had a simular thread claiming Pirates Bay was being blocked. Turns out the problem was not qwest. I suspect you guys are seeing something simular.

RenHoek
You Eeeediot
Premium Member
join:2000-10-02
Peyton, CO

RenHoek to FenixSucks

Premium Member

to FenixSucks
Works fine here on my qwestoffice.net line.

no_one
@qwest.net

no_one to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
It is not being blocked or throttled. If anything it is a glitch in the upstream routing. May or may not be DNS related. Do a search for more info. Does not always affect just Qwest.
I can not remember the full details.
no_one

no_one to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
Any type of youtube in particular you are having a problem with. I really do not use you tube but do watch some videos linked off other sites like this. Have not had any problems on Qwest 12meg out of Phoenix.
Are some videos bigger than others, a different type. Like said only indirectly see youtube. Have seen it some in last few days also no problem.
FenixSucks
Leavenworth, WA

1 edit

FenixSucks to Slamma

to Slamma
Those of you having the same problem, what area are you guys in?

Some videos don't work and those that don't even if you reload it many times.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· _oHDLZdc

Just one of the many that does not work for me
banjo_john
join:2005-10-28
Loveland, CO

banjo_john

Works just fine for me in Colorado. Doesn't look like a Qwest issue.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
That works fine for me out of Phoenix 12 meg service. I have Qwest DNS servers first then level3 as fail over.

KevinP
@qwest.net

KevinP to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
I just upgraded to the 7meg DSL package (which is turning out to be anything but) and am experiencing the same Youtube problems. I have yet to find a video that I can watch without having to pause it first to buffer, which isn't surprising considering that my bandwidth meter peaks at about 650kbps for all Youtube vids. Something is definitely wrong. I got better performance under the 1.5meg tier.
FenixSucks
Leavenworth, WA

1 edit

FenixSucks to nonymous

to nonymous
How do I change my DNS server? I have Qwest with MSN package and as an end user, I have the equipment connected properly and when I can access YouTube just fine with Comcast, but not with Qwest, then, I consider that a Qwest problem.

That particular spoiled girl video loads now, but the general slowness with YouTube and some videos not loading at all despite repeated reloading remains at large.
FenixSucks

1 edit

FenixSucks

It's not doing any better and it looks like I'm not alone with this issue, unsurprisingly.

Qwest needs to get this straightened out in the next few days, as I'm going to cancel the service if it doesn't or at the very least switch to a less expensive 1Mbit plan.

7Mbit is absolutely useless to me over 1Mbps when I can't enjoy YouTube.

As of now, this one doesn't work. Switch over to Comcast connection and it works.

Maybe it isn't specifically "Qwest" issue, but using a different provider showed that it isn't my computer or me that is the problem. Any network issue uplink of my DSL modem is their problem.

I really don't know what I can do, other than ditch 'em, when multiple tech support agent's best answer is "your line is fine, nobody else complained, DNS looks to be in working order, we don't filter services and I'm not sure what you can do".

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0Ive0TFw

This one works fine on my Qwest though:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· tu7Aapys

This is consistent with a few other complaints. Some videos just do not work.
soitgoes2
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14

soitgoes2 to FenixSucks

Premium Member

to FenixSucks
said by FenixSucks:

How do I change my DNS server?
OpenDNS provides instructions here:
»www.opendns.com/start/

Give it a shot.

Deeku
@qwest.net

Deeku to FenixSucks

Anon

to FenixSucks
To the question as to where the people who are having problems are located. Sandy, UT.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

dynodb to FenixSucks

Premium Member

to FenixSucks
said by FenixSucks:

Maybe it isn't specifically "Qwest" issue, but using a different provider showed that it isn't my computer or me that is the problem. Any network issue uplink of my DSL modem is their problem.
Not really. No provider is responsible for what happens outside their own network. An ISP can't solve every problem on every network on the Internet.

Things like this happen all the time, affecting subscribers of different providers differently. Today, Qwest customers might have trouble with youtube; the next month Comcast subscribers might have the same issue. That doesn't imply that the problem is necessarily with Qwest or Comcast at all- it could be with youtube's own provider or a carrier between.
smokestack00
join:2009-04-14

smokestack00 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
Iam in Salem Oregon and am having the same problems. Some of the videos dont load no matter what. I can reload the page 20 times and it just wont play.

The 2 videos you posted as having problems with wont load for me either.

I think Qwest routes its Salem customers through Portland, so maybe there is a problem at their Portland POP?
azzonie3
join:2004-04-13
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

azzonie3 to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks
»Update: Youtube slow again
»[LA] Youtube videos loading slow as hell...?
»[ALL] Youtube streaming fixed by switching to non-Cox DNS server

You will see threads with youtube complaints from about every isp. Here is a few from Cox customers. Or Comcast.

»Youtube and Comcast Problems?
»YouTube very slow?
»[Connectivity] Connectivity to YouTube?
»Youtube+HD videos SLOW streaming is back. :(

Ect. there are many more.
FenixSucks
Leavenworth, WA

2 edits

FenixSucks to smokestack00

to smokestack00
said by smokestack00:

Iam in Salem Oregon and am having the same problems. Some of the videos dont load no matter what. I can reload the page 20 times and it just wont play.

The 2 videos you posted as having problems with wont load for me either.

I think Qwest routes its Salem customers through Portland, so maybe there is a problem at their Portland POP?
When you do a reverse DNS, do you get "ptld.qwest.net" and what do you get on »www.geoiptool.com? It tells me my region is "Vancouver, WA"