All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mrhuggles
join:2007-03-29
Ames, IA

mrhuggles to FenixSucks

to FenixSucks

Re: YouTube excruciatingly slow, YouTube or Qwest?

its qwest, they have been throttling youtube for a while now, they admit it and deny it on a regular basis lol
FenixSucks
join:2007-06-21
Leavenworth, WA

FenixSucks

I chat with a Qwest.net Live Rep, who didn't exactly have the best business like manner and questionable credibility. I've never seen a live chat person letting so many typos sent out (no0t, access po8int kind of errors).

He wanted to send a tech out. It's nice of him to try to help me out, but no, I can't just free up four hours in middle of the day. He wanted me to leave 1-5PM available for a tech to come by. I can't just open up four hours during that time frame. Who can??

When I told him that when I accessed a different access point by WiFi served by a different ISP, problems went away, he said he was going to do a DNS check and said that tested out fine.

I have a 7Mbps/896kbps service. Some YouTube videos don't just load slowly. They STALL and not load at all. I guess hoping for their 20Mbps service would be futile if they'll be throttling it.

So, whom to switch to?
cyclone_z
join:2006-06-19
Ames, IA

cyclone_z to mrhuggles

to mrhuggles
said by mrhuggles:

its qwest, they have been throttling youtube for a while now, they admit it and deny it on a regular basis lol
Judging from posts like these, Qwest needs to get on this problem and figure out a solution. It's probably no fault of theirs, but their customers don't know what is going on and automatically assume Qwest is blocking youtube.

longstreet
join:2004-11-14
Plano, TX

longstreet

quote -
quote:
You can't fix stupid
az_nemesis
join:2009-09-26

1 edit

az_nemesis to mrhuggles

to mrhuggles
said by mrhuggles:

This is a huge concern for me. I have a 9yo autistic son. YouTube is where he spends almost all of his Internet time. He's obsessed with Disney and Nickelodeon. He watches videos for hours. If I pay for a service, I expect to get to use it as I see fit (within the bounds of legality, of course). Is this in their contract? Do they notify users of it at all? This reminds me of when MSN would block access to certain Usenet groups because it considered them immoral.
said by CenturyLink:

Contrary to the post, Qwest does not restrict or throttle these downloads.
I very much hope this is the case.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by az_nemesis:

If I pay for a service, I expect to get to use it as I see fit (within the bounds of legality, of course).
A.) All residential ISP service is on a "best effort" basis. If you need an SLA, you can get ISDN, T1, etc.

B.) Any residential ISP is at the mercy of the connectivity with the destination. Not all ISPs have a direct peering agreement with CDNs, and not all CDNs have direct peering with all ISP upstream providers. Any ISP relying on third party transit to a destination can run into problems when the destination transit network is choking for some reason.

So your ability to use your Internet connection is dependent upon a number of factors reflected by the "best effort" nature of low cost Internet access; not all of which are under your provider's control.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

1 edit

caffeinator

Premium Member

Precisely.

I'm a fan of Megaupload for example, one of the largest filehosts around....normally I'll get 600kb/s download and 75kb/s upload from them...earlier I was getting barely 100 down and upload timed out.

Wasn't anyone's fault in particular though, just how the network cookie crumbles.