« New Speeds!
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 ... 24 · 25 · 26 · next

bigburd

join:2009-09-14
Butte, MT
kudos:1
reply to soadlink

Re: Massive Slowdowns?

could you tell me the settings your using in the config to get these nicer looking graphs? I have a system running here watching all the bresnan routers as well but the deviation (i think? the shady areas to the sides of the green lines) is making the graphs hard to read.

»/r3/smokeping.···529d.CA1

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

In a perfect connection there would be no shade. As you suspected the shade is deviation from the average, the colored line being the average. The more shade, the worse the connection and the more jitter.

bigburd

join:2009-09-14
Butte, MT
kudos:1

thanks you just helped me immensly

alphainfinit2

join:2007-07-16
Whitefish, MT

4 edits
reply to bigburd

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
The top graph represents the problem device we have all noticed in our traceroutes. The next graph is the impact I am seeing when trying to browse the net. The third graph represents historical data on how my modem is doing on power levels. I spoke with them again and they don't have an ETA on when this will be resolved. All I can say is that I would suggest talking to a customer service rep and getting a refund for the month. Meanwhile, they seem to have some concerns that the upstream power levels on my modem are above normal(should be in the mid 40's) and they are sending somebody out tomorrow to check it out.

Meanwhile, I am going to *gasp* start looking at Centurytel for service. I depend on this connection to make a living and I can't work over a VPN on this type of latency. We also have Bresnan business cable service that we use for our small business and that connection was just as crappy as this one.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

3 edits

My upstream hovers at around 48dBmV though that is after he put in the 6dB tap (apparently they don't use regular attenuators). Before the tap was put in I was getting ~38dBmV...I have yet to play around with it though AFAIK it is having minimal impact on my service, there are bigger things than that affecting my service as of now.

I, like you, also work off of a VPN with my work computer and a ShoreTel IP phone behind it and am finding it increasingly difficult to work at night.

soadlink

join:2002-11-17
USA

1 edit
reply to alphainfinit2

said by alphainfinit2:

Meanwhile, I am going to *gasp* start looking at Centurytel for service. I depend on this connection to make a living and I can't work over a VPN on this type of latency. We also have Bresnan business cable service that we use for our small business and that connection was just as crappy as this one.
You are definitely not the only one, I am looking at Centurytel too. The only time I can really use my connection is during peak hours when it's crap. Even if I have to go down by 5Mbps to Centurytel's 10Mbps package... at least it will be stable.

Update: talked to the local CenturyLINK lady (that's their new name I guess) and she said it would be a flat $50/month for the 10Mb/768Kb package if I do a 1 year contract... otherwise it's $70/month for internet only. This includes modem rental and taxes. She said I could be up in running in 3-4 business days. I have a feeling if I do this, Bresnan is going to start working fine as soon as it's set up

Jeks

@174.44.147.x

I am also beginning to see high latency and terrible speedtests again today.

Sadly, It's so bad I can't even send an email to tech support, it wont connect to their email servers anymore.

I am so close to just cancelling. The only thing thats keeping me from doing that is the Triple Play service (Phone, Cable all work fine).

Ugh.

Bresnanisgod

@174.44.38.x
reply to bigburd

Is this in the contract anywhere...

"1. Don't tell me that your speed test is the only thing that matters. I'm not paying you to provide me a connection to your internal network I am paying you to provide me with a reliable connection to the internet at a reasonably close speed to what you advertise, which you are not."

I'd really like to have a legal leg to stand on if I'm going to contradict what the techs always say.

kckid

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Hummm, my 8.0 mbps service has been at the top of it's game for the last week: 2,261 Kbps up/ 256 down/latency is 172. Sure beats the 69 down that I had on 2-10-09.

It must be nice to have other options. All we have in Buffalo is 1.5 DSL and in the test I did, it was running 1.0 or lower. So, even at 1/3 of the speed that Bresnan advertises, I'm better off. But, I think I probably average around 2.0. When it slows down to 677 (10-1-09) or 160 (10-4-09), I get really upset. But, I still stick with Bresnan hoping that one day they will fulfill their promise to me.

Tino

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Also experiencing these issues in Great Falls.

I contacted Bresnan and got their generic BS excuse "Not our network not our problem".

I also contacted 360networks and their responce was that it is Bresnans problem for routing them wrong.

The only thing that would get Bresnans attention is if attention was drawn to this in the form of cancelations. Honestly at this speeds you would get better results on a DSL providing they don't use the same backbones, which I plan to be checking into.

Tino

join:2009-10-18
Great Falls, MT
reply to bigburd

Alos how much are we betting that once this issue is resolved later down the line, a Bresnan rep will conveniently find their way to this thread to do some damage control, telling us they fixed it as fast as they could, and try to make themselves look like heros?

Rather than them pretending there isn't an issue, I think I would be less irritated with them if they admitted to it being an issue and telling me they were working on it.

burdanon

@bresnan.net
reply to Bresnanisgod

I have no clue what the contract really says and to be honest could care less..But this is what their tech support will tell you if you tell them the speakeasy tests are slow. They haven't provided their Montana clients with usable internet access for over a month. The FCC and FTC specifically question if you are having this type of issue with your ISP when you are filling out the complaint forms online. I REALLY suggest to everyone to at least go to those sites and fill this stuff out. I've done the FTC thing before and they wont respond with just one or two complaints they need a developing pattern. Also be sure to let Bresnan know you shouldn't have to pay for the last month and any month until they get their issue fixed. The FTC can also start laying heavy fines on Bresnan for this type of business they are running with their clients.

burdanon

@bresnan.net
reply to Tino

I have a qwest line in my house as well as Bresnan and it is NOT experiencing these slowdowns. Please go to the FTC and FCC sites I have in one of my posts here and file complaints.. Yes loss of subscriptions will motivate them but looming heavy federal fines can also push some buttons. I have a connection of sorts at 360 networks, I'm going to hit them up and kind of letting them know that bresnan is blaming them for this issue, just to see what they say.

Rune

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Could you link those agian?

miniskunk

join:2008-04-13
Cut Bank, MT
reply to bigburd

Just filed my complaints with the FTC and FCC.

FCC: »esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
FTC: »www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FT···?Lang=en

soadlink

USA

Done, just filed my complaints with both sites.

Signing up with CenturyLink did me no good. After spending 30 minutes in their offices setting up my account, and being charged $25 for a deposit... I was called the next day from one of their centers telling me I'm too far away for 10Mbps and I can only get 1.5Mbps. Long story short: the lady on the phone tried to justify that 1.5Mbps on DSL is better than 15Mbps on cable which made me laugh pretty hard. I then went on to tell her how she didn't know what she was talking about, and how DSL is actually worse with it's overhead (12-15%). She shut up after I put her in her place. But my deposit was refunded, so whatever... and I shall continue on with crappy Bresnan.

anonburd

@bresnan.net

rough break. in Butte I am stuck with bresnan or DSL afaik. Other thins such as wireless are not an option.

miniskunk

join:2008-04-13
Cut Bank, MT
reply to bigburd

I am really thinking they have seriously oversold their bandwidth. How else can you explain how this only happens during peak hours?

Slowww Gamin

@bresnan.net

Im in Great Falls, Montana using Bresnan for high speed internet. In the past 2 or 3 weeks the ping during peak hours has been well over 400 at times. So playing Halo 3 online has been all but impossible.

I have been on the phone with them for the last 3 days, and finally today after I told them that 360 networks was blaming them, did he admit that they are having trouble with how they are connected to 360 networks and that they have been working to fix the problem for a week or two now.

Funny how just yesterday the tech was saying that there was no way there was any problem that bresnan could fix.

This is one test from tonight (actually pretty good compared to the last couple of nights) :

I recently upgraded to their 15 down 1 up plan thinking it would help, and during non peak hours its been great. I sure hope they fix this soon.

kckid

@bresnan.net
reply to miniskunk

"I am really thinking they have seriously oversold their bandwidth."

Worse than that, they lie to their customer's.

kc

Buffalo

soadlink

USA
reply to soadlink

This just in from the Tier2 tech I have been working with. He is referring to the 72.175.110.10 hop:

Yes, we do have an official outage for slow speeds during peak times for any traffic across that specific hop. Engineers have been working on it since late September. It wasn't declared an official outage until late last week. So at least we are aware of it and working on it. Since it wasn't official until last week, very few agents would have known about it, including yours truly.

alphainfinit2

join:2007-07-16
Whitefish, MT
reply to bigburd

What was the name of the tech you talked to? I will be talking to him when I ask for a refund for the month.
--
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/5780826···G][/URL]

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY
reply to soadlink

They have been working on it since September?! Wonder how much longer until they find a fix?

anonburd

@bresnan.net

And what is REALLY sad is most folks couldn't know any different, or they can't browse, get frustrated and walk away for the night, or the kids complain and the parents think they are just being kids, or any of a thousand other scenarios where Bresnan doesn't get the call. Plus you have the percentage that just say "Okay" when they are told their router is bad and go buy another one and still go through headaches for weeks thinking it is them or their configuration.

Here is why I came on to this even later than i thought:

The week before the outtage, I ordered two brand new PC's, one for the wife, and one for myself. The machines shipped with VIsta and we decided we would give Vista a fair shot before I do all the work to go back to XP. The first week with Vista was hell for me. It took me DAYS to update the operating system to date, I couldn't believe it. The first day I realized my QOS didn't know who the new machines were. At times I got nominal internet speeds after that was fixed but it always seemed like there was something holding the machine back. Then I found an article about a bandwidth shaping service in Vista so I shut that off. I did get times of good download speeds and such but it was still acting up. After exactly one and a half weeks I had XP on my new machine, the weekend after that the wife demanded XP back. I believe now that all of this happened because of Bresnan and was how I figured this thing out for myself. Once I installed XP and things were still erratic, I started checking and testing.

soadlink

USA
reply to alphainfinit2

said by alphainfinit2:

What was the name of the tech you talked to?
Matthew Sargent. Though he has been very very friendly. He is the only tech who actually has a brain there, and actually listens to me. When I tell him something is wrong, he doesn't automatically assume it's my fault. He looks at MY tests, traceroutes, etc. and takes them seriously. He is the only decent person I have ever dealt with at Bresnan.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Chat alias of MattS? If so that was the tech I talked with on their chat. Small world indeed, he was the first tech that has ever actually listened to my problem with an open mind and noticed there was a problem.

soadlink

USA

Yea I'd imagine that's him, but I'm not 100% sure. I first talked to him over the phone, and eventually got his email. But yea, he is the ONLY person I can talk to within that company now.

soadlink

USA

What's really strange is that my neighbors (who have an unprotected wireless AP) have Bresnan 8Mbps... and I get no increased latency at this hop when using my laptop on their connection... everything is perfect, even during peak usage. I think they are also in the same apartment building because my signal strength is always excellent to their AP. We both also have IDENTICAL Motorola surfboard modems: model, firmware, etc.

Here is a fresh traceroute to dslreports that I took with tonight's already increasing latency from MY connection:

1 0ms 192.168.1.1
2 * Request timed out.
3 11ms 69.144.26.145
4 18ms 69.144.26.69
5 17ms 72.175.110.3
6 177ms 72.175.110.10
7 197ms 66.62.136.57
8 59ms 66.62.8.66
9 61ms 66.62.3.45
10 217ms 66.62.6.67
11 60ms 4.53.2.25
12 228ms 4.68.107.94
13 229ms 4.69.132.38
14 247ms 4.69.132.62
15 249ms 4.69.132.114
16 262ms 4.69.132.70
17 281ms 4.69.132.102
18 148ms 4.68.99.37
19 270ms 4.79.189.74
20 280ms 209.123.10.126
21 112ms 209.123.10.42
22 282ms 209.123.109.175

And now from their connection:

1 0ms 192.168.2.1
2 * Request timed out.
3 11ms 69.144.26.149
4 17ms 69.144.26.189
5 16ms 72.175.110.3
6 14ms 72.175.110.10
7 33ms 66.62.136.57
8 62ms 66.62.4.130
9 59ms 66.62.3.45
10 60ms 66.62.4.3
11 61ms 4.53.2.25
12 72ms 4.68.107.94
13 60ms 4.69.132.38
14 90ms 4.69.132.62
15 90ms 4.69.132.114
16 106ms 4.69.132.70
17 115ms 4.69.132.102
18 113ms 4.68.99.37
19 106ms 4.79.189.74
20 112ms 209.123.10.126
21 119ms 209.123.10.222
22 140ms 209.123.109.175

I am not saying it's only my issue -- everyone's evidence here has shown it is definitely a widespread issue. But it's just weird that some people might be perfectly fine for whatever reason.. while others are suffering badly. I really don't know what could explain this.

soadlink

USA

3 edits

I have found a temporary solution (for me at least, and possibly for others who know a bit about networking). If you read my last post, you will see that my neighbors were perfect, I was not. I found out their CPE mac (the device the modem sees DIRECTLY, like your router) by going to the wireless APs config page. I changed this to something else (some routers let you do this, some dont) so now they have a new MAC address that the modem sees which gave them a new public IP. I then spoofed their old MAC on my pfsense box, and was given their "old" ip because their dhcp lease hadn't expired yet. The internet is now perfect for me.

Why? I'm going to guess that the problem hop (72.175.110.10) is prioritizing certain IPs/Subnets... so some people's internet is normal, some are not.

What can you do? Change/spoof/clone/whatever you want to call it the MAC address of the device DIRECTLY attached to your modem. In my case, it's the pfSense box. Now restart your router or device attached to the modem (you may not have to). Your router will now request a new IP address, and it will get a new ip address because the CPE mac changed. You can do this about 10 times before the modem gets full and you must restart it. This is the MaxCPE limit set in the modem's config file. We are lucky, Bresnan allows 10. Some ISPs only allow 1 or 2.

What can the mac address be? Just make sure it's all hex (A-F, 0-9).. for example: 00:1a:b6:9f:d4:c2

Will any IP work? No.. probably not. You probably have to get an IP in a subnet that has top priority. I am currently in the following subnet: 174.44.20.0/22. This means my IP is in the range of 174.44.20.0 - 174.44.23.255. This is a total of about 1022 usable ips If you can get a DHCP IP in this range and your internet is fine, then my solution worked. If not, then it's something else.

Can't seem to get an IP in this range? Keep changing your MAC until you do. Make sure to reset your modem, you can only do it 10 times or so before the MaxCPE amount is reached, but then you just have reset it. I am very interested to see if this works. Just keep trying traceroutes after you change your IP to test the latency.

Why would they prioritize certain IPs/subnets? I don't know ... maybe certain business clients who have complained are in certain subnets, and Bresnan actually cares about them. I couldn't say for sure.

proof:

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Very interesting for sure - I will have to tinker with it here for awhile once I am done with work for the night. For now I need my VPN