crizo

join:2009-11-09
Great Falls, MT

Yep, supa fast (for 1995)

BruceL5

join:2009-12-20
Helena, MT
reply to AnonInsider

AnonInsider? Guess what smart guy, Bresnan uses Vision Net to get to 360. Qwest has no peering with Vision net, and splits ATTF1A, ATTF1C, 360, and the PearlFiber1 they bought from Sprint long ago. For Helena, Qwest routes either ATTF1C to Butte then Bozeman and out on ATT to Seattle) or they route their own link to Missoula where it either routes ATTF1A or 360. I could quote their routes for every town in MT, but suffice it to say, "You are full of beans".

And, you are also dead wrong about the cause of the issue. The letter I have on my desk from Pragash Pillai makes it pretty clear that the problem is two things - and both are more or less because they really didn't understand how to implement their new head-ends and no one at Bresnan really expects any improvement until they start splitting node traffic up on to different channels and learning how their shiny new DOCSIS3 head ends actually work.

There is also a hint of regret in his words relating to using DOCSIS3 head ends from different manufacturers for different towns. Mixing Arris and Cisco has caused some engineering headaches.

So, sometime in January, there is a possibility of seeing some improvement in Helena and Great Falls as Bresnan starts testing out some different channel bonding and channel rotation with their Arris C4s. Bozeman and Missoula after that, and then on to Billings, Casper, etc etc and finally Colorado.

But, the DOCSIS3 stuff is also going to bring some pain. Now that Bill Bresnan has passed away and Congress has cleared the way for Comcast to grow, there is nothing stopping Comcast from taking their 48% share in Bresnan up to 100% ownership. With DOCSIS3 offerings in these markets ready to go, and Comcast chomping at the bit to suck in some more customers, we can probably all look forward to crazy fast speeds but strictly enforced data caps.

So, smart guy, quit lying to these nice folks.

BruceL5

Helena, MT
reply to Simba7

said by Simba7:

said by Quento21:

I hope these "load balancing" issues will be fixed by tomorrow... doubt it. Just upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 for ****sake.
..and how would that fix the problem?
Channel bonding and channel rotation on not just a node by node system but even right down to a modem by modem basis let's them utilize bandwidth where they have some to use. And the bologny about everything being 360s fault is just bologny. - Well, mostly bologny. The troubles 360 is having accepting priority packets (VOIP and Business HSI traffic) is true, but that trouble is actually caused by how it is being fed to them, not entirely by their method of accepting it.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Finally.. Someone that knows that the hell is going on.

I could see 360 not accepting priority packets would be a problem. I'm not seeing it here in Billings, but I guess other Bresnan customers in different locations have.

I knew VisionNet was a part of this, but where are they in the route?

..as for the possibility of Comcrap taking over, this is going to suck like never before. I definitely will NOT be pleased if they implement a Sandvine-line device into the network, not to mention caps. I can deal with my 15x1 connection without restrictions, but what good is a faster link that has massive restrictions?

Seems like Comcrap is becoming more like AT&T everyday.
--
Bresnan 15M/1M|MyWS[P4HT@4.01GHz,2GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]|WifeWS[P4@2.4GHz,1GB RAM,60GB HDD,Win7]|Router[2xP3@1GHz,640MB RAM,18GB HDD,Allied Telesyn AT-2560FX,Kingston KNE100TX,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,iPro/1000DP,Blitz BWI715,Gentoo Linux]

BruceL5

Helena, MT

It depends on where you are as to how much of a role Vision Net has in your route. Since you are in Billings, Your packets only see Vision net fiber under certain circumstances (a fall back route when there is a problem getting to the 360 bridge at Laurel).

Keeping a long story short: For business lines, I have five cable modems, fiber from Bresnan, Fiber from Vision net, and wireless in two locations provided by a company that gets their bandwidth from Vision Net and Bresnan. I also have six places that are only served by Qwest DSL and one served by Qwest ISDN. For residential service, I have a speed plus subscription and what Bresnan calls a "room mate" modem in their standard 8 meg tier.

When this mess started, I could directly compare my Vision Net and Bresnan fiber links. While experiencing no latency issues on Vision net, I was seeing 400~600ms a couple of hops out from my Bresnan fiber. Then I started paying a lot of attention to my residential lines and my 1.5x512 and 10x3 business lines...

There is zero doubt in my mind that the new head ends are at least 50% of the problem and there is no doubt in my mind that Bresnan is actively throttling residential traffic during peak hours. Knowing my packets on Vision Net went to 360 exactly the same way my Bresnan packets did, but experiencing problems with Bresnan and not Vision net was a real hint that the issue wasn't 360 or VN.

How a residential-only customer could ever deal with tech support, I have no idea. There is a big difference in my access to people who know what they are doing or care at all about being truthful with me when I've called about my residential modems versus my fiber link.

Quento21

join:2007-09-28
Laurel, MT

1 edit
reply to bigburd

people still having problems? my connection has been good for the past month and a half.

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT
reply to bigburd

This crap connection is as bad as when ComCrap or att had the monopoly here in Montana.
The lowest ping I can get to my fav gaming servers is 400Ms + cant even begin to game.

Bresnan get your act together what a pathetic lack-luster service you have turned into used to be half way decent but now pure crud.
--
Team Discovery

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by Tychicus:

This crap connection is as bad as when ComCrap or att had the monopoly here in Montana.
Comcrap would never come here. Trust me, you don't want them to.

As for the old AT&T stuff, who do you think bought AT&T and TCIs old network?
--
Bresnan 15M/1M|MyWS[P4HT@4.01GHz,2GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]|WifeWS[P4@2.4GHz,1GB RAM,60GB HDD,Win7]|Router[2xP3@1GHz,640MB RAM,18GB HDD,Allied Telesyn AT-2560FX,Kingston KNE100TX,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,iPro/1000DP,Blitz BWI715,Gentoo Linux]

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to bigburd

My connection has been pretty good latley. I think they fixed whatever was wrong in my area.
--
Whats smells like blue?

crizo

join:2009-11-09
Great Falls, MT
reply to bigburd

Mine hasn't improved. In fact it's been bad as ever...

But I'm happy to say I'm moving to a new house and my Bresnan account is scheduled to be cancelled on Sunday. My new place is in the Qwest 7Mbit service area, so I'm a happy camper. It will be cheaper, and more than likely faster too.

Fasttazz

join:2009-11-08
Cheyenne, WY
reply to Omega

I had some fair speeds for about a week before Christmas and stayed pretty good until Friday evening. Well I see that the service has gone back to the good old Bresnan that we have been experiencing for quite some time now. fubar'd

Fasttazz

Cheyenne, WY

Its even worse ,pings over 230 for most of the night.

docmars32

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Pings of 410ms from Cheyenne, WY to Denver, CO tonight.

High pings other places, low performance for video streaming, etc.

What's new?

Io

@bresnan.net

Not much is new. Same ole... same ole...

I wonder what it's like to have an ISP available that offers good service. I someone like that existed in Jackson, WY, I have to believe they would do well.

kckid

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Wow. Generally, Bresnan's service isn't this crappy until evening.

Speed Test #84693682 by dslreports.com
Run: 2010-01-07 08:42:51 EST
Download: 492 (Kbps)
Upload: 391 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 60 down 47.7 up
Boost: 746
Latency: 155 ms
Tested by server: 5726 flash
User: anonymous
User's DNS: bresnan.net

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ
reply to bigburd

Yea, connection has gotten bad again. I talk to people at work and they say the same thing.
--
Whats smells like blue?

Tychicus
Children are our most precious resource
Premium
join:2002-01-18
Helena, MT
reply to Simba7

I was one of the first people in the Helena area to get on cable and the name of the company was Excite@Home then att took over and it went from incredible to garbage just that fast and of course att would only say you have the best you can get no problem then comcast took over for a couple years and continued with terrible sucky connect super high latency same old crap from att handed down then Bresnan came in and at least fixed most of the damage comcrap and att had screwed up so here we are one monopoly to rule them all and in the darkness bind them
--
Team Discovery

slacker

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Well at 1-9-2010 20:30 it looks like they're throttling it into sprint.
This has been happening for weeks.
I really want some low latency service..

C:\>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.19.105]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms host.lar-wy.client.bresnan.net []
3 22 ms 22 ms 12 ms larwy.int.bresnan.net []
4 21 ms 12 ms 18 ms chywy001hb6-GE-0-0-0-U88.int.bresnan.net [69.146.190.90]
5 30 ms 23 ms 15 ms chywy002hb6-GE-0-0-0-U136.int.bresnan.net [69.146.190.140]
6 147 ms 145 ms 143 ms sl-gw13-che-9-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.251.177]
7 146 ms 148 ms 151 ms sl-crs1-che-0-8-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.15.132]
8 165 ms 174 ms 163 ms sl-crs1-stk-0-0-0-1.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.241]
9 166 ms 157 ms 163 ms sl-crs1-sj-0-5-3-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.99]
10 165 ms 167 ms 170 ms sl-st30-sj-0-15-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.8.149]
11 162 ms 178 ms 178 ms sl-googl9-221710-0.sprintlink.net [144.228.110.10]
12 180 ms 175 ms 168 ms 216.239.46.194
13 193 ms 183 ms 179 ms 209.85.251.94
14 200 ms 165 ms 164 ms nuq04s01-in-f105.1e100.net [74.125.19.105]

Trace complete.

Fishbum

@174.45.56.x
reply to bigburd

I used to get 6 megabits+ consistently for years until the last month. Suddenly the speed is under 1.5mb, and usually under 1mb/s. I think they are throttling down the speed. Maybe trying to get customers to subscribe to Speed Plus? But why would I pay $10/ month to get supposedly 15mb/s down and 1mb/s up, when they are over 6 times slower than advertised at the "normal speeds". Does that mean I will be at 2.5mb/s with Speed Plus!?? What a joke!
Fix this Bresnan, or I'm moving to DSL. Why pay more for the same slow speed?!

Fasttazz

Cheyenne, WY

It's pathetic.......

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY
kudos:1

2 edits

I live in Cheyenne; Sun Valley area; and just aren't getting the slow downs. Just now; sunday almost noon; and here's my local speed test

Here's my test, 30 seconds later, to New York City.

And because you used Denver as a test, here's mine to denver.

Do I ever see it "Slow Down". Yes. Bresnan definitely isn't perfect. But it's usually in the late afternoon; kids just getting home from school; etc... I will get close to about 10-11mb instead of 15mb.

So, with others in the same town, connecting to the same head end, having 2 totally different speeds, I would say that probably the node in your neighborhood is over subscribed. Either that, or you're on some old copper to the node. Or they aren't running fiber from the node to their head-end (But I believe all of the backhaul in cheyenne from the nodes is fiber; but I could be wrong. Or there's a problem with your modem/router/wiring. But it's obviously not the headend of bresnan getting us on the internet. I am on the same exact system, and have never had the slow down you all speak of.

I'm sure you already mentioned it; but what are your signal levels posted on your modem? I had an issue in my house with TOO MUCH wiring and taps to all the rooms. I would get a 61 on the upstream and a -15 on the downstream. The signal got very flaky at times. Sometimes even go out. I removed a couple taps to rooms of the house that had no tv's connected anyway, and I get a 56 upstream and a -11 for downstream. If I connect ONLY the modem, and no taps to ANY rooms; I get a 51-52 for upstream, and a -2 for download. I use to get drop outs, bad speed/pings, and inconsistent service for about 2 months. Once I tested the modem directly to the incoming line, with no rooms, bridge taps, tv's, or anything connected and found my service went EXCELLENT, I then only hooked up the rooms I had to. Once I've done that; I haven't had a service, speed, ping, disconnect, etc... issue in about 8-10 months.

Fasttazz

Cheyenne, WY

said by christcorp:

I live in Cheyenne; Sun Valley area; and just aren't getting the slow downs. Just now; sunday almost noon; and here's my local speed test
I have the 8mb tier.12:50pm

Sweet couldnt expect more,until ppl get online around dinner time.

The connection speeds are very close to what's advertised,
during the day!!

It is mostly decent until around 5:30pm mst, after that it really is oversubscribed to the point of bottle-necking,either queuing the incoming and/or outgoing data....I dont know...maybe both.

If i run it off of the main cable line or through the dedicated and filtered line,with or without 4 rooms in the mix,it doesnt matter. I have new lines from the tap(60ft away) to the new house box,to the all new lines throughout the house and it points to Bresna having total control over what is going on.
It ran perfect during the Holiday break,the night of Jan 1 2010 it all went to crap.Coincidence? i think not!!

Imho I think they are throttling the bandwidth.

miniskunk

join:2008-04-13
Cut Bank, MT
reply to Fishbum

When the net is slow due to congestion in your area, you won't get any more speed with speedplus so I don't think this is about getting more speedplus subscriptions. It is still running fairly smooth in my area since the worst bit last year, but ping time has been creeping up a little on some nights so the underlying issue clearly has yet to be solved. I have since dropped speedplus as I found that most websites I visit don't send much more than 8-10 megabits tops anyway and the speed bump to 1 megabits on uploads just isn't worth an extra 10 bucks a month.

Fasttazz

Cheyenne, WY
reply to bigburd

Its just beautiful............

kckid

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

Nice to have something you can depend on. This has been going on in Buffalo for 4 years.

Speed Test #84880190 by dslreports.com
Run: 2010-01-10 19:31:31 EST
Download: 263 (Kbps)
Upload: 382 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 32.1 down 46.6 up
Boost: 988
Latency: 97 ms
Tested by server: 5726 flash
User: anonymous
User's DNS: bresnan.net

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ
reply to bigburd

It's really bad today. And as I have said before, I don't care about the speeds, just give me a freakin low ping!
--
Whats smells like blue?

dabest

@bresnan.net
reply to bigburd

nothing like working all day to pay the bills which includes the cable internet bill, and 5 nights out of 7 I sit down to play a little WoW and..... whoop, not tonight, network is congested. How can they honestly sell this crap to anyone?

springfling

join:2004-10-22
Monument, CO
reply to christcorp

christcorp, I almost fainted when I ready your post. For years I've been watching you preach about how DSL is so much superior than cable, and now you are you using cable?? what happened? Here is an example I stumbled on...

"Personally, I'll take the pros of phone/dsl over cable's tv/broadband service any day of the week. The max that qwest can give me; and the majority of their customers in the country; is 1.5mb/896kb. I have access to cable at 8mb, but there is no way I would change. I'll take the lower bandwidth without question. Then again, Directv compared to cable is also a no brainer. Directv is cheaper, better quality, more channels, etc... There is nothing that could get me back on cable unless I was forced to move into an apartment some place that wouldn't allow a directv dish. Again, learn the differences and you'll sleep much better at night. Later... Mike...."

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Somerset, NJ
reply to bigburd

Well, seeing how tonight is a bad night, I called and complained.

Got my internet credited for January and was "assured" that this incident is at their highest level of tech support.

I STRONGLY urge everyone to call and complain about this, then request a credit on your cable bill. This is the ONLY way that they will fix this issue - if it affects their bottom line.

Heck, even threaten to go to DSL.
--
Whats smells like blue?