how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phdeez

join:2003-06-05
Winter Park, FL

Newsgroups?

Anyone know if CenturyLink will be offering newsgroups with DSL? Embarq abandoned them after the split with Earthlink (since ELN was hosting them).

Yeah, I could pay $10 and get a "real" news service, but $10 + $40 for 5mb service is more than the $30 I pay for Brighthouse 7mb service that includes fast newsgroup access and retention rates of more than a month (which is all I need most of the time anyways).

(I couldn't find newsgroup information on CenturyTel's website, other than a TOS document)

TIA!

Go Tarheels
Premium
join:2006-01-05
Nashville, NC
kudos:1
I doubt it

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
reply to phdeez
Are binary newsgroups used for anything other than piracy these days? Serious question, not accusing you.

rabeatz7
Premium
join:2009-03-21
Apopka, FL
reply to phdeez
According to the CenturyTel Acceptable Use Policy at »www.centurytel.com/Pages/AboutUs···licy.jsp (which I'm sure is what phdeez is referring to):

quote:
You will not access any Usenet newsgroups via any other network. Without notice to you and at any time, we may add, remove, or modify Usenet newsgroups or services and may modify or restrict the bandwidth available to download content from Usenet newsgroups.
This is just my personal reading of it, but if they are to say you can't use Usenet groups via "any other network", shouldn't that mean that they are providing access to them? I could be totally wrong.

rabeatz7
Premium
Apopka, FL
reply to phdeez
»www.answersthatwork.com/ISP_page···ytel.htm

Don't know if that is up to date, but it lists newsgroup servers. So if anything they did at one time offer it.

phdeez

Winter Park, FL
reply to rabeatz7
rabeatz: That's exactly the document I was referring to when I was talking about the TOS thing. I would find it odd if they didn't allow you to use OTHER companies newsgroups (giganews, etc) if they didn't offer newsgroups themselves. What's even more interesting is what you posted in the second post from answersthatwork.com. Your profile says you have Embarq DSL... have you tried CenturyTel's newsgroups?

ydoucare: Not that I'm aware of... but then why do you care? :P

rabeatz7
Premium
Apopka, FL

3 edits
No, I have not tried to use the newsgroups

100th post

Edit: just tried using them now and got a communication error - for all I know they require authentication and I wouldn't have a centurytel login for that.

It tries to connect which makes it seem like the server is valid, this forum here (although 2 years ago) makes me think that you would need a centurytel login for it : »www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums···679.html

phdeez

Winter Park, FL
I thought maybe they wouldn't require u/p (and just validate via IP address)... but I guess they do.

Thanks for checking!

rabeatz7
Premium
Apopka, FL
Well it may be that they validate by IP as well, I have no clue. As it is now my IP address is an Embarq IP address, not a CenturyTel IP and they still haven't completed all the behind the scenes stuff in the merger so if it validates by IP mine would not be one that would work.

herb77

join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL
reply to phdeez
Does anyone know of any free newsgroup servers? I remember I use to use one from Denmark that was free, but I think its gone now.

rabeatz7
Premium
Apopka, FL
reply to phdeez
»www.disenter.com/

"Public News Servers automatically trawled and tested every day, and indexed using an online database. The frequency of servers tested per day is dependent on the average availability of each Server, combined with the number of Newsgroups. Each server is checked for the availability of headers, its speed and posting."

bobobobo

@rr.com
reply to phdeez
Centurytel currently has newsgroup servers, so I imagine it's likely Centurylink will.

phdeez

Winter Park, FL
reply to phdeez
Hopefully they will keep them moving forward and don't suck!! (Meaning decent retention and completion rates)...