Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zupper
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Novelty, OH

HVAC Filter change interval

OK - I'm looking for opinions, or reputable data, that would give good guidance on how often to replace the HVAC filter. I am referring to the 1" pleated, disposable, filters.

I know, I know - it depends. Let's just assume "typical" or "average." I live in the midwest, not unusally dry or dusty. AC in the summer, Heat in the winter, and usually very little of either in the spring and fall. I don't have any pets and no smokers.

I ask, because my thermostat has a "change filter" indicator, where I can set how many hours it will accumulate blower time to tell you when to change. The manual says 200 hours is "typical" for one month.

In some google searches, there seems to be a lot of advocates for "monthly", regardless of actual run-time. When Consumer Reports magazine did a rating of filters, it was clear that their yearly cost estimate was assuming changes every quarter ( 4/year). Up until now, I would say I would use about 3-5 filters a year.

I suppose I'll just the thermostat for about 400 hours, which should be about 2 months, and see where that really ends up.

Any thoughts??

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

Go by the the instructions on the filter.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Zupper

OR try this get a clean filter, hold up to a light. Then based on that use it as a guide to when to change the filter and just set the hrs and forget about it. Or go by the guide on the filter.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 edit
reply to Zupper

In my case the setting will vary according to the time of year. In warm weather when the windows are open my filter needs to be changed more often as I live on a gravel road and it does have a small effect, although we as expected do close the windows when heating and cooling. I would set it 30 times the numbers of hours I'd expect to have the furnace fan running per day for a one inch filter.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to Zupper

it depends on how dusty your area is an how much it runs. for dispoable el cheapos, once a month is best. you may stretch it out a few months if you rarely use the HVAC, but going too long is just as bad as not even having a filter in the system.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

babwas

join:2005-04-09
Omaha, NE
reply to Zupper

I run the fan on my air handler all the time so I change mine monthly. If I were to go with the auto setting for the fan I could probably get by with quarterly - except in the summer. I have my reminder set for 30 days run time.

Zupper
Premium
Novelty, OH
reply to Zupper

Thanks for everyone's input.

I know that there are variables involved, such as filter type and normal air quality.

I think it makes sense that the change interval is really a function of blower run time, and not just calendar time. But all the "rules of thumb" I see appear to be based on "months", either 1, 2, or 3. That itself seems fairly arbitrary, and likely conservative.

rfhar's comment of "30 times expected daily run time" appears to just try and calculate the hours for one month, thereby setting a one month change interval. As I mentioned, the thermo manual suggests 200 hours to be about 30 days. That would average just under 7 hours run time per day.

babwas - when you say you have a reminder of "30 days run time" do you mean just 30 calendar days, or an actual hours usage?

I guess my only real option is to experiment. I could set a fairly low hours count on the thermo, and then check the filter. I can then judge to increase or decrease the hours count for next time. I knew I would want to fine tune it, but was hoping for a better starting point suggestion.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Zupper

I would also say it determines if you have pets or not..
Pet dander & hair will clog a filter quickly...
And by pets, I don't mean just dogs & cats..
We have a Parrot, and have a absolute filter and fan system in Living room, and an Orec electrostatic fan/filter in our media room, and a 6" wide pleated filter on the furnace, and we replace the furnace filter every 6 months, and clean the electrostatic filter in media room monthy, and the vaccuum the two filters in front of the absolute filter monthly, changing them out yearly in the Living room.

I've talked with people with multiple cats or dogs, and it is worse for filter cleaning/replacement...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Zupper

You should change the filter when the differential air pressure increases...could be sooner, could be later.

Install this:

»www.nrgideas.com/index.php?main_···s_id=340

or this:

»shop.energysmartcompany.com/gree···527.html

--
The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to Zupper

every month and a half to two months. two dogs. older construction.

babwas

join:2005-04-09
Omaha, NE
reply to Zupper

I have mine set to tell me when I have hit 30 actual days of run time. If it takes 3 months to hit the 30 days run time then I don't see the reminder until then.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Zupper

As inexpensive as filters are, I would buy a case (12) and change them monthly or bimonthly. Check it after a month, if it is OK, check again in two months.

Our customers with one inch filters, we recommend monthly or bimonthly, depending on the application. We also recommend converting to a deeper pleat filter if possible. One inch filters are high resistance to start with due to low surface area compared to a 2" or deeper pleat. Once they start accumulating dirt they get worse. Its usually fine for residential systems, but a deeper pleat is better for efficiency and system performance.
--
"On a motorcycle, you're penetrating distance right along with the machine. In a car you're just a spectator; the windshield's like a TV." ~ Kenny "Von Dutch" Howard

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

said by Lurch77:

As inexpensive as filters are, I would buy a case (12) and change them monthly or bimonthly. Check it after a month, if it is OK, check again in two months.

Our customers with one inch filters, we recommend monthly or bimonthly, depending on the application. We also recommend converting to a deeper pleat filter if possible. One inch filters are high resistance to start with due to low surface area compared to a 2" or deeper pleat. Once they start accumulating dirt they get worse. Its usually fine for residential systems, but a deeper pleat is better for efficiency and system performance.
I've had 2 washable filtesr that look fairly dense and well meshed. Like 10 year warranties. What do you think of these?

Zupper
Premium
Novelty, OH
reply to Zupper

As an update...

I'm using the Filtrete 1085, and just looked at the package which stated "up to 3 months" use. Of course, it gave caveats for shorter duration, such as pets, smoking, dusty environment, construction, etc.

I figure I'll just use the suggestion in the thermo manual for 200 hours / month, and set it initially for 400 hours. I'll see how long that really takes (in calendar time), and monitor the filter.

smokes14

join:2003-02-09
Madison, VA
reply to Zupper

Four to six weeks for me. I check it every month, and if it is dirty, it gets changed. If not I wait two weeks then change it regardless. Have to mark it on the calendar or I forget when I do it. But it does get changed regularly.

Also I don't buy the really cheap ones, ya know like the three pack at Lowes for 5 or so bucks. With three cats and two dogs the cheap ones clogged up faster. The one used now is a Filtrete, 600 rating.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
reply to mityfowl

I personally like them as long as you keep them well maintained. On the other hand, as a service company tech, I don't like them. I would rather come into a job and swap out filters rather than sit there and wash them.
--
"On a motorcycle, you're penetrating distance right along with the machine. In a car you're just a spectator; the windshield's like a TV." ~ Kenny "Von Dutch" Howard

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Zupper

look at the filter. if dirty, replace. if not, don't.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Zupper

Every 3 months - the $10 Filtertrete ones (red) - wouldn't even consider the cheaper ones
I need 3 of them at a time...

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to Zupper

Do you have pets? Pet hair will make you want to change them more frequently.