Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shunx

join:2003-05-01
Canada

1 edit

AP for Siemens SE567?

I'm not sure but I think my current wireless router (SMC 2804WBR) can't act as a wireless access point for the Siemens -- it doesn't have a "default gateway" option which may be needed.

Can anyone recommend a router that is CONFIRMED to work as an AP with the SE567?

(would WRT54GL work for sure?)

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

Why do you need an AP? The SE567 already has built in wireless capabilities.

shunx

Canada

signal strength issue.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to shunx

I did manage to get a router to work with a siemens. You would have to change the IP address range on the router to something other than what the siemens uses for it to work.

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to shunx

Hello,

If your really wanting to run your own router. I would give a call into customer service and swap the 2wire or SE567 for a SpeedTouch. It will save you same time and frustration trying to figure out what needs to be done to make a router behind router setup work...

Regards

Joshb
--
R.I.P Mom We miss you.

damaloid

@telus.net
reply to shunx

I am successfully running a netgear WGR614 v3 router behind the SE. Both using DHCP, I changed the SE to a 10.x.x.x IP and the NG was changed to a 172.x.x.x ip. A little more work to set up, (IP and firewall and such) but it will work.

shunx

Canada

Both should use DHCP? I had assumed that only the SE567 should use DHCP. OK I turned on the DHCP on my SMC router and set its IP range outside SE567's range, but that didn't work. While my wireless device could get an IP, there's no internet access as it seems the SMC router is not getting connection from the SE567. Again I'm assuming this is because my SMC lacks an option to select the SE567 as its gateway -- is this right?

damaloid

@telus.net

said by shunx:

Both should use DHCP? I had assumed that only the SE567 should use DHCP. OK I turned on the DHCP on my SMC router and set its IP range outside SE567's range, but that didn't work. While my wireless device could get an IP, there's no internet access as it seems the SMC router is not getting connection from the SE567. Again I'm assuming this is because my SMC lacks an option to select the SE567 as its gateway -- is this right?
Yes, im using both with DHCP on. It does seem odd but it works. If you use DHCP only with the SE it should work as well though I never went that way. You dont have to select any special options, just make sure that both are out of each others range. Each have there own gateway. Most routers like the 192 range by default. Try setting up the SE first with a private IP other than 192. once you can connect successfully, connect the second router and set it up. Take a look at your second routers WAN ip, does it have the private ip of the SE? And take a second look at your ip filtering, maybe you have it turned on.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to shunx

Instead of running such a setup, called Telus and replace the SE567 with the Speedtouch ST516. That way you won't run into double-NAT problems, as you will be using an actual modem instead of a gateway.
--
Asus P5Q-E / Q9450 @ 3.6 / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 8500 / XFX 9800 GX2 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

shunx

Canada

1 edit
reply to damaloid

I tried a new router and found out that besides turning on DHCP I had to use its WAN port to connect to the SE567 for it to work as an access point. This is interesting as normally when I chained routers together as switches I must use only the LAN ports and disable the DHCP. The WAN port and DHCP function seem to go hand in hand, at least in my setup.

Found that that if you use a different LAN IP range on the AP, connected devices can not access others in a different LAN IP range.

Eventually all I had to do on the new router (Trendnet TEW-652BRP) was disable its DHCP, change its IP to the same LAN as the SE567 but outside SE567's DHCP range, and it worked properly. I could not get the same thing to work with the old SMC so it might be a router issue.