All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« New Speeds!
This is a sub-selection from Massive Slowdowns?

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to bigburd

Re: Massive Slowdowns?

latley I have been having alot of drops but in the past days maybe they are done

»www.speedtest.net/result/568804542.png

bigburd

join:2009-09-14
Butte, MT
kudos:1

I got my full 15mb tonight on the bresnan server lets see if it stays this way

jodokast82

join:2007-10-26
Great Falls, MT

1 edit

Congrats on the evening speed up. Was it about 10pm-ish? Or closer to midnight? The reason we are all getting bad performance is that Bresnan got greedy and over-subscribed their bandwidth. They are planning a few new connections to Seattle and Denver to relieve some of the congestion but that's about it as far as I know. I mean, we are Montana. We aren't high on the "must-add-backbones" list. I finally got a response from our friendly tier 2 tech support. Don't get me wrong, this is a good support agent and does her job well. Being in the remote support and phone support business I understand how hard it can be to do that job, but being in that line of work I can also tell when I am being relayed info thru a 3rd party that isn't quite sure what the info means. E-mail reads as follows.

"I managed to get a quick response to your slow speed issues during peak times. Our Network Engineers are aware of the issue now and have it scheduled to be repaired in the near future. I just wanted to let you know that we are attending to the matter as best as we can. It may be a couple of weeks until results are realized. I know that the time frame is never "soon enough" but I hope knowing that it will be resolved soon will help. Your ticket will be attached to the parent issue for resolution."

So basically you can read this 2 ways. The lumbering beast that is Bresnan is actually going to fix the issue, whether it be before or after the supposed network expansion. Or they are just sick of me complaining and are telling me what they think I want to hear. I personally hope for the former, not the latter. This comes after the phone support basically told me "I do feel that the problem is, sadly, off network therefore out of our hands". I sent them some line tests from DSLreports that showed upwards of 10 to 15% packet loss on a number of servers in the network during peak and then got that E-mail the next day

Expand your moderator at work