All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ancodia
join:2006-07-10
canada

ancodia

so if UBB billing does come into effect in November ...

... when will Teksavvy be required to notify its customers? the day of the change? 30 days prior to the date Bell starts? 30 days from the customers billing date? what are our rights??

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan
join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.

AkFubar

You should post your question in the Teksavvy Direct Forum where someone from Teksavvy can provide an answer.
Shada1
join:2007-03-09
Stratford, ON

Shada1 to ancodia

to ancodia
Until you are notified by Teksavvy you still have your original cap. You will not be charged for UBB until you are notified by Teksavvy directly either Email or Mail. Customers are not required to get their info for themselves or to check teksavvy page for updates changes in services. So until you hear form Tekavvy just pretend nothing is going on and no changes have occurred.

Steve Jobs
American living in Canada
Premium Member
join:2002-06-23
canada

Steve Jobs to AkFubar

Premium Member

to AkFubar
I'm sure that information can be provided here as well.
ancodia
canada

3 edits

ancodia

I understand they must tell us, I was more curious as to how much notice they are required to give us regarding the change. Maybe some of us would like to explore our options before the ubb charges but would be unable to without ample notice. For instance, Cogeco shadow billed it's customers for 3 months before charging to allow customers to adapt.

So legally, what is the required minimum allowed to inform us of changes to the service billing?

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb to ancodia

Premium Member

to ancodia
I don't think there is a legal minimum. Because we're not on contracts the nature of the service can change at any time, and at that point it is up to you to either cancel or continue receiving the service.
ancodia
canada

1 edit

ancodia

so if it comes into effect nov 9 (from Bell) & Teksavvy decides to pass of the charges on to the customer, they only need to tell us nov 8th? that doesnt seem fair. In my mind month to month is still a contract, so at least one billing cycle should be required for notice.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY

Premium Member

said by ancodia:

so if it comes into effect nov 9 (from Bell) & Teksavvy decides to pass of the charges on to the customer, they only need to tell us nov 8th? that doesnt seem fair.
We're going to try and give as much notification as possible. You have to remember this is a messed up situation, not caused by us. We're stuck in the middle of something that is very unfair to both TekSavvy and customer right now.

For us to implement all that is needed to get this setup is insane as well, cost-wise.... (equipment/HR/design, etc...)
ancodia
canada

1 edit

ancodia

said by JGROCKY:

said by ancodia:

so if it comes into effect nov 9 (from Bell) & Teksavvy decides to pass of the charges on to the customer, they only need to tell us nov 8th? that doesnt seem fair.
We're going to try and give as much notification as possible. You have to remember this is a messed up situation, not caused by us. We're stuck in the middle of something that is very unfair to both TekSavvy and customer right now.

For us to implement all that is needed to get this setup is insane as well, cost-wise.... (equipment/HR/design, etc...)
I appreciate that, but from the customers side alot of us are looking at a 50% increase in our bill. In a way, isn't Teksavvy adding to the uncertainty? You have know for a long period of time of the possible implemenation of UBB and the rates that may come into effect. Why wouldn't you shadow bill your customers using the provided rates/fees? Right now nobody can even check their usage amounts to determine what their bill might be. I have no idea what my usage is for the last 3 months. Sure, I could call in but do you expect everyone to call in to check?
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Consumer protection laws in Québec require 30 days notice of any price change on monthly bills.

JGROCKY
Premium Member
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

JGROCKY to ancodia

Premium Member

to ancodia
There are some technical issues with real time metering because of how radius is setup.

Also, when would you suggest we tell clients when we're not sure if it is even happening? We should have an idea of where things are at by near mid-October, which is likely where we'll have to prepare a "might-get-charged" email or "this might be the new rate/cap structures" but it is in everyone's best interest that delay I think as the alternative could cause a frenzy.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Consumer protection laws in Québec require 30 days notice of any price change on monthly bills.
So we should get news by 11 days, logically...

shrug
@mc.videotron.ca

shrug to AkFubar

Anon

to AkFubar
said by AkFubar:

You should post your question in the Teksavvy Direct Forum where someone from Teksavvy can provide an answer.
I'm sure many want to know and many would like a reply.

No need to hide it in a locked out forum.

they said
@mc.videotron.ca

they said to ancodia

Anon

to ancodia
said by ancodia:

so if it comes into effect nov 9 (from Bell) & Teksavvy decides to pass of the charges on to the customer, they only need to tell us nov 8th? that doesnt seem fair. In my mind month to month is still a contract, so at least one billing cycle should be required for notice.
The CRTC did tell Bell that they have to give 30-days prior notice to the wholesalers before it begins.

Will the wholesaler then tell the customer ASAP when they get this notice?

Will the current court filing or CRTC filings put this on hold?

The CRTC doesn't give a damn about you the "consumer". Though if you get less than 30-days notice, you should bitch loud to the CRTC for not giving a damn about the Canadian people, which they are supposed to do per their mandate (yet don't).

All the more reason to sign the petition...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to JGROCKY

to JGROCKY
said by JGROCKY:

We should have an idea of where things are at by near mid-October, which is likely where we'll have to prepare a "might-get-charged" email or "this might be the new rate/cap structures" but it is in everyone's best interest that delay I think as the alternative could cause a frenzy.
Mid-October could be cutting it close for people who decide to switch to something else... like some startup's FTTH who may have a lead-time of weeks on installations.

As for causing a frenzy, that may be just what we need to guarantee the issue gets a politically uncomfortable amount of public scrutiny... you just need to be particularly concise yet thorough in your explanation to make sure there is no misunderstanding about why this may happen.

inmyopinion
@teksavvy.com

inmyopinion to ancodia

Anon

to ancodia
People aren't stupid, if you tell them their bills are going to go up because of bell, their will be a lot more support and word of mouth support to help the cause.

People are more likely to give a backlash response if you don't give them at least a months notice.
inmyopinion

inmyopinion to ancodia

Anon

to ancodia
By not giving 30 days at least, Teksavvy is going to look like they are taking a underhanded tactic out of Bells page book, and likely to upset more people. I think by warning people early less people are likely to leave teksavvy. They will appreciate the heads up notice.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to they said

Premium Member

to they said
said by they said :

The CRTC did tell Bell that they have to give 30-days prior notice to the wholesalers before it begins.

This is another reason for yet another R&V because the CRTC ruling on notice forces ISP's to break consumer protection notification laws, unless the independent ISP's want to eat the losses.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by MaynardKrebs:

This is another reason for yet another R&V because the CRTC ruling on notice forces ISP's to break consumer protection notification laws, unless the independent ISP's want to eat the losses.
If people continue applying for stay motions based on each little legality or technicality that may arise, the CRTC might realize that Bell's alleged trouble with migrating grandfathered plans to UBB are nothing compared to the headaches the CRTC has exposed itself to in its handling of the UBB and DPI proceedings.
cbp
join:2005-11-24
Montreal, QC

cbp to ancodia

to ancodia
said by they said :

Well, Bell did say they will implement it starting july, well before the CRTC even ruled for it. So they can argue that they did, and a long time at that. It's all in the number of lawyers and bribes.
said by inmyopinion :

People aren't stupid, if you tell them their bills are going to go up because of bell, their will be a lot more support and word of mouth support to help the cause.
As much as I agree with you, I don't believe TSI can use Bell's name in the emails/letters without getting sued by the above mentioned lawyers.
At best TSI can say that: "Due to the CRTC decision blah blah... price increase".
This won't have any effect on the user, who will think with their pockets and move to the cheapest choice, Bell, for like 20$ + unseen hidden fees.

For best results an email/letter must me sent out as soon as possible making aware and educating the consumer on what might be coming. This can be sent as an attachment to the invoice.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

said by cbp:

said by inmyopinion :

As much as I agree with you, I don't believe TSI can use Bell's name in the emails/letters without getting sued by the above mentioned lawyers.
At best TSI can say that: "Due to the CRTC decision blah blah... price increase".
This won't have any effect on the user, who will think with their pockets and move to the cheapest choice, Bell, for like 20$ + unseen hidden fees.

For best results an email/letter must me sent out as soon as possible making aware and educating the consumer on what might be coming. This can be sent as an attachment to the invoice.
They can probably say "Due to the CRTC decision blah blah... price increase... unfortunately, the extra money you're soon going to be charged won't even be going to us, but to a major DSL provider. This decision may cause us to go out of business. ..."

I'm guessing mentioning "major DSL provider" is still a phrase which can be attacked by the lawyers.

re iterate
@mc.videotron.ca

re iterate to inmyopinion

Anon

to inmyopinion
said by inmyopinion :

By not giving 30 days at least, Teksavvy is going to look like they are taking a underhanded tactic out of Bells page book, and likely to upset more people. I think by warning people early less people are likely to leave teksavvy. They will appreciate the heads up notice.
TSI can't pull a rabbit out of its hat when it's still unkonwn

They CRTC should have said once the 30-days is given to TSI, then the customer should be allowed 30-days as well to be notified on their next bill.

But NoOoOoOoOo. the CRTC, as said above, doesn't give a damn about you.

Again, if there is less than 30-days notice to the customers billing cycle, then the fuss needs to be raised with the CRTC not with TSI.

It's the CRTC who made this mess with their own ruling. No one else.

What MaynardKrebs said.

If and when it kicks in, we should all start own own filing to bitch at the CRTC for not giving a damn and not fulfilling its mandate to the people.

@cbp Bell doesn't have it's own b/w meter working. Go look in their own forum and see for yourself. It doesn't matter what they say to the CRTC. The CRTC said they have to give formal notice to the wholesalers 30-days in advance.

It should be a 60-day minimum 30-days for wholesalers and a billing cycle for customers.

Who is going to file when they get less than 30-days?

eh wut
@mc.videotron.ca

eh wut to cbp

Anon

to cbp
said by cbp:

I don't believe TSI can use Bell's name in the emails/letters without getting sued by the above mentioned lawyers.
Sure they can mention Bell by name. Its a public proceeding that went on. Get out of the cave.
rhl2000
join:2008-04-02
Montreal, QC

rhl2000 to shrug

to shrug
Indeed.

A +10 on that... Here is the RIGHT place to bring this up, since Teksavvy ARE responding here.
CoverIt
join:2009-08-07

CoverIt to ancodia

to ancodia
No public discussion should take place about this until they know for sure. All it will cause is rumor and panic.

noway123
@teksavvy.com

noway123 to ancodia

Anon

to ancodia
I got a question if bell is gonna do this anyways then who is gonna verify they're equipment and methods are valid in calculating how much bandwidth is being sent?
InvalidError

InvalidError to cbp

to cbp
said by cbp:

"For further information, refer to »www.crtc.gc.ca/public/87 ··· 233.zip"

There you go, blame dumped on Bell by referring subscribers to the actual tariff that makes the service possible.

However, since GAS is a public tariff, I would be surprised if TSI could not directly re-state the relevant parts using Bell's name since it is for a legitimate business purpose and verifiable fact from public documents.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to CoverIt

Premium Member

to CoverIt
said by CoverIt:

No public discussion should take place about this until they know for sure. All it will cause is rumor and panic.
I agree all the guessing is pointless. We'll hear about this when there is something to hear.

RabbitX
join:2009-08-25

RabbitX to ancodia

to ancodia
I have nothing to say, but this:

IF they are going to charge more, I hope, no, I EXPECT the service to be BETTER. My damn ISP better treat me like a VIP! Nothing personal, but this is C(R)APITALISM, ain't it?

Oh, I use Velcom. I apoligise for any unintentional cross-posting, but this seems to be a relevant thread to post on. Can someone please point to the direction of my ISP's thread?

[LAUGHS ABOUT THE IDEA OF EXPECTING SPECIAL TREATMENT GO HERE!]
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to re iterate

Premium Member

to re iterate
said by re iterate :

They CRTC should have said once the 30-days is given to TSI, then the customer should be allowed 30-days as well to be notified on their next bill.

But NoOoOoOoOo. the CRTC, as said above, doesn't give a damn about you.

Again, if there is less than 30-days notice to the customers billing cycle, then the fuss needs to be raised with the CRTC not with TSI.

It's the CRTC who made this mess with their own ruling. No one else.

What MaynardKrebs said.

If and when it kicks in, we should all start own own filing to bitch at the CRTC for not giving a damn and not fulfilling its mandate to the people.

Who is going to file when they get less than 30-days?

1) Whatever the former Ministry of Consumer & Commercial Relations is now called ought to be informed.

2) Launch a lawsuit naming Bell, CRTC, and your own ISP if insufficient notice is given by the ISP due to Bell's insufficient notice to the ISP, notwithstanding the CRTC ruling. 100k+ lawsuits, each with 3 defendants, in dozens of counties across Ontario/Quebec. I pity the ISP's - Bell & the CRTC not so much.

The CRTC decision forces a violation of provincial statues by the independent ISP's if Bell gives less than 60 days notice even though pursuant to the CRTC decision Bell only has to give 30 days.