uniqs

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Gonna buy a snow blower.

My wife gave me the go ahead to buy a snow blower. After leaving the military we lived in an apartment for the first few years, never needed a blower. Now that we are in a house we have the need. Besides the driveway and walks, we will need to clear some of the back yard for the dog. The snow around here get to be twice as deep as she is tall (Jack Russell Terrier).

The man in me wants to go get the biggest baddest thing on the planet. But the reasonable part of me will prevail. Plus, you know, the wife gets her input. We will be buying a premium brand though. I have always been a fan of Ariens, they make good stuff and are a local manufacturer near me. I like the ST20E and ST24E. The 20 is nice, as the small size will fit nicely in the garage, and our house has some narrow walks that will be easier with it.

Can anyone provide more thoughts on these models, or offer some suggestions to other premium sub-$1000 brands and models on the market?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

1 edit

jrs8084

Premium Member

I don't know if you have your heart set on a 2 stage. My father, several several family members, and their neighbors have the Toro CCR single stage. (They (Toro) has smaller models, but all the people I know have around the larger 5 HP motors). They all like them because it will scrape the pavement clean (like a single stage), but has the power to throw heavy wet snow (like a dual stage).

My father got one of the first models back in '88, and is still enjoying it. I used it a lot growing up-it really does throw the snow, but is smaller, self propelled, and doesn't take up space like a 2 stage. I don't know if this is a drawback to you, but it is a 2 stroke motor.

Maybe other people can offer their input for them. Now, I don't live in he snow belt anymore, so I don't know how things have changed.

Now, if you need to clear 2 feet in a single cleaning, forget this

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
I bought an Ariens a couple of years ago...and since I've bought it the only snow we've gotten has been heavy and wet. It works OK, but I've yet to get the nice, fluffy snow that can be thrown 20 to 30 feet

I don't know exactly which model I got off the top of my head. It's a 24" path and dual stage....looks very much like the one you have pictured above. It also has electric start, which I have never had to use. It starts right up and runs like a champ. Even though it isn't single stage, it clears the snow so close to the pavement that you can hardly tell anything is left.

I'd recommend an Ariens....thought a 36" cut thrower for $6000 is also very tempting What really sold me is the fact that HD only caried Ariens and Yard Machines. I pushed on the housing at the top of the intake on the YM models and it bowed really easily. The Ariens is made of heavier gauge steel and worth the price premium.

I did break the plastic cradle for the clean-out shovel last winter. I clogged up with really heavy snow and when I removed the shovel, the cradle broke. I'll fix this with a couple pieces of velcro, though.
GdotMikeL
join:2001-04-23
West Chicago, IL

GdotMikeL to Lurch77

to Lurch77
I cleared an area last winter for our dog and when spring came around that grass never came back very well and the weeds took over that patch. I'm sure the snow covering the grass must protect it from the cold. So, this winter I'll still clear a patch for her, but, I won't go all the way down to the grass.
I would agree the Toro seems to do just as good a job as a 2-stage machine on snow up to about 6 inches. But, nothing will get through the "present" the snow plow leaves at the foot of your driveway like a 2-stager.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to jrs8084

Premium Member

to jrs8084
Yes I am pretty much set on a 2 stage. I have seen the single stage machines frustrate enough people around here that I don't want to bother. We get a lot of snow, and I want something that can eat through whatever it runs into, even the thick snow plow berms at the end of the driveway.

Mike, my father in law would clear his yard for his dog and never had a problem with the grass. I will be sure to ask him what he does, if anything, to keep it healthy.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to Lurch77

MVM

to Lurch77
You might want to invest in a set of chains for the tires, helps get you going through icy conditions better. But beware, chains can permanently scratch some surfaces like brick and flagstone walks if you're not careful.
As far as clearing a path for the dogs in grassy areas, just lift the front-end up an inch or two, so the scraper blade does not dig into the lawn.
You may have to take partial "bites" of the packed snow berm at the end of the driveway from the town plows, that snow gets packed and very heavy and is often too much for many small machines. You could also snap a shear pin on the first-stage auger drive if you hit a heavy chunk of snow or ice.
Sometimes it helps to go out and clear your desired areas after the first few inches, even during while it's still snowing. I'd prefer have the machine make two light passes rather than one heavy one.

Zupper
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Novelty, OH

Zupper to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
October issue of Consumer Reports has ratings on snow blowers.

For 2 stage, they gave 2 "Recommended":
Troy Built 3090XP (30", $1100)
Ariens ST927LE (27", $1000)

and 2 "Best Buy":
Craftsman 88999 (28", $900)
Craftsman 88955 (24", $600)

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Good for you, meng.

luma9
Premium Member
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC

luma9 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I grew up in Northern Ontario where a Snow Blower is pretty much a requirement and Ariens was always the top brand. I know some folks up there that still have the same Ariens since my childhood and they are still going strong.

They cost a bit more but are worth it.
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Blowers no real comment its a thing it moves snow I would just get something that looked decent... I got one (local store re brand) put it in lowest speed it will go do 2foot of road plow ice... 10 years old, paints coming off but works fine.

Just remember BUY EXTRA SHEAR BOLTS! or pins what ever you have. They will break, and only when you have 2 feet of snow to move.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I have a small 24" Poulan 6hp two stage blower I got at Costco last winter, and it was absolutely amazing in the last winter... Its narrow enough to store neatly in the single car garage next to garbage bins, and has enough bite to go thru wet/frozen snow and toss it all the way across the road. I was a little weary of the rather low HP rating, but it never stalled once during heavy snow. I guess time will tell how the belt/driveline will hold up, but after one winter it was pretty impressive.

A few neighbours have single stage ones, and they always seem to struggle in the heavy/wet snow...

I'm very happy with my purchase.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
The pictured Airens looks like it doesn't have remote control of the angle for the discharge chute. Personally I wouldn't be able to live without it. Airens are nice, similar to the Simplicity I have. I had first bought a Cub Cadet with Tecumseh engine, biggest POS ever. Used it twice, after being parked the second time it emptied the entire tank of gas all over the floor. Never ran for more than 15 mins after that and it was going to be a two week turnaround with no loaner so back it went. The dealer I got the Simplicity from offers free pickup and will drop off a loaner if a storm is on the way and they can't fix it quickly. My Simplicity has a Briggs&Stratton which starts easy in the event an outlet isn't near and runs smooth and quiet. The Tecumseh was very loud with a rougher idle. As a plus the Simplicity has a shutoff valve on the tank so no chance of the float sticking and draining the tank on the floor.
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Simplicity.

If you have serious snow to deal with, the automatic shift in the impeller is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You should have remote adjustment of chute discharge angle.

If you're in a place like Buffalo, you should have the cutters that mount on the sides of the housing in the front.

You can get a 24" machine with a "10.5" hp engine. I say "10.5" because this engine is identical right down to every part number to the one on the larger 36" machines that's advertised to be 13.5 hp. It's the same 305cc Briggs. Go figure.

You can never have too much power. I've been so pleased with mine -- absolutely nothing will slow it down in the slightest. It has never once clogged, even throwing 5" of slush -- slush so heavy that I could barely lift a shovel full of it.

I don't much like the wheels on the one you've shown here. They're kind of small and don't have nearly deep enough tread. You will need chains with them.

I have always cleared a large area for the dogs, right down to the grass. That grass has always come back to life earlier than the stuff that's been under the snow.

call thearmy
@anonymouse.org

call thearmy to HiVolt

Anon

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

A few neighbours have single stage ones, and they always seem to struggle in the heavy/wet snow...
Then get Mel to call the army like he did last time.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I looked at the Simplicity website. In order to get the remote adjustable discharge chute you need to step up to the mid range or higher model. Over my self imposed $1000 limit. Ariens is the same way. Never the less, I will look at the Simplicity Intermediate model in person too. I like some of the features it has.
dingo4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08

dingo4 to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I have had a simplicity and have done nothing to it but change the oil every year. It has given me 12 years of trouble free operation...and we get quite a bit of snow....

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I am about 1 hour up 41 from you, in Oconto, so i agree with the snow. Maybe not as much as some places, but we get our share. Especially last year.

I am going to look at Simplicity for sure, with so many recommendations. They were acquired by Briggs & Stratton in 2005, along with Snapper and the name rights to failed Murray. Briggs is a good company, so expect the current models to be built with the same quality. But I will definitely check them out carefully.

OldEODDude
Premium Member
join:2007-02-13
Northern PA

OldEODDude

Premium Member

I've had a 2-stage simplicity for about 4 years. It's a good tool.

I would recommend you pick up an extra shear pin or 2 for the auger--no matter what brand you buy.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I know it'll be hard to do, but, buy any brand that wasn't made in China.
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to Lurch77

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

I looked at the Simplicity website. In order to get the remote adjustable discharge chute you need to step up to the mid range or higher model. Over my self imposed $1000 limit. Ariens is the same way. Never the less, I will look at the Simplicity Intermediate model in person too. I like some of the features it has.
Also check out the frame construction. My previous machine had those tubular handlebars. They were always flexing and causing alignment problems with the controls. The machine I have now

product description:
»www.simplicitymfg.com/pr ··· l-stage/

specs:
»www.simplicitymfg.com/pr ··· ndex.cfm

the P1524E, has steel channels for mounting the control panel. It makes a difference. Even though it weighs 240 lbs, it's far easier to handle than the one I had before that was 50 lb lighter. This has a feature that I'd never want to be without -- a small lever that unlocks the drive axle so that the wheels can turn independently. When you're dealing with restricted areas or corners, or even just moving the machine around to park it in the garage, this feature is worth its weight in gold.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

1 edit

Lurch77 to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
Which is why I am looking at premium brands like Ariens and Simplicity. The Ariens is built in Brillion WI, and they use engines from Briggs & Stratton, another WI company.

Simplicity is a little up in the air. The factory is in Port Washington WI, but rumor has it they may be moving. they have closed the factory and moved elsewhere. Press releases say to other US plants. There is more to it, but it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy for Simplicity anymore. Briggs owns them, and they have moved some of their engine plants to Mexico and China already. I can't say I trust the quality will remain as it has in the past. Not to mention pulling the work out of my home state.
Lurch77

Lurch77 to srr2

Premium Member

to srr2
Nice machine no doubt. But you are double my price range with something like that.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I picked up an old Toro 724 at a yard sale for $50 delivered.

It's a 1979 with a 7HP Tecumseh engine but it looks like it was barely used.

I'm going to replace the spark plug and change the oil. Hopefully, that's all it needs.

Sopper
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Rochester, MN

Sopper to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Buy a Deere. I have had mine for 10+ years and my father had it for 10 years before. Throws heavy snow and has always started on the first pull. Two stage is the way to go in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan.

Beebe
join:2002-10-25
Beebe, AR

1 edit

Beebe

just get a flame thrower and melt the stuff.

cacroll
Eventually, Prozac becomes normal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Martinez, CA

cacroll to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
I will be happy for you, and plan to admire that from a distance - a very long distance.

Here, we have triple digit temps predicted for tomorrow and Tuesday.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Forgot to mention the lever release for a wheel to make quick turns. That is also a great feature.
sbcretired
join:2006-01-07
Scottville, MI

sbcretired to Lurch77

to Lurch77
Good for you on getting an Airens. I hate the new ones. They remind me of a new car, so many govt safety things you can hardly recognize the snow blower.
I recommend no smaller than a 6hp. Chains are a good option.
Over 30 yrs ago, I bought a 8hp 30" Airens and its been used in Michigan all this time. Only replaced a few parts and belts.
They really don't get that much running time, so it should last.
I wouldn't be afraid of buying a used one either.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
About 2 years ago, my 30 year old MTD died while I was clearing off an around 8' snowfall. I called around and found a 26" Troy-bilt for around $750 at Blaines Farm and Fleet in stock.
»www.troybilt.com/webapp/ ··· 55003_-1

While I do like certain features of it over the MTD, the Troy-bilt is lighter, which makes it cutting/digging it's own way through the snow a bit more difficult, you have to man handle it a bit sometimes. However, that lighter weight also makes using the machine easier, you don't have to work as hard to move it around.

The Troy-bilt throws the snow much farther and higher than the MTD did as well, even though the MTD was also 2 stage. One thing I don't like about the Troy-bilt is that even the faster reverse gear is still pretty slow.

Make sure you get something with electric start, always makes that first start easier.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Troybuilt is made by MTD. I have an MTD and it's worked very well at changing the weather so we don't get as much snow

When it does snow, it works well. Electric start, 2 stage.