spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JDH770

@newnanutilities.org

Big outage this morning

Thank goodness the neighbor is both understanding *AND* has an unsecured WAP with a cable connection...

I've been with Atlantic Nexus for a few years and have never had a complaint. These guys are top notch.

This morning, there is no connectivity on the LAN side, and the atnex web sites aappear unreachable. In the years I have been subscribing to Atlantic Nexus, this is the first outage I have experienced that I can recall, that appears to be either with their equipment, or with AT&T's equipment between me and AtNex.

Metro Atlanta has been getting a bunch of rain and I heard news reports of localized flooding, so I'm hoping the AtNex guys aren't working in chest waders.

I left a message with tech-support. I know those guys probably have their hands full.

zenatnex

@atlanticnexus.net

Actually only their DNS is down, everything else is still going strong... except for Tech Support I must say. Should've at least put up a message on the phone telling people to use a public DNS server temporarily. Nah, instead you get to leave a message, get disconnected without further options, and then wait indefinitely... for what?

Anyhow, looks like AtNex is taking the SpeedFactory route. No surprise really.

reply to JDH770

I know they are extremely stretched at the moment to say the least, but it would be nice if one of Atlantic Nexus exec's would post here a status of the situation so we would know what to expect.

Malk

@comcast.net
reply to zenatnex

Not correct its bigger than jsut DNS I jsut tried 3 differant sets of DNS address's with no luck.

timbob6
Premium
join:2005-10-06
Powder Springs, GA
reply to JDH770

We are working diligently to resolve the current outage. We will post an update shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,

The Atnex Team

slick1ru23

join:2003-06-07
Marietta, GA
reply to JDH770

This is going to be a double post because they delay anonomous posts. I got on using OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. You have to recycle after entering them.

slick1ru2

@atlanticnexus.net
reply to JDH770

I just got on using OpenDNS. You have to cycle your router after.

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are the addresses. I can't connect to the mail server, but I forward my mail from gmail.

Malk

@comcast.net
reply to timbob6

Woulda have been nice to put some kind of message on the phones when people call in...we are after all your customers and this isnt the first time you guys have had this suggestion.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to JDH770

I can tell you one thing. I started calling before 7 am and never got a call back. I am not a happy camper. I would like to thank zen for posting about it only being the DNS server. I do know they are evacuating Powder Springs right now and I see that timbob has that for his location. I have lost faith after this lack of response by customer support. An automated message at their phone number with the solution of how to change the DNS server was all that was needed. I have gone through 2 DSL companies going under and if it wasn't for the weather, this would have me looking for a new provider.

jdh7700

join:2005-07-15
Newnan, GA

said by slick1ru23:

I have gone through 2 DSL companies going under and if it wasn't for the weather, this would have me looking for a new provider.
I can understand the frustration. Still, I doubt you could name any other DSL provider in the metro Atlanta area who, on average, provides better service than Atlantic-Nexus.

There is no perfect provider. In my experience, Atlantic-Nexus has been a *DAMN* fine provider. Given the weather and flooding they are experiencing in their area, I'm more than willing to cut them some slack.

Opinions may vary.

Island boy

join:2009-09-21
Dacula, GA
reply to JDH770

We are back up in NE Gwinnett (Dacula/Buford/Hamilton Mill).

Website also appears to be back up, which is recent - I was trying to access it an hour or so ago.

Maybe everything is drying out, or has been drained? Hopefully this is the last for a while... a long while...

Island Boy

jdh7700

join:2005-07-15
Newnan, GA
reply to jdh7700

Forgot to mention that I am back up. Been out for a bit, so I'm not sure when it came back up.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA

3 edits
reply to jdh7700

said by jdh7700:

said by slick1ru23:

I have gone through 2 DSL companies going under and if it wasn't for the weather, this would have me looking for a new provider.
I can understand the frustration. Still, I doubt you could name any other DSL provider in the metro Atlanta area who, on average, provides better service than Atlantic-Nexus.

There is no perfect provider. In my experience, Atlantic-Nexus has been a *DAMN* fine provider. Given the weather and flooding they are experiencing in their area, I'm more than willing to cut them some slack.

Opinions may vary.
What I mean is, those 2 companies were here one day, gone without warning the next leaving me without internet for a couple of weeks in each instance. This outage with no official word smacks of the same thing, they just went under. Obviously, they did not. I agree, when you have a singular problem, they are very good. Today demonstrates that when it is a large problem with many customers involved, their customer service is very poor, scratch that, non-existent, I still have yet to get a call back and I left several messages starting at around 6:40 am. They need to work on that. Big Time.

timbob6
Premium
join:2005-10-06
Powder Springs, GA

2 edits
reply to JDH770

Monday morning 09/21/09, Atnex experienced an outage related to a core switch facing our DNS servers that was failed over and replaced. We apologize if we missed your call this morning during the outage. Our business office was in the flood zone in Powder Springs so the majority of our support staff were unable to arrive at the call center this am. Many awoke to find their houses under several feet of water. I would like to thank our loyal Atnex staff members who overcame many physical obstacles this am to get this outage resolved. I would also like to thank our customers for your patience in working through this local Natural Disaster. For any customers experiencing ongoing issues, please contact us at »www.atnex.net/contactus.htm

Sincerely,

Tim Barton
Chief Operations Officer
Atlantic Nexus

> know they are extremely stretched at the moment to say the least,

Given the report Tim, my statement was a considerable understatement. I for one appreciate the hard work under trying circumstances.

slick1ru23

Marietta, GA
reply to JDH770

Thanks for the update Tim. Sorry to hear about your employees. I have family in Powder Springs too we are hoping don't have to evacuate. I figured it had to be weather related, and now we know it was much more then that. Thanks for getting back to us.