Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Repub FCC commissioners have not commented yet

said by Matt3:Do you think this will actually have a backbone behind it, or is it just political posturing in the guise of consumer interests?

I find it interesting that the 2 Dem FCC commissioners gave a big back slap to Genachowski in their statements. But the 2 Repub commissioners haven't commented yet. It seems to indicate they don't agree. We will find out later if they actually make something public.

But as shown in this news story, the FCC will get plenty of opposition from industry and from some in Congress. I'd bet that the wireless companies will lobby hardest against this.
»news.yahoo.com/s/nf/2009 ··· nf/69053

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Tk, you're telling me you're surprised that Dems and Repubs don't agree and the "new guy" won't take an official stance on anything either way yet?

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I find it interesting that the 2 Dem FCC commissioners gave a big back slap to Genachowski in their statements. But the 2 Repub commissioners haven't commented yet. It seems to indicate they don't agree.
I'm shocked I tell you, absolutely SHOCKED!
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

I find it interesting that the 2 Dem FCC commissioners gave a big back slap to Genachowski in their statements. But the 2 Repub commissioners haven't commented yet. It seems to indicate they don't agree.
YOU LIE!!!

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by viperlmw:
said by FFH5:

YOU LIE!!!
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you find something inaccurate with what I said? Care to elaborate?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

said by viperlmw:
said by FFH5:

YOU LIE!!!
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you find something inaccurate with what I said? Care to elaborate?
I think he's referring to Joe Wilson.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
said by FFH5:
said by viperlmw:
said by FFH5:

YOU LIE!!!
I'm hoping it was a joke based on the Joe Wilson rudeness.

As Julius Genachowski was speaking today, I was smirking to myself how funny it would be if Richard Bennett, George Ou, Brett Glass, or someone of that ilk were to suddenly blurt out, "You Lie!" (None of them were actually in the room, and I kinda doubt two of those three guys would have been so rude as to really do that, but that's still something that kinda crossed my mind.)

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

But as shown in this news story, the FCC will get plenty of opposition from industry and from some in Congress. I'd bet that the wireless companies will lobby hardest against this.
Senate Republicans move to block FCC "open internet" rules with amendment to an appropriations bill:

»www.eweek.com/c/a/Govern ··· -438469/
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison introduced an amendment that would deny the FCC any funds for developing or implementing new Internet regulations.

Co-sponsoring the amendment were Republican Sens. John Ensign, Sam Brownback, David Vitter, Jim DeMint and John Thune.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by FFH5:

Senate Republicans move to block FCC "open internet" rules with amendment to an appropriations bill:

»www.eweek.com/c/a/Govern ··· -438469/
Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison introduced an amendment that would deny the FCC any funds for developing or implementing new Internet regulations.

Co-sponsoring the amendment were Republican Sens. John Ensign, Sam Brownback, David Vitter, Jim DeMint and John Thune.
A minority-proposed amendment doesn't mean much. It's sure getting a lot of press, though.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

2 Repub FCC commissioners put out joint statement

Mostly they don't like it, but say the FCC should go forward SLOWLY and not just rubber stamp what Genachowski wants. And at the end they say the FCC is hypocritical when they admit the "4 principles" were unenforceable, but are nonetheless defending them in court against Comcast.

»hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_ ··· 74A1.pdf
Curiously, today’s speech appears to admit that the Commission did not have enforceable rules
at the time of last year’s Comcast/BitTorrent decision while the Commission simultaneously files
its appellate brief defending that decision.
SuperWISP
join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY

4 edits

1 recommendation

SuperWISP to funchords

to funchords

Re: Repub FCC commissioners have not commented yet

Robb, I knew I could count on you to think of me. How sweet.

Let's just say, discreetly, in Swiftian terms, that the Chairman said some things that were not so.

And probably without realizing that they were not so. I hope to visit with him and his staff to correct these things, which were doubtless told to him and his staff by mendacious DC lobbyists such as yourself and the groups for which you work.

Which are, in turn, all funded by Google.
SuperWISP

1 edit

SuperWISP to funchords

to funchords
said by funchords:

A minority-proposed amendment doesn't mean much. It's sure getting a lot of press, though.
That's because they're right. Congress just recently reprimanded the FCC and insisted that it not be a loose cannon. Yet, today, the new Chairman -- while claiming that the new FCC would be data-driven and would not jump to conclusions -- stated without investigation several false conclusions (e.g. that there was no competition among providers) as the basis for a drive to regulate the Internet.

What's more, while the Chairman claims in his speech that there will be a public, open process, the proposed rules are being drafted behind closed doors, without public input or even the input of all of the Commissioners.

Since the FCC's powers are delegated by Congress, it has every right to stop such a farce before it gets going.
viperlmw
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25

viperlmw to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords
said by funchords:

I'm hoping it was a joke based on the Joe Wilson rudeness.
I really thought he would get that.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Update on Senate block of FCC net neutrality initiative

»voices.washingtonpost.co ··· ith.html
"While we are still generally opposed to net neutrality regulations, we have decided to hold off on the amendment because [FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski] approached us and we are beginning a dialogue," said a staff member on the committee.

An official at the FCC confirmed that Genachowski, who on Monday introduced a proposal for net neutrality rules, called Republican members who criticized his move, saying it could hurt the businesses of network operators. The call was intended to begin a conversation about the proposal that would prevent Internet service providers from blocking Web content and services.

Rebecca Arbogast, head of technology policy research at Stifel Nicholas, had said the move was a standard vehicle for Congress to block what regulatory agencies were trying to achieve in the executive branch or in a regulatory agency.
The Senate Republican's got what they wanted - Genachowski having to listen to them.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

I hope they have something to say, or he won't be listening for very long.
This is a sub-selection from Karl?