This is a sub-selection from Karl?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to Matt3

Re: Karl?

That's kind of what I wrote. The engineers get a technical voice, but the lawyers make the rules legally defensible.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Originally, the FCC was a mish mash of great thinkers, great engineers, lawyers, Doctors and just SMART, ACCOMPLISHED PEOPLE. Now it's solely lobbyists and lawyers stopping by on their way between think tank or K-Street employment.

openbox9
Premium
Germany

I know the history, and I'm not disputing it. I support a good "mish mash" of thinkers, engineers, lawyers, PhD types, and "smart, accomplished people". As I'm sure you're well cognizant of, we most likely won't see that again as long as politics reign and money talks.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

You are correct sir! Other reforms need to happen first.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

said by Karl Bode:

You are correct sir! Other reforms need to happen first.
mandatory chlorine in the gene pool?

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

1 edit
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

That's kind of what I wrote. The engineers get a technical voice, but the lawyers make the rules legally defensible.
Not the way I read it here... I got more of a "everything's fine, please move along.... Nothing to see" vibe from what you said...

openbox9
Premium
Germany

I left out the part about ensuring the lawyers make rules defensible, but I stated that the engineers should definitely have a voice. How did you discern "everything is fine here, nothing to see"?

said by openbox9:

They very well should have a voice in the matter, but they shouldn't be responsible for drafting policy.

SuperWISP

join:2007-04-17
Laramie, WY
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

Originally, the FCC was a mish mash of great thinkers, great engineers, lawyers, Doctors and just SMART, ACCOMPLISHED PEOPLE. Now it's solely lobbyists and lawyers stopping by on their way between think tank or K-Street employment.
And that's why it's proposing to regulate the Internet. Google spends a lot of money on K Street nowadays, and some folks seem to want to cash in.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

I left out the part about ensuring the lawyers make rules defensible, but I stated that the engineers should definitely have a voice. How did you discern "everything is fine here, nothing to see"?
said by openbox9:

They very well should have a voice in the matter, but they shouldn't be responsible for drafting policy.
That's currently how things seem to be drafted, so that's all that I meant. I think the layers and marketing department give more input on these matters than the engineering department. No slam on attorneys and marketing people intended...

mdrift

join:2003-08-15
Spokane, WA
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

As an Engineer we don't get squat. The Business Suits dictate, so please spare me on letting the Engineers design and implement. The leash is very short.

openbox9
Premium
Germany

This is about the way the FCC "should" function to draft rules and policy, not how it may or may not be operating currently. I have an engineering background too, so I believe I have a decent understanding of how things tend to work.

This is a sub-selection from Karl?