spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nate2073
join:2007-09-05
Helena, MT

1 edit

nate2073

Do you think my Bittorrent setup is excessive?

Recently I started experiencing a slowdown with Bresnan and this is why I am asking. Never had a problem before. The reduced settings seem to help now at least.

I use Transmission bittorrent client/server, specifically the daemon. My speed is 1MB/s upload and 15MB/s download. My bittorrent settings are:

301 global connections
120 connections per torrent
5 upload slots per torrent
Capped at 100KB/s upload
Max of 3 torrents global
Max 2 download

I recently lowered some settings
253 global
152 per torrent
6 slots
76KB/s upload cap

soadlink
join:2002-11-17
USA

soadlink

said by nate2073:

Recently I started experiencing a slowdown with Bresnan and this is why I am asking. Never had a problem before.
Definitely not your fault. Your upload is a bit higher than I usually go (i also have the 15/1 package) but it should be ok.

Ever since they got a new CMTS in Kalispell, my internet just dies when communicating with multiple remote computers. I'm thinking they may have changed the CMTS in your area too which is making your traffic behave the same way. Whether it be via Bittorent, a master server list loading for a game, scripts I run that query multiple servers per second, etc... it's bad. But speedtests are perfect, because it's only downloading/uploading from/to a single server. The new CMTS's are doing something to limit/queue/whatever traffic going to multiple different servers, and it's killing the internet when applications need to do this.

I have my bittorent connections and what not set in the 10000+ range. My pfsense box can handle it. My modem can handle it. But ever since they got a new CMTS... yea . I don't know what it's doing, or why, but I know for sure it isn't our fault.

I have a ticket in right now with a level 2 tech. He is awaiting for the Kalispell office to fix something that will make his special monitoring tools work again... so he can be absolutely sure it's not something on my end. Apparently their engineers want everything tested to the T before they go and make any changes ..

If you want to contact him, that would be cool.. he knows all about my issue in very fine detail because I have provided tons of tests, scripts, etc.. that prove I am not at fault. His direct office number is: 406-869-6009. His name is Matthew, and he is in from 10am-10pm M-Th. He says I am the only one who has complained about the issue so far, so it would be nice to have others on my side . Real nice guy too.
nate2073
join:2007-09-05
Helena, MT

nate2073

Thanks for the info.