Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV

Cisco RNG100

Hello,

Due to intermittent loss of Guide issues, I returned our Explorer 3250 box and Comcast gave us a Cisco RNG100 box in exchange. Couple of questions....

1) Trying to find out what if anything I can do to cause the time and channel to be displayed ?

2) As many know, Explorer 3250's and similar boxes have diagnostic screens users can access, is there a feature in the Cisco RNG100's ?

3) Is there a document and\or pdf file available for the above mentioned Cisco box ?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Bubba

rng100dude

@comcast.com

1. I don't think the cisco RNG100 has an LED display, so no, there is not anything that can be done to display the time and channel on the front of the box.

2. I think this box uses the same basic guide as your old box (SARA), so that would make me think the diagnostics are the same too.

3.) Probably, however I don't know if it's available to the public. I'd suggest either trying Comcast's site or searching on Cisco's. I don't have the time to look for one right now.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV
reply to Bubba

Thanks.

Talked to Comcast before reading your response and you are indeed correct about time display. New is not always better and in this case We were spolied with the time dispaly of older box.

Still searching google for pdf or doc. It's a tough one to find.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

Try this link. There is a pdf for a a RNG110 near the bottom of the page. »www.comcast.com/corporate/custom···box.html
--
Who?...Me?

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
St. Andrews
reply to Bubba

Thanks spider but unless I overlooked it, the RNG's I saw were Pace RNG 110(which is not like mine) and Cisco RNG 150 which I downloaded the other day. It has HD and other similar features and will do for now.

Thanks again.

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Bubba

Why does Comcast have so many STB models in use? I guess because of all the systems they've acquired over the years?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

daadkins

@comcast.net
reply to Bubba

Here's a link to the installer's manual:

»www.cincinnatibell.com/shared_co···uide.pdf

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to heat84

said by heat84:

Why does Comcast have so many STB models in use? I guess because of all the systems they've acquired over the years?
Because they are not going to replace every STB when they introduce new ones - that would be insane and very costly!
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

metalinc

join:2009-11-04
Stafford, TX
reply to Bubba

Ok....the Cisco RNG boxes shoud have the following as a diagnostic gateway. Hold the pause button on the remote while the box is on for 30-45 seconds. When the power button starts to flash press page up. Ta-da....your there.

bobTeatow

join:2003-01-17
Bethel, CT

2 edits
reply to Bubba

Re: Cisco RNG100 - USB and Ethernet ports

Anyone find any cool use for the USB and/or Ethernet ports on this little box? Yes, we can imagine various -- but anything that is working today?

Background:

I too, just swapped out an older SciAtl box for the now Cisco branded RNG100 - which looks just like the 1540C (»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···2931.pdf) perhaps customized somewhat for Comcast.

It looks like a cost reduced model (no buttons, no display) - I am hoping it is less buggy than the predecessor SciAtl box that didn't seem quite up to the job of doing VOD. Old box would often fail during VOD operations. Any experiences there?
Perhaps unfortunately - it is still a SciAtl design - Cisco bought them out - don't know if the QA is any improved.

bobTeatow

Bethel, CT

Re: Cisco RNG100 still sucks like Sci-ATL

sucks but not quite as bad.
Main problems are S...L...O...W...
1. slow to boot (yeah we only do that once in a while)
2. V.O.D. functions are S...L...O...W... "please wait" and then wait some more...
3. V.O.D. functions fail occassionally ...
sometimes a simple off/on sequence from the remote is enough to get going again ... once in a while have to power plug out and back in for a cold reboot and then we're back albeit with problems 1 and 2

bobTeatow

Bethel, CT

Re: Cisco RNG100 diagnostics

The hold pause down a long while until flashing and then PAGE-UP tip works fine. May not be a spectrum analyzer but the signal level meetings will be a good guide as to how much loss you're getting as you insert splitters. Be sure to try on different channels - as signal strength varies ... Seems Comcast boosts the high end for me -- I'm at the end of a 1000 foot driveway - we have our own hard(big fat -same stuff they use in the streets) coax feed -- my lowest signals are at 573Mhz (channel 310/HBO-something) at -11db. I see a -9db at 741Mhz.
Early on we had an issue with a bad connector on the hard coax - the regular tech didn't carry the tools and parts to re-connectorize - he had to call in the lines-man. This is our "lifeline" for Internet and with VOIP it's real important to us.