superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA
reply to iansltx

Re: The Real Problem

said by iansltx:

So you're saying that if you had $30 per Mbit bandwidth you'd offer unlimited packages with no disallowed legal activities? Just asking.
As an ISP owner,I have no interest in defining "legal" activities. What one person considers moral, another may not. If I could offer a wide open internet, I would, and I do in 99% of my customers eyes. I MUST make $$ to stay in business, so unfortunately, P2P use stops that process from happening, so it gets blocked. It isn't that I am for OR against P2P applications and the content it provides. I am just against anything that kills my network and ruins the online experience for all of my normal users.

said by iansltx:

Or, put another way, if two people had local traffic on your network, would you care how much bandwidth it took?
Local traffic for most ISP's isn't an issue, as our networks can (In most cases) deliver a lot more bandwidth than our backbone to the internet provides

said by iansltx:

Or, put another way, would you allow for unlimited usage if you stated that the top 1% of users paid $X more per month than everyone else? Is the $X clearly stated and if so is it less than the customer could do on their own (by buying a T1)?
I will try answering your question like this:

In almost everything in life, there is always someone or something that dominates whatever subject it is related to. There is always a player who scores the most points, the most assists and just basically runs circles around everyone else on the playing field. Is this a good or bad thing?

There is always a person who takes advantage of every "free" situation they find themselves in. Perhaps you have been a victim of this person, as they were ahead of you in the buffet line at a wedding. The DJ announces that the caterer has run out of rolls, so please only take 1 per person, yet you watch this individual stuff 1 in each pocket and one on their plate. They just don't care about anyone else.

SUV's and large pickup trucks consume much more gasoline then a Honda Civic. That's OK though, as the person who is driving the SUV knew this when they bought it. They pay for this though, as they must buy a LOT more gas than the Civic owner. The example is that they are consuming a lot more fuel to do the same thing the Civic owner can do.

I could go on and on with examples of things in life that are fair and not so fair. In some cases, people choose their own demise and they pay for it. In other cases, people take things that are really not theirs and others pay for it. What it all boils down to is what is right?. It seems that answers for this question are hard to find?.

IMHO, if you consume it?, you should pay for it. I don't think that every person should pay all of the time. What I mean is this: I have customers who rarely use any bandwidth at all, and after watching their usage for a few months, I lower their costs to $10 a month, as their habits deserve a lower rate. I also have customers who, after being on my system, I see that their usage habits are above average, so I contact them and then raise their monthly rate slightly (From perhaps $22 a month to $27). I also have users who just CRUSH their connections. I simply call and discuss their situation, after which I then raise their rates accordingly. If they disagree with me on their habits?, I show them a graph of what they consumed for the month. If they still disagree, I simply lower their connection speed to make up the difference and keep things fair for all the others. (They agree to all of these things when signing up. I have them read the TOS right in front of me and then initial every page at the bottom. I do this on purpose so if they have any questions, they can be answered)

said by iansltx:

Don't disallow high usage. Just make it profitable, yet better than the competition that you'd have in that arena. If a user can get a $300 T1 you should be able to sell them 750GB worth of bandwidth on a 1.5+ Mbps connection for $250...
That's the idea behind my last paragraph above. Make $$ but be fair. My costs have been coming down in the last 3 years and I have been passing them on as best I can.
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Actually, what you're doing sounds absolutely fair. You're tailoring costs to consumption, lowering costs for some users (unheard of for the big guys) while raising costs for others. You're passing on lower bandwidth costs as time goes on as well. I have no quarrel with you.

Now if you were operating a wireline fiber network where bandwidth was 5% or less of your expenses per customer, I'd wonder why speed tiers wouldn't be enough to differentiate unmetered service, but you aren't. So everything sounds 100% legit.