spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DavidJackson4
join:2009-08-21
Magalia, CA

DavidJackson4

Satellite internet via big dish?

I have a big dish I used to use for C Band television. I have been told I can use the dish, but not the LNB, to get satellite internet downloads.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how would I go about acquiring a Ku Band LNB, which I am told I need?

Any help would be most appreciated.

David@toadtown.com

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Sorry, but you do need a KU band dish to receive the KU signal, the C band dish will not work.

rjr002
@baesystems.com

rjr002 to DavidJackson4

Anon

to DavidJackson4
In addition to the Ku band LNB you will need a
Combined C/Ku Feedhorn like the Chaparral Corotor II Plus.
And a new coaxial cable run from the Ku LNB to the receiver.
Skyvision or Sadoun carries these items.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to DavidJackson4

to DavidJackson4
Is it a mesh dish? or solid?

//greg//
DavidJackson4
Magalia, CA

DavidJackson4

Hi Greg;

The dish has a mesh but only the lead part of a pencil will go through the mesh.

One person did tell me that it will work with Ku Band if a whole pencil will not go through the mesh. I checked that out and the sharpened end lead part goes through the mesh but where the wood starts won't go through the mesh.

Regards;

David J.
DavidJackson4

DavidJackson4 to rjr002

to rjr002
Hello rjr, thanks for responding to my query.

Where would I get a Ku Band LNB and how would I install it?

What is a C/Ku Feedhorn? My dish has a part where the wires go which says "Chaparral" on it. That is the part which I think moves the dish. I don't know if it is a Corotor II Plus or not.

Why can't I use the existing cable? (It is buried and then goes under the house so if I could keep using it that would save some $$ and time digging.)

Regards;

David J.
DavidJackson4

DavidJackson4 to Pakapab

to Pakapab
Hello Pakapab;

Thanks for responding to my query.

What is the difference between a C band dish and a Ku Band dish?

Regards;

David J.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits

grohgreg to DavidJackson4

to DavidJackson4
said by DavidJackson4:

The dish has a mesh but only the lead part of a pencil will go through the mesh.
Well, that's an unusually fine mesh for C-band, but I still wouldn't be too optimistic. It's designed to reflect frequencies between about 3.4 and 6.0 GHz, which equates to wavelengths between 4cm and 10cm. Satellite Ku-band wavelength on the other hand, is much shorter: roughly between 2.1cm and 2.7cm. It's the Ku-band transmitter frequenty - up in the 14GHz range - that represents the Achilles heel in most BUD conversion projects.

And FYI, you cannot simply "download" internet content with a LNB. You need a transmitter to send the request for such downloads. LNBs are receive only devices. For satellite internet you need a TRIA (Transmit/Receive Integrated Assembly) which consists of a LNB, transmitter, waveguide, transmit reject filter (or OMT), and a feedhorn. A pretty "big" feedhorn as a matter of fact, otherwise you'll only end up using a small portion of the BUD.

Most BUD conversion attempts (to Ku-band satellite internet) end up either disappointing, or - more commonly - simply unfinished.

//greg//
DavidJackson4
Magalia, CA

DavidJackson4

Hi Grhogreg;

Well it sounds as though I will be getting in over my head pretty quickly.

I have no idea where to get the parts which you mention, nor do I have any idea what the cost of those parts might be.

If, by some miracle, I were able to procure all those parts and put the system together would it be one way only? (Down, of course.)

Regards;

David J.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by DavidJackson4:

If, by some miracle, I were able to procure all those parts and put the system together would it be one way only? (Down, of course.)
I guess you missed my point - there is no such thing as receive-only internet. You have to have a send side to request web pages, files, content, etc from internet servers. There is a type of satellite connection that's loosely termed "one-way", but that refers to the satellite receive portion. The send portion is via phone line, so technically it's still two-way. But the vast majority of satellite internet connections are bona fide two-way; satellite send/satellite receive.

Satellite internet providers subsidize the hardware costs, much like satellite TV providers. You'll almost certainly spend as much or more trying to make your BUD work, as you would simply buying a purpose-built satellite internet system.

//greg//

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab to DavidJackson4

Premium Member

to DavidJackson4
David, If you are interested in satellite internet and do not know very much about it, I suggest that you do a little research on this site and find what service would be best for you and simply purchase it from one of the satellite isp's. ie Hughesnet, Wildblue, or Starband, these are the major 2 way satellite internet providers; that is sending and receiving your internet via satellite. Or you could go something like skyway usa, which transmits its signals via your telephone line, but your downloads come in via satellite at a much faster speed than your phone line.
These services come with all their equipment, installation and installers are usually provided with the installation.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat

Premium Member

Pakapap I get the impression that he thinks he can some how download internet with out an account similar to the free tv stuff.

helpfulhermy
@spcsdns.net

helpfulhermy

Anon

The price of a proper dish and lnb is about $35.00 so why bother pending time and or money trying to convert an old C band dinosaur?

bbinabox
join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY

1 edit

bbinabox to DavidJackson4

to DavidJackson4
As Hermy says, with dish prices so low these days, its well worth your time getting a KU-band mini-dish and forgetting the C-band altogether.

Have a great day everybody.

Thomas-
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to DavidJackson4

Premium Member

to DavidJackson4
C band is alive and well in some parts of the world. I got an email add from these guys just yesterday.

And I could swear I saw two or three yesterday when I was on Ft Huachuca. There are a few little agencies their that kinda use this stuff.

»www.huachuca.army.mil/si ··· ndex.asp

»www.perlagrp.com/Telecom ··· nnas.htm
Expand your moderator at work