« iPhone MMSIt's Friday »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

Apple - King of Media

I cant believe its taken this long to do basic MMS. I hope for ATTs sake that this goes smooth. They are under enough scrutiny as it is.

Although, maybe I hope is fails, so Apple signs with Verizon....

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL
At&T came out the other day in the neutrality debate talking about bandwidth concerns and now they're enabling MMS?
-AT&T will soon be deluged with even more complaints about their networks. The fact that Apple is still with T speaks volumes about how Steve Jobs and crew feel about their devoted customers. But in stating that, I truly believe they deserve each other!

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to baineschile
How is Apple "King of Media" when it took them 3 years to enable the most basic multimedia feature on cell phones for over a decade? The Multimedia Message. Of course, leave it to Apple fankids to forget that, and only point the blame at ATT (which happily allows MMS for everyone else).
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

2 edits
said by tiger72:

How is Apple "King of Media" when it took them 3 years to enable the most basic multimedia feature on cell phones for over a decade? The Multimedia Message. Of course, leave it to Apple fankids to forget that, and only point the blame at ATT (which happily allows MMS for everyone else).
It's simple. It's not an apple issue. I had MMS on my 2g iphone, I have MMS on my 3g iphone. It has nothing to do with the phone, its ATT...thats why "apple fankids" point to ATT.

Are you really under the impression the iphone hasn't supported MMS because of Apple? Do you see Apple mentioned in this article? Is Apple the ones running the MMSC servers? Is apple also operating on the side as a MMS aggregator that no one but you is aware of?

You do realize MMS is set in the CARRIER profile right? Last I checked Apple was not the carrier anymore than Motorola is a carrier.

--
Forum Posts:7500

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

1 edit
reply to baineschile
I highly doubt Apple is willing to give up the kind of control Verizon wants. Verizon cripples more applications than AT&T.

If Apple was going to sign with any CDMA provider, it'd probably be Sprint, especially given the fact that they've really turned that company around over the last year or so. I have both Sprint and AT&T, and the customer service I receive from Sprint is leaps and bounds above AT&T. I had some signal issues when I got my Sprint phone, but they just put up a new tower down the street, and the network is zoooooooming fast (for wireless). If I could get Sprint's data speeds with AT&T's local call quality, that'd be the perfect wireless service.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:

said by tiger72:

It's simple. It's not an apple issue. I had MMS on my 2g iphone, I have MMS on my 3g iphone. It has nothing to do with the phone, its ATT...thats why "apple fankids" point to ATT.

Are you really under the impression the iphone hasn't supported MMS because of Apple? Do you see Apple mentioned in this article? Is Apple the ones running the MMSC servers? Is apple also operating on the side as a MMS aggregator that no one but you is aware of?

You do realize MMS is set in the CARRIER profile right? Last I checked Apple was not the carrier anymore than Motorola is a carrier.

How, praytell, did you send MMS when the software in the phone didn't exist?
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Time
@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

If anything I would expect them to go to T-Mobile and AT&T at the same time.

The only time I could ever see Apple going to verizon is when LTE is there primary network.

beaups

join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH
reply to Gbcue
the software has been there for ages, if you jailbreak. SwirlyMMS....

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by beaups:

the software has been there for ages, if you jailbreak. SwirlyMMS....
Qumahlin See Profile didn't mention that.
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
reply to dlewis23
The only problem is they would have to change the radio to make it work with T-Mobile HSDPA anyways. Still, I would rather see all phones including the iPhone on more networks than 1.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit
reply to tiger72
said by tiger72:

That was my dada/sarcastic point. The MMS feature was more of an ATT problem than apple.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to dlewis23
said by dlewis23:

@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

Remember, apple first came to VZ for the iphone before ATT. There had to be a CMDA iphone in production to even pitch it to the carriers....

Time
Premium
Irvine, CA
reply to dlewis23
said by dlewis23:

@ Time

If anything I would expect them to go to T-Mobile and AT&T at the same time.

The only time I could ever see Apple going to verizon is when LTE is there primary network.
Apple has been known to pull surprises out of their bag. A large base of this country are on CDMA, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple took advantage of that over the next couple of years. It may not be on the 3GS, but that new iPhone that's coming out next summer, I'm willing to bet will be on more than just AT&T. Having phones on multiple providers has worked well for RIM.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to baineschile
King of Media? I suppose all you do is go to the Apple Store every day to hang out with people like you?

Time
Premium
Irvine, CA
said by Metatron2008:

King of Media? I suppose all you do is go to the Apple Store every day to hang out with people like you?
iTunes is the largest music seller in the world. They manufacture some of the most successful portable devices that ALSO handle media.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Qumahlin
said by Qumahlin:

said by tiger72:

And friends on ATT had MMS on their nokias and motorolas and samsungs for years, and continue to have them. On ATT. Hrmm, so it seems like that's not ATT's "lack of support".
Ahh, yes the fankid comes out. The fact that ATT had to use a 3rd party solution for the iPhone (which is partially to blame for this mess) is apparently irrelevant. The first 2 years that the iPhone didn't support MMS was fine, but god forbid ATT have issues manually resetting people's iPhone-tagged accounts to direct messages back to the phones a few months after Apple (in their infinite wisdom) finally supports a standard that's been around for over a decade.
And last I checked, the carrier (ATT) supports MMS on every other device.

If ATT was so concerned about data issues from MMS (which your iphone fanboi blogs like to contend), they could simply do what most network operators do: restrict the content size. downrez photos to 640x480, and limit video to 30 seconds (only on the 3gs of course, the first 2 iphones apparently can't do that very basic multimedia feature either).

Is ATT partially at fault for all of this? Yes. Is Apple? YES.

Only you fankids think that Apple's infallible hands are clean of this mess.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara
Expand your moderator at work

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Time

Re: Apple - King of Media

Music seller? The slowly collapsing music industry now makes you a king of media?

And other devices that handle media? You mean the same way pcs handle media, or things like Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?

The only thing Apple is king of is overpricing things.

JessicaAlba

join:2009-09-23
reply to S_engineer
I hate AT&T.

I will have to keep using »interactiveiphone.com for MMS since it looks like AT&Ts servers are going to crash and burn!!

Seriously, what do you (AT&T) do with the $30 I send you every month???

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
said by JessicaAlba:

I hate AT&T.

I will have to keep using »interactiveiphone.com for MMS since it looks like AT&Ts servers are going to crash and burn!!

Bribes to politicians and executive pay

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
said by Metatron2008:

said by JessicaAlba:

I hate AT&T.

Bribes to politicians and executive pay
Host delightful shareholder parties!

With your money, of course
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

Time
Premium
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Music seller? The slowly collapsing music industry now makes you a king of media?

And other devices that handle media? You mean the same way pcs handle media, or things like Wii, Xbox 360, PS3?

Obviously I can't argue with ignorance.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 edit
said by Time:

said by Metatron2008:

Ignorance? You mean the same ignorance that got me a core i7 920, 6 gigs ram, and a asus p6t system with 2 1tb drives (1 internal, 1 external), at microcenter/newegg for less then $1,000 versus the $2,400 price for the same system on a Mac Pro?

Except the Mac Pro had worse ram and smaller hard drive.

If you count my entire system (Antec 900 case, $200 gtx 260), the amount comes to around $1600.

If that's ignorance, then what is not?

Time
Premium
Irvine, CA
said by Metatron2008:

said by Time:

said by Metatron2008:

Ignorance? You mean the same ignorance that got me a core i7 920, 6 gigs ram, and a asus p6t system with 2 1tb drives (1 internal, 1 external), at microcenter/newegg for less then $1,000 versus the $2,400 price for the same system on a Mac Pro?

Except the Mac Pro had worse ram and smaller hard drive.

If you count my entire system (Antec 900 case, $200 gtx 260), the amount comes to around $1600.

If that's ignorance, then what is not?
The Mac Pro doesn't use an i7, it uses the Nehalem Xeon which are close to $1000 alone.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
Whatever. Last I looked at a Mac Pro they used the i7 processors.

And the fact that the Mac Pro uses A Xeon that is EXACTLY THE SAME as my 1366 but has ECC or support for multiple cpus is not helping your point.

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL
reply to tiger72
said by tiger72:

said by Qumahlin:

said by tiger72:

And friends on ATT had MMS on their nokias and motorolas and samsungs for years, and continue to have them. On ATT. Hrmm, so it seems like that's not ATT's "lack of support".
Ahh, yes the fankid comes out. The fact that ATT had to use a 3rd party solution for the iPhone (which is partially to blame for this mess) is apparently irrelevant. The first 2 years that the iPhone didn't support MMS was fine, but god forbid ATT have issues manually resetting people's iPhone-tagged accounts to direct messages back to the phones a few months after Apple (in their infinite wisdom) finally supports a standard that's been around for over a decade.
And last I checked, the carrier (ATT) supports MMS on every other device.

If ATT was so concerned about data issues from MMS (which your iphone fanboi blogs like to contend), they could simply do what most network operators do: restrict the content size. downrez photos to 640x480, and limit video to 30 seconds (only on the 3gs of course, the first 2 iphones apparently can't do that very basic multimedia feature either).

Is ATT partially at fault for all of this? Yes. Is Apple? YES.

Only you fankids think that Apple's infallible hands are clean of this mess.
Exactly my point that I have been trying to get across for about a year now. When AT&T said that there will not be MMS/TXT support on the iPhone - Apple should have turned around and thrown a fit and alerted the customers and setup ways to complain to AT&T. Or even better, create their own text messaging service...if they can build an OS I am fairly certain they can build something as trivial as a text messaging service. But Apple did NOTHING and sat back and let the money roll in. I don't understand why people support them? I mean I would only support a company who in turn supports the customer. Also, Apple has basically labeled a good chunk of its user base as criminals. Now, that to me is a slap in the face if I ever saw one. But yet people keep buying Apple products *sigh*.

You could be thinking "well it's not the companies responsibility to lead a petition" - it damn well is. Look at Dish network when the main provider of programming wanted to raise the rates? Dish Network said FU to them and instead of raising the rates by $1 I believe it was only raised about half that after everything was said and done. »www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2···6,00.asp

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
said by k1ll3rdr4g0n:

Exactly my point that I have been trying to get across for about a year now. When AT&T said that there will not be MMS/TXT support on the iPhone - Apple should have turned around and thrown a fit and alerted the customers and setup ways to complain to AT&T. Or even better, create their own text messaging service...if they can build an OS I am fairly certain they can build something as trivial as a text messaging service. But Apple did NOTHING and sat back and let the money roll in. I don't understand why people support them? I mean I would only support a company who in turn supports the customer. Also, Apple has basically labeled a good chunk of its user base as criminals. Now, that to me is a slap in the face if I ever saw one. But yet people keep buying Apple products *sigh*.

You could be thinking "well it's not the companies responsibility to lead a petition" - it damn well is. Look at Dish network when the main provider of programming wanted to raise the rates? Dish Network said FU to them and instead of raising the rates by $1 I believe it was only raised about half that after everything was said and done. »www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2···6,00.asp
All you have to do is mention 'M$' to the idiots and they'll run to Apple like morons to a big van saying 'free candy'

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to tiger72
See, I'm a "fan" of "fanboi" or "fankind" pronounced fan-kint....
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to Metatron2008
HEY HEY HEY.

That's a van with no windows, driven by an unregistered sex offender with "free candy" on the side.

If you're gonna get it, get it right!
--
Petty people are disproportionably corrupted by petty power…

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to Time
said by Time:

If Apple was going to sign with any CDMA provider, it'd probably be Sprint, especially given the fact that they've really turned that company around over the last year or so. I have both Sprint and AT&T, and the customer service I receive from Sprint is leaps and bounds above AT&T. I had some signal issues when I got my Sprint phone, but they just put up a new tower down the street, and the network is zoooooooming fast (for wireless). If I could get Sprint's data speeds with AT&T's local call quality, that'd be the perfect wireless service.
Cold day in hell will Apple go on a non-800 mhz carrier. 1/3rd of its fanbase would be gone by their address not qualifying for service, the other 1/3rd would quickly leave and curse Tmobile/Sprint/Apple forever.