Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to ThirdShifter

Re: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid!

said by ThirdShifter:

said by Maggs:

Be prepared for the onslaught of MMS messages, AT&Ts network is going to take a serious dive when this functionality comes out. All the prepubescent girls out there will be texting like crazy. Imagine the data traffic on over 3 million iPhones per day, and the data overages $$$$ AT&T is going to be making so much money this quarter. I will not touch the iPhone as long as it's on AT&T, I don't want to deal with their billing dept.
Ahh it's the end of the world.. run!

ATT is just fine. The iphone is awesome. Sorry you're missing out, we all know deep down inside you want one.
I have one and I want to give it back. Not because I dislike the iPhone, but because I am at my wits end with the horrible AT&T service. If you think the AT&T network is fine, you've got blinders on. Here is yet another article posted yesterday, this time from CNET, detailing the AT&T network problems. It's odd her problems are a mirror of mine, even though she is on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast.

Yesterday I had 2 dropped calls and I just spoke to a friend for about 30 minutes and 3 or 4 times he said he couldn't hear me because of all the static -- yet I have full bars.

ThirdShifter
Premium
join:2002-03-16
Bronx, NY
kudos:1
said by Matt3:

said by ThirdShifter:

said by Maggs:

Be prepared for the onslaught of MMS messages, AT&Ts network is going to take a serious dive when this functionality comes out. All the prepubescent girls out there will be texting like crazy. Imagine the data traffic on over 3 million iPhones per day, and the data overages $$$$ AT&T is going to be making so much money this quarter. I will not touch the iPhone as long as it's on AT&T, I don't want to deal with their billing dept.

ATT is just fine. The iphone is awesome. Sorry you're missing out, we all know deep down inside you want one.
I have one and I want to give it back. Not because I dislike the iPhone, but because I am at my wits end with the horrible AT&T service. If you think the AT&T network is fine, you've got blinders on. Here is yet another article posted yesterday, this time from CNET, detailing the AT&T network problems. It's odd her problems are a mirror of mine, even though she is on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast.

Yesterday I had 2 dropped calls and I just spoke to a friend for about 30 minutes and 3 or 4 times he said he couldn't hear me because of all the static -- yet I have full bars.
That happens on every phone on every network and surprisingly not to me.. and like you, I too live on the east coast with another houndred thousand iphone users who are completely satisfied with the service.

Could it be better? sure! there's always room for improvement. However this is the first time a phone/carrier is so exclusive that we can see a huge group of phone users using same hardwares and service. So when we see another provider and hardware combo on this scale.. then we can make a comparison.

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Matt3
I can tell you the AT&T network is FINE here in Kansas City, I talk for hours and don't get drop calls. To top it off, the person I was talking to and I only get ~1-2 bars of EDGE. Even while im at work, i've had a 5 hour phone call w/o it dropping. Internet speeds are also fine.

From the day I got my iPhone, the network has been getting even better. My town just got 3G about 9 months ago and the signal has been slowing been creeping to my house.

The only time i've had problems with AT&T's network is at large events. I was at a 50,000 person rock concert and I couldn't even connect to AT&T to make calls or text. But that is to be expected when there is that many people in a small area.
--
»twitter.com/powerspec | »netisinc.com | »speedtest.kcmogaming.net
Home Internet: Sprint Mobile Broadband, DSL line: AT&T 6/768
Server: 100Mbps with Cogent/Level3, Work: 550Mbps Total with AT&T and EverestKC/Surewest

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Matt3
said by Matt3:

If you think the AT&T network is fine, you've got blinders on.
not really. att works plenty well in phoenix (maybe you should relocate? ).
cell phone companies are very regional in their coverage. some is good, some isn't. att works well in the phoenix-metro area, even on the asu campus where i would be willing to venture that nearly 1 in 5 people has an iphone (with a student population of over 60k people, do the math).
maybe phoenix doesn't have the spectrum polution of other metro areas that have been around longer. maybe they've deployed more spectrum here the first time.
whatever the reason, i'm happy with att and my iphone.

as always, ymmv.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Cod

join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC
reply to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by ThirdShifter:

said by Maggs:

Matt- You are in the very small minority in the Triad area. I know at least 10 people from Winston to Greensboro who love their iPhones and have no issues at all, including me. I constantly get between 1-2mb throughout the Triad area on 3g. I know its hip & cool to hate on AT&T but I do question every time you post how horrible AT&T is... I don't see it in WS/HP/Greensboro.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

3 edits
said by Cod:

Matt- You are in the very small minority in the Triad area. I know at least 10 people from Winston to Greensboro who love their iPhones and have no issues at all, including me. I constantly get between 1-2mb throughout the Triad area on 3g. I know its hip & cool to hate on AT&T but I do question every time you post how horrible AT&T is... I don't see it in WS/HP/Greensboro.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I know 4 people in various parts of Greensboro who have AT&T service and are very unhappy. I frequently travel from Burlington to Winston and I question your 1-2Mbps claim. I stream Slacker radio and XM Radio and I constantly experience data timeouts and connection failures.

And if it is somehow cool or hip to hate on AT&T, I could care less. I just want a phone that works reliably. I think most people who are happy are light users or just don't want to admit there is a flaw with their precious iPhone. When I really started using my phone a lot more often, I noticed that it just isn't reliable. If you go look at any of the recent nationwide carrier tests, the same problems always crop with, especially with network reliability.

And it's not the iPhone as I initially suspected, because I have an LG phone that experiences the same issues. I'm sitting here with "No Service" as we speak, but 5 minutes ago, I had full bars.

(EDIT)

I'll add, if you look back to my previous posts when I first got my iPhone, I didn't have trouble with service or the iPhone, aside from a lot of dropped calls. The service has degraded to the point I would consider unacceptable. It happened slowly, but now I have problems more often than not, no matter where I travel.

»www.pcworld.com/article/167391/a···_3g.html

said by PC World :
The AT&T network's 13-city average download speed in our tests was 812 kbps. Its average upload speed was 660 kbps. Reliability was an issue in our experience of the AT&T system: Our testers were able to make a connection at a reasonable, uninterrupted speed in only 68 percent of their tests.

beaups

join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH
I would try swapping your sim card. Our CEO had this problem with 2 iphones and the rest of us never had any problems (was quite convenient! ) and after switching phones twice with no help a sim swap at the ATT store cured it. No more dropped calls.