« iPhone MMSIt's Friday »
This is a sub-selection from Apple - King of Media

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA

1 edit

Re: Apple - King of Media

I highly doubt Apple is willing to give up the kind of control Verizon wants. Verizon cripples more applications than AT&T.

If Apple was going to sign with any CDMA provider, it'd probably be Sprint, especially given the fact that they've really turned that company around over the last year or so. I have both Sprint and AT&T, and the customer service I receive from Sprint is leaps and bounds above AT&T. I had some signal issues when I got my Sprint phone, but they just put up a new tower down the street, and the network is zoooooooming fast (for wireless). If I could get Sprint's data speeds with AT&T's local call quality, that'd be the perfect wireless service.
dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

If anything I would expect them to go to T-Mobile and AT&T at the same time.

The only time I could ever see Apple going to verizon is when LTE is there primary network.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

The only problem is they would have to change the radio to make it work with T-Mobile HSDPA anyways. Still, I would rather see all phones including the iPhone on more networks than 1.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
said by dlewis23:

@ Time

Apple wont sign up with a CDMA provider, It doesn't make since for them to have to remake a device for 1 market.

Remember, apple first came to VZ for the iphone before ATT. There had to be a CMDA iphone in production to even pitch it to the carriers....

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA
said by dlewis23:

@ Time

The only time I could ever see Apple going to verizon is when LTE is there primary network.
Apple has been known to pull surprises out of their bag. A large base of this country are on CDMA, so I wouldn't be surprised if Apple took advantage of that over the next couple of years. It may not be on the 3GS, but that new iPhone that's coming out next summer, I'm willing to bet will be on more than just AT&T. Having phones on multiple providers has worked well for RIM.
fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
said by dlewis23:

@ Time

Ummmmm.. you really don't know this one bit for certain.

Changing a radio inside and a few small programming items is not hardly any major feat for apple to do.. as it was already said, too, it was originally designed for CDMA..

RIM has the Blackberry which is designed for EVERY carrier on the globe now... (not to mention MANY models as well)... It has the Curve for ATT, Sprint, Verizon, and even Nextel now... it has a faster growth rate and more market share than the iPhone (which I love, for the record).. it's clearly not difficult to engineer a phone for another carrier's technology..

So, tell me this, if you know so well, what makes the iPhone any different, or more special, or more difficult of a phone to cross platform than any other ol' cell phone made... huh?

You guys really need to stop with the talking points, or at least stop listening to each other as sources around here becuase so many people are so wrong so much of the time.

One more fact, and this is fact... apple does NOT exactly run around telling everyone their business but USUALLY does about the time of launch.. apple has been WELL known to keep a tight lip on many of the upcoming products the offer.
patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
said by Time:

If Apple was going to sign with any CDMA provider, it'd probably be Sprint, especially given the fact that they've really turned that company around over the last year or so. I have both Sprint and AT&T, and the customer service I receive from Sprint is leaps and bounds above AT&T. I had some signal issues when I got my Sprint phone, but they just put up a new tower down the street, and the network is zoooooooming fast (for wireless). If I could get Sprint's data speeds with AT&T's local call quality, that'd be the perfect wireless service.
Cold day in hell will Apple go on a non-800 mhz carrier. 1/3rd of its fanbase would be gone by their address not qualifying for service, the other 1/3rd would quickly leave and curse Tmobile/Sprint/Apple forever.