obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

verizon would be the same

If carriers were reversed, verizon would be having the same problem. they're both about the same size, and if verizon had the iphone and number of iphone users that att, verizon would be suffering from some data/voice issues. i'm happily on att and with cingular before that and have no problems. i think apple has enough faith in att to iron out the wrinkles and that they want to stick with a worldwide gsm carrier than to go to verizon cdma.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by obeythelaw:

If carriers were reversed, verizon would be having the same problem.
That is simply speculation. Not that i am for or against any carrier over the other, but look at over seas carriers who have the iPhone and MMS already...they have no issues...but then again that is because there networks have been heavily upgraded and scaled with usage. Verizons network is larger from the coverage maps I have seen.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
true. however, i think part of it is that they have upgraded their networks and there are less users out there on those foreign carriers. att is so large that they are the largest mobile phone user base in the world when it comes to the iphone.

GameRadio

join:2008-04-12
Mesa, AZ
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

said by obeythelaw:

If carriers were reversed, verizon would be having the same problem.
That is simply speculation. Not that i am for or against any carrier over the other, but look at over seas carriers who have the iPhone and MMS already...they have no issues...but then again that is because there networks have been heavily upgraded and scaled with usage. Verizons network is larger from the coverage maps I have seen.
Ya but at least for me in the Phoenix Metro area. While Verizon has a large coverage area. For data it doesn't mean squat. When I am using data I need a fast connection not a large slower connection.

I left Verizon for the iPhone while others complain about ATT service I have had no issues. Full bars with excellent service at work. And all but one bar plus excellent service at home (when Im not on my wifi)

I had the official file on my iphone for awhile while MMS wasn't working it is now working as it seems that ATT has removed the block off my account for MMS.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA
reply to swintec
While it is speculation, those in countries overseas have dedicated spectrum JUST for 3G, while in the Americas, spectrum has to be reallocated (i.e. taken from 2G capacity into 3G).

Verizon Wireless may have a larger physical network, but the key is spectrum and buildout. Some areas do not have a whole lot of spectrum (eg SoCal has 45MHz), some don't even have enough for 3g (Santa Fe has 20MHz), and some areas have tons (East Florida has 50MHz of cellular + ~20 MHz of PCS).

VZW does have an advantage having EVDO channels which are 1/4 that of UMTS/HSPA channels, and can be 'balanced' a bit better, as voice and data do not run on the same (1x = voice, EVDO = data), while on AT&T, GSM/GPRS =voice/data, UMTS/HDPA = voice/data.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

true. however, i think part of it is that they have upgraded their networks and there are less users out there on those foreign carriers. att is so large that they are the largest mobile phone user base in the world when it comes to the iphone.
But in the end, does it even matter what phone it is?

China Mobile has 500 million subscribers, yes, 500 million, more than the entire population of the United States. You never hear about them, but they're about to launch the iPhone.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo···perators
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to obeythelaw
CDMA is actually ore spectrally efficient than even HSPA 7.2 and Verizon tends to have a decent amount of spectrum to play with. More to this, they don't have to have two incompatible networks running at once (GSM and 3G) so excess capacity for data is thus increased.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to en102
Almost correct. Last I checked though GSM/GPRS/EDGE don't do simultaneous voice/data on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by iansltx:

Almost correct. Last I checked though GSM/GPRS/EDGE don't do simultaneous voice/data on AT&T or T-Mobile.
It does, actually.

I've been on the phone and Google Maps before.
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads

iansltx

Austin, TX
Weird. Must be WiFi or a non-iPhone...

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Not WiFi, and not an iPhone.

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA
reply to iansltx
True - but it consumes the same spectrum.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

en102
Canadian, eh?

Valencia, CA
reply to Gbcue
I've never seen voice + data at the same time on GPRS/EDGE. I don't count SMS as 'data', as just about all carriers can receive sms during calls.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

detfan
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Livonia, MI
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

Not sure what you use, but on my Bold I can talk, text, Email, anything at the same time..I love that.

Gbcue
Premium
Santa Rosa, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by detfan:

said by Gbcue:

Not sure what you use, but on my Bold I can talk, text, Email, anything at the same time..I love that.
I already said I can do that. What is wrong with your reading comprehension today?
--
My BLOG!
Black Friday Ads