All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PhxGuy80
@cox.net

PhxGuy80

Anon

Qwest in Phx - are the IP's static or Dynamic?

Do to cookie issues and web development I need to be able to change my ip address often. Is this possible with qwest in phx? Currently have cox and that of course is static. Can I login to the router and simply click "refresh" and get a new ip?

Also what is the difference between ADSL and VDSL?

Thanks.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Dynamic. How dynamic I do not know.
TheMayor
join:2002-05-09

TheMayor to PhxGuy80

to PhxGuy80
You can try to press the fresh on the router to get a new IP, but in the times that I tried doing that, it gave me the same address. However shutting off the modem for a few minutes & back on usually gives a new address.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to PhxGuy80

Premium Member

to PhxGuy80
Dynamic, though static IP is available if desired. It's pretty common to keep the same IP for an extended period unless something like a re-authentication occurs. Not sure what the IP lease time is.

The difference between ADSL and VDSL is just different DSL protocols between the DSLAM. Different frequency bands are used for upstream and downstream allocation. In practice, Qwest VDSL2 is FTTN, where ADSL or ADSL2+ may or may not be.

From a customer perspective the difference is going to be largely transparent aside from the speeds offered and the type of modem used.
mrhuggles
join:2007-03-29
Ames, IA

mrhuggles to PhxGuy80

to PhxGuy80
whatever you have PPPOE on, reconnect with PPPOE and youll get a new IP

PhxGuy80
@cox.net

PhxGuy80

Anon

This is exactly what I was looking for. I think you understood exactly what I was asking. Thanks!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to PhxGuy80

MVM

to PhxGuy80
said by PhxGuy80 :

Do to cookie issues and web development I need to be able to change my ip address often. Is this possible with qwest in phx? Currently have cox and that of course is static.
I doubt it. Most U.S. ISPs offer dynamic IP addresses, unless you are paying for static. However, cable systems are often "sticky" in their assignment of dynamic IP addresses. If you need to force a change frequently, it is rather inconvenient on cable systems, but it can be done.
Can I login to the router and simply click "refresh" and get a new ip?
Typically, forcing a change in the PPPoE session will result in an IP address change. Works for me (usually) on AT&T DSL, anyway.
Also what is the difference between ADSL and VDSL?
VDSL generally offers higher connection speeds, as does ADSL2+, when compared with ADSL. VDSL is also capable of IPTV, though I don't think Qwest offers IPTV service any longer.