uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbinabox

join:2009-02-27
Louisville, KY
kudos:1
reply to bbinabox

Re: One-Way vs Two-way Satellite Systems

birdman said: "It is burned into my memory that you actually suggested one-way as a viable solution for mobile first responders to disasters! "

With the Hybrid Edge modem it is extremely viable for middle mile locales especially for quickly re-establishing communications after a disaster. Having a GSM connection in 2G/3G areas only gives you upwards to 200K total bandwidth which isn't much for a network -BUT- adding 1.5 MB+ on the download and sharing the 200K for uploads makes complete sense. Companies with big budgets are starting to purchase motorized VSAT earth stations which will bring up communications quickly after disasters -BUT- mobile 2-Way systems can take up to 3 days for the certified techs to arrive for those who can't afford to purchase them, due to demand. Not a good thing for folks and businesses getting over a disaster!!

Hybrid Edge/Satellite modems are perfect for anyone, from first responders, to municipal offices, schools, businesses, etc. to quickly and affordably get their networks up and running within the hour, literally for about 1/10th the cost of a motorized VSAT earth station.

Anyway, you either smugly misread what I wrote or are totally misquoting me here, once again. But that's OK, the way you have been mirroring GG's antics around here these days, I start to get your all's tactics VERY confused.

The only thing I would disagree with your line-up there is the term "consumer 2-Way" and its placement on the list itself. It has no reason to be there. If they performed "as advertised" sure there would be millions of Last Mile homes with connections. Alas, it does not live up to their advertising so you get communities of disgruntled current and former customers.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

2 edits

said by bbinabox:

With the Hybrid Edge modem it is extremely viable for middle mile locales especially for quickly re-establishing communications after a disaster.
The history of significant disasters shows that anything that depends on cell towers or phone lines working will be problematical after a disaster. While it is entirely possible or even likely that there will be those that purchase one-way out of price considerations, if they ever really do get a major disaster they will regret it. Even single-satellite solutions are worrisome because they depend on communications remaining reliable at the NOC, and one has to hope the NOC is not also involved in the disaster. Since the technology for iDirect now supports satellite changing by the end-user I think you will find more and more 2-way providers offering such solutions, as mine does and I'm currently using.

The only thing I would disagree with your line-up there is the term "consumer 2-Way" and its placement on the list itself. It has no reason to be there. If they performed "as advertised" sure there would be millions of Last Mile homes with connections. Alas, it does not live up to their advertising so you get communities of disgruntled current and former customers.
Disgruntled customers do not define a service. If that were the basis, then every phone, wireless, and cable company would have to be lumped in there as well. Telecommunications providers are services that their customers love to hate.

You simply lack exposure to 2-way consumer customers other than the ones who post here, and here you give weight only to those with problems, not those who are receiving advertised service.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Sprint Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

4 edits
reply to bbinabox

said by bbinabox:

Hybrid Edge/Satellite modems are perfect for anyone, from first responders, to municipal offices, schools, businesses, etc. to quickly and affordably get their networks up and running within the hour, literally for about 1/10th the cost of a motorized VSAT earth station.
Dead wrong. And don't think for a second you're gonna get by sneaking that "motorized" proviso under our noses. Anybody with a lick of sense can set up a 2-way tripod for a helluva lot less than 10x your Hybrid Edge price. And your modem may be capable of up to 200k, but I challenge you to ID more than a handful of cells that will actually support it during times of extreme need.

I must once again remind you (at least the 4th time now) of this year's western Kentucky ice storm disaster. ALL phone service - wired AND cell - was down hard until a generator brought up the DCO about Day 3. But that only restored local exchange landline calls. There was no long distance at all (which in many cases can be as close as a across the road), and no cell signals at all. Nobody could get to the cell towers with generators until about Day 6, but it didn't matter - all the long lines that connected them to the phone grid were on the ground anyway. GSM/EDGE/2G/3G was absolutely useless at least Day 9 of the disaster recovery

Disaster assistance workers and coordinators were using 2-way UHF handhelds and base stations almost exclusively. There was VHF, but not much of it. If they had any 2-way satellite, I missed it. But friends and neighbors who knew I had 2-way took advantage of it. I was up on my own generators during the whole disaster, and opened my doors to anybody that needed to get on the internet to email relatives or order emergency supplies.

You haven't described one single 1-way system that could have been of any use whatsoever during that particular disaster relief effort.

//greg//
--
HN7000S/98cm Prodelin/2w Osiris/ProPlus - G16/1250H/Germantown - NAT 66.82.187.152/Gateway 66.82.25.10/DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2009

Excellent post. Finally BB in a box has nothing to say.