how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nutsackninja

join:2006-10-26
Stoney Creek, ON

Cogeco SMTP smart hosts all black listed. Need HELP

I run a 50 person company, we run an exchange server and route our email through smtp.cogeco.ca, during the last two days we have been getting a high number of DNR's
It looks like smtp2.cogeco.ca is black listed on spamcop.
This really sucks since cogeco doesn't allow us to have custom ptrs, we are FORCED to use the cogeco mail servers. so about 1/3 emails get bounced back. This has been causing us a huge headache.

I had to switch over our mail server to directly send emails (not an ideal solution) but we are unable to send emails to hotmail accounts and a few other accounts because of the reverse dns issue.

is there anything I can do because this is driving me nuts because I am not confident in my emails being sent out.
Thanks
Paul

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

said by nutsackninja:

I had to switch over our mail server to directly send emails (not an ideal solution) but we are unable to send emails to hotmail accounts and a few other accounts because of the reverse dns issue.
Get your reverse DNS issue fixed; gotta get your destiny in your own hands.

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Microsoft Security MVP | Orange County, California USA | my web site

nutsackninja

Stoney Creek, ON

I wish I could get our reverse DNS issue fixed, but Cogeco does not let us modify our reverse DNS at all so there is nothing I can do about this, that would be upto Cogeco.
Maybe after this they will allow us to change our reverse DNS entries because this is a super annoying issue.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

Is this business service? Are you saying that Cogeco won't plant a PTR record for you?

ancodia

join:2006-07-10

1 edit
reply to nutsackninja

if its that mission critical you can buy an external smtp service to use for less than $10 month.

Alternatively you should check out the Microsoft hosted services. For a couple bucks per month, per user you can have full spam filtering, webmail, virus scanning and inbound/outbound smtp. We use it & it's great.

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to nutsackninja

said by nutsackninja:

Maybe after this they will allow us to change our reverse DNS entries because this is a super annoying issue.
Talk to your support rep. While this isn't something we used to do, I configure PTRs all the time.

edit: In other news, 216.221.81.29 is no longer in use pending removal, so you can continue to relay through us.
--
Some people think I'm an idiot. I disagree, but idiocy is subjective--so they may well be right. With this in mind, take everything I post with a grain of salt, eh?

Krispy1
Premium
join:2001-12-11
the stix
kudos:1
reply to nutsackninja

said by nutsackninja:

Should be resolved shortly but as nevertheless stated we've just temporarily stopped routing mail through there to minimize impact.

said by nutsackninja:

This really sucks since cogeco doesn't allow us to have custom ptrs, we are FORCED to use the cogeco mail servers.
Apparently this will be something we'll be offering soon'ish, I don't have any ETR but it's coming.
--
you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make him drink...you can put a man through school but you cannot make him think --ben harper

nutsackninja

Stoney Creek, ON
reply to ancodia

said by ancodia:

if its that mission critical you can buy an external smtp service to use for less than $10 month.

Alternatively you should check out the Microsoft hosted services. For a couple bucks per month, per user you can have full spam filtering, webmail, virus scanning and inbound/outbound smtp. We use it & it's great.
Could you get me a link? $10 a month would be well worth it to avoid this mess ever again.
Thanks
Paul

nutsackninja

Stoney Creek, ON
reply to Krispy1

said by Krispy1:

said by nutsackninja:

Should be resolved shortly but as nevertheless stated we've just temporarily stopped routing mail through there to minimize impact.

said by nutsackninja:

This really sucks since cogeco doesn't allow us to have custom ptrs, we are FORCED to use the cogeco mail servers.
Apparently this will be something we'll be offering soon'ish, I don't have any ETR but it's coming.
Looks like smtp3.cogeco.ca is now blocked by spam cop now.

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4

said by nutsackninja:

Heh. Whack-a-mole. :P

Krispy1
Premium
join:2001-12-11
the stix
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to nutsackninja

said by nutsackninja:

Yup, it's been a fun day and an awesome week

It's a high priority issue, we're working on it and I'm not making excuses or trying to pass the buck but for inquiring minds who want to know the fundamental issue is compromised customers so do me a favor and tell your non techy friends to do a free online security scan like »www.cogeco.com/ontario/OLS4.0/en/start.html when they're bored!!

PS - We recently upgraded the online scanner to new version that now supports Firefox
--
you can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make him drink...you can put a man through school but you cannot make him think --ben harper

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

1 edit

Problem still continues.

My emails are being rejected.

Example:

The following message to was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 553-'5.3.0 Spam blocked see: »spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.221.81.29'

This worked for a short while yesterday but today messages are being blocked again

Only work around I have found, is to use Gmail.

LauraW

join:2009-09-24

well g-mail works but has its own issues, if you want smtp access to send email from your existing email addresse(s) i highly recommend this smtp service smtp://www.smtp.com -- it's has saved me a lot headaches. you can even track your emails to make sure they were delivered.

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Isn't that the sort of service that is causing the problems? Mass mailings etc.?