share rss forum feed

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: You got some right, some wrong

But it looks like Genachowski and the FCC plan on forcing net neutrality on wireless as well. Though thy do say MAYBE some adjustments would be needed for wireless.
Keep watching. I would guarantee by the time the rules get finished, they're pretty weak and only guard against the very worst sort of offenses.

Right now really, the only goal is to ensure the FCC has legal authority with those principles.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

said by Karl Bode:

I would guarantee by the time the rules get finished, they're pretty weak and only guard against the very worst sort of offenses.
Which is probably as it should be.

I actually like the 2005 Internet Policy Statement plus these two new rules plus applying them to all modes of Internet Access. But they should stay high level which balances real needs with the flexibility to keep up with something that moves as fast as the net.

This allow allows for compromises and experimenting. Satellite will have high latency, so the Reasonable Network Management practices needed there will be different than FTTH.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- District of Columbia -- KJ7RL
Test your Broadband connection today! -- »measurementlab.net/

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39

Yeah I need to see the process and the final product. AT&T's pretty chipper about supporting them in e-mail PR exchanges to me, which is usually a warning sign that they might not mean squat.

But I guess if the FCC simply gets empowered it's a foundation to build on.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by Karl Bode:

I guess if the FCC simply gets empowered it's a foundation to build on.
Even if it gets watered down it still sets the precedent that ISPs have and obligation provide a common good. The on-ramp to the Internet is too important to be left totally in the hands of private companies.

/tom