how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noservice5

join:2009-09-25
Lancaster, KY

[Availability] DSL in rural areas

I can't understand why ATT refuses to offer DSL services to all rural areas. I am only about 10 miles at most from town and from DSL service. I have been with ATT for years yet they refuse to offer DSL in my area. Their wireless won't work even though I have a cell tower within site of my home. The other offer is Hughes Net which may be great but is extremely expensive. I feel we are being cheated. We pay much more for phone service than homes only a few miles away yet we get absolutely No benefits.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits
As I understand it, DSL speed falls to Zero by 18,000 feet, (as the wires run, not a straight line)

You can use this page to find where your nearest CO is.

»/comap

If it is more than 3 miles, you are out of luck for DSL. (as I read it, the nearest AT&T CO with DSL is in Kirkville, Lancaster is served by Verizon, not AT&T)

»www.chpl.net/access/firecracker/ is 'near' you, according to this:»www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/KY.html
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to noservice5
said by noservice5:

I can't understand why ATT refuses to offer DSL services to all rural areas. I am only about 10 miles at most from town and from DSL service. I have been with ATT for years yet they refuse to offer DSL in my area.
Allow me to play the part of the devil's advocate.

Let us say AT&T were to lay fiber to your front lawn and setup a DSLAM equipped RT. How many potential customers are there within a two mile radius? How many of those customers do you think would want and order DSL service? If you think that there are enough customers actually wanting DSL service, go door to door and ask them to try sign up for AT&T DSL service, and to request to be put on a waiting/notification list. AT&T is not going to install the infrastructure unless there is a good probability that they will get a reasonable return on investment. Making AT&T aware that there are enough customers waiting for service is a proactive step you can take.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
said by NetFixer:

said by noservice5:

I can't understand why ATT refuses to offer DSL services to all rural areas. I am only about 10 miles at most from town and from DSL service. I have been with ATT for years yet they refuse to offer DSL in my area.
Allow me to play the part of the devil's advocate.

Let us say AT&T were to lay fiber to your front lawn and setup a DSLAM equipped RT. How many potential customers are there within a two mile radius? How many of those customers do you think would want and order DSL service? If you think that there are enough customers actually wanting DSL service, go door to door and ask them to try sign up for AT&T DSL service, and to request to be put on a waiting/notification list. AT&T is not going to install the infrastructure unless there is a good probability that they will get a reasonable return on investment. Making AT&T aware that there are enough customers waiting for service is a proactive step you can take.
Um, i'm counting 120 people services from my RT that from what i've been told by techs, they'd just need to install a DSLAM to setup our area and maybe condition some lines.. Do we have it? NO! NO, we do not!

It doesn't always run down to amount of people within the distance...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by decifal:

Um, i'm counting 120 people services from my RT...

It doesn't always run down to amount of people within the distance...
No, the number of people that would actually be expected to subscribe to the service is what would count. There may be 120 people serviced from your RT, but how many of them are actually reasonable candidates for DSL service?
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

decifal

Bon Aqua, TN
I may need to do a petition, but i've talked to about 50ish house's.. Cannot remember the exact number and they were all interested in it.. And some even have wildblue or hughes net and hate it.. They would swap in a heartbeat! I've asked them to put their names in the website to be notified when/if things were to be developed.. But as you see by my comments, nothing has as of yet... I donno if I need to enter them personally on a weekily basis (( phycotic I know,but I really want the service ) Or maybe even find an address to write to plead our case....

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
On the positive side, unlike the OP, your town is served by AT&T. And the nearest CO actually has DSL capability.

»www.state.tn.us/tra/ is your choice if AT&T is not being helpful.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by jimbopalmer:

»www.state.tn.us/tra/ is your choice if AT&T is not being helpful.
First, DSL is not a regulated service, so contacting the TRA would accomplish nothing.

Second, the TRA is about as toothless a tiger as any regulated service provider could hope to have overseeing their operations anyway.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson

katylied

join:2003-10-15
Hot Springs National Park, AR
reply to noservice5
NetFixer's ideas and explanations here are right on.
Get your group organized and together.
Anyone paying good money for crappy satellite or dialup should gleefully sign on to the group.
The only thing I would add to what NetFixer suggested is the group should become well known to your state and national representatives and senators.
Congressmen bringing up your group name to ATT or Verizon can help.
Beyond their set plans to provide service where they can make the most money, squeaky wheels will get dsl before the quiet ones.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to noservice5
said by noservice5:

I can't understand why ATT refuses to offer DSL services to all rural areas. I am only about 10 miles at most from town and from DSL service. I have been with ATT for years yet they refuse to offer DSL in my area. Their wireless won't work even though I have a cell tower within site of my home. The other offer is Hughes Net which may be great but is extremely expensive. I feel we are being cheated. We pay much more for phone service than homes only a few miles away yet we get absolutely No benefits.
What monthly rate are you willing to pay for said service?
--
GUN CONTROL:
using both hands

SpottedCat

join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL
reply to NetFixer
>First, DSL is not a regulated service,

This is something that should change, in my opinion.

Internet service has become almost essential, and within another ten years, will be as crucial as phone service.

Right now, no matter where you are, the telco has to run a phone line out to you. It is paid for by the universal service charge.

I would gladly pay a little higher charge if Internet services were added to the requirement.

Gflash

@bellsouth.net
Netfixer has explained the situation very well.Dsl should be a regulated service delivered at the lowest cost-available to all.. At&t should have full responsibility for it - and no "competitors" taking a regulatory free ride on the equipment they build. But of course that would be a MONOPOLY. Until that time let Chaos and the free market reign supreme. Netfixer thanks again... D says "HELLo" ...

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by Gflash :

Netfixer has explained the situation very well.Dsl should be a regulated service delivered at the lowest cost-available to all.. At&t should have full responsibility for it - and no "competitors" taking a regulatory free ride on the equipment they build. But of course that would be a MONOPOLY. Until that time let Chaos and the free market reign supreme. Netfixer thanks again... D says "HELLo" ...
Actually the "competitors" are leasing AT&T copper lines and/or space in an AT&T DSLAM (unless they have their own DSLAM, and in that case they are renting space in the CO, and are still paying for the line use). This would in effect make them AT&T "customers". A similar situation exists for T-1 circuits where AT&T as the ILEC is paid for supplying their part of the overall circuit. And yes, the free market should indeed reign supreme.

For some of us, life continued after January 1, 1984
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson

Gflash

@bellsouth.net
Fine with me.No company should be forced to assume complete responsibly for a service, risk their capital to build the plant -then share the plant with other competing companies that pay rates lower than break even par as set by the government. In lineshare setups the data clec pays nothing .Co rents are a joke. At&t is called to answer for data problems not associated with the line. Predictably - the wiz bang competitors do not want to build the plant and lease it to AT&T -They know there is no money to be made unless you are using someone else equipment and pushing the problems back on the owners- with government help.

decifal

Bon Aqua, TN

1 edit
Omg, did Gfash and Netfixer become brothers?!? Lord.

My issue is, baby bells/att all recieved public funds to build their networks.. And they should do so. To everyone.. And yes, they should be allowed to be the ones making the profit on it being they will be setting it up etc, its only right.. Just as long as they don't lobby to prevent any one from competing in any areas to offer service of their own from their own equipment...

If they have areas that they consider unprofitable and refuse to upgrade them, they should consider selling the maintenance rights to another provider willing to take the risk.. Some case's, it would lose money, some it would rank in money..

My issue is that broadband regardless of what soo called experts declare, is fastly becoming a way of life. And this is fine, but it really needs to be developed for everyone to have an affordable opportunity to experience the internet as it should be.. Meaning no low FAP CAPPED satellite and EVDO internet should be allowed to count as said service.. Areas that are super remote say in the farming flatlands I can see the arguement of non landline development, and pursuit of highspeed reliable wireless to be a viable option. Especially being you could literally only have one house in 25 miles for anything...

This isn't the "always" circumstance however.. There are subdivisions and communities alike being either ignored/overlooked/or whatever the excuse of the year is for services when they shouldn't by any rights.. If they want to be a utility provider, then they should go with it all the way.. Not cherry pick, which is often the case.. You cannot denie this simply because of the buildouts i've witnessed in dickson Tn alone.. There cannot be anymore than 3 house's on one VRAD that I know of in one location, and in another location, a DSLAM services maybe 5 homes in a realistic range.... Profitable? Or filling in a zipcode buildout to claim it serviced to the FCC?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by decifal:

Omg, did Gfash and Netfixer become brothers?!? Lord.
No, but I have been officially notified by the powers that be to not pick on poor defenseless Gflash. I am therefore cutting him a bit of slack (as long as he behaves himself).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson

Gflash

@bellsouth.net
reply to decifal
Where do they come up with the idea that the government or the public gave the phone companies the money to build the networks? This is a lie. Some of the plant has been there at least 30 years - predating any internet. The phone system was built with stockholder funds and bonds.It is privately owned by anyone who wants to invest in it. The government allowed a monopoly status only so the capital would not be lost.-protecting the phone co/investors. They also limited any profit to 10% or less.-protecting the public/consumers. No other business ran on such a low profit margin and the customer had the best equipment at lowest cost. The era of competition and deregulation has expanded service and vastly driven up rates.It has caused tremendous waste through duplication of services and waste of capital. Not to mention the fraud and outright theft (Worldcom,Qwest Adelphia ,etc.) that was never possible under a regulated monopoly. If data is so critical -why not give it the status of a utility and take it out of the reach of the marketplace manipulations . guarantee access to everyone -like pots . Set minimum speeds and repair standards. Set standards as to the size of the installation and maintenance workforce retained. set the profit at not more than 10% of the construction cost. Last - grant monopoly status to the owners to prevent other companies from interfering in the process. The whole problem should be owned by one company If other companies have innovations that are cheaper or better use the monopoly status to see they are incorporated uniformly through the whole system -and compensate them.. At&t has already served the country for over 125 years in this way . A regulated monopoly on data would have advantages to everyone but the companies that want to compete openly in that field. -By taking out the profitability. On the other hand the chaos of competition is refreshing.It has been a long time since things were this fubar. 1896 I think .

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to NetFixer
EXACTLY where is this DSL waiting list?

I dont see it on the AT&T or Bellsouth page.

Can you provide a DIRECT link for the DSL waiting list????

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by compuguybna:

You have to go to »www.bellsouth.com/consumer/inets···dex.html and attempt to sign up for the service. Unless there have been som recent changes, you should be given the option to be put on a notification list if service is not available to your location. I don't have a non-qualified number to check it with, so I can't guarantee that AT&T has not screwed up and removed that option.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
That doesn't work....Hasn't worked in over a year......

It DOES take you to a page where you can provide your information, BUT..... there is no way to SUBMIT the information.....No "click here", no "submit", no "enter"...... Its a dead end.

I've called Bellsouth several times about it, and they always say they'll note of it, but it never gets corrected . . . .

Guess we're screwed in rural america. Funny thing is, people 4.4 miles away have it, I pass the junction boxes everyday. I can see where the cable routes down into the box.

said by NetFixer:

said by compuguybna:

You have to go to »www.bellsouth.com/consumer/inets···dex.html and attempt to sign up for the service. Unless there have been som recent changes, you should be given the option to be put on a notification list if service is not available to your location. I don't have a non-qualified number to check it with, so I can't guarantee that AT&T has not screwed up and removed that option.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to noservice5
Same here. I have three AT&T towers 2 miles from my house, I can walk out my back yard and see them at a distance. Unfortunately, even my AT&T cell phone doesn't get good reception down here.......Wireless 3G is a joke. it only picks up the EDGE network, and like I said in another post DSL is only 4.4 miles away from here.

There are at least 40 houses in a 2 mile radius here who'd gladly signup for DSL......

said by noservice5:

Gflash

@bellsouth.net
reply to compuguybna
Don't wait to get on a list .Order it. If they can't do it someone will have to explain why it is not ready yet. If you see three towers chances are two of them are not AT&T. Multiple towers in one location is a waste.When AT&T buys another wireless company they move the redundent towers to where they can provide better service.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
You CAN'T order it! It says its unavailable!!!!

i'd say they are all three AT&T cell phone towers.....Surrounded by a big fence a big building that says AT&T on it...

said by Gflash :

Don't wait to get on a list .Order it. If they can't do it someone will have to explain why it is not ready yet. If you see three towers chances are two of them are not AT&T. Multiple towers in one location is a waste.When AT&T buys another wireless company they move the redundent towers to where they can provide better service.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
reply to noservice5
I have to say, if you see towers, and your cell phone is weak, why do you suspect they are cell phone towers? I suspect they are backhaul towers.
--

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
Obviously they aren't benefitting me any....

Sorry cell service, No 3G, and DSL 1.5 in town is what we got(and I ain't in town!) LOL

said by jimbopalmer:

I have to say, if you see towers, and your cell phone is weak, why do you suspect they are cell phone towers? I suspect they are backhaul towers.

melissa9066

@66.211.26.x
reply to decifal
I live in Bon Aqua, TN and have waited for YEARS for DSL. I really wish there was something I could do "get the ball rolling". Dial-up is soooooooooooooo slow.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
I live within 4 miles of DSL. I can see where the last DSLAM is and where the fiber runs into the box...Yet, they wont run it out another 4 miles. that could serve at least 70 people.....

The link to be added to the waiting list on the bellsouth page is DEAD, because it offers no 'SUBMIT' button...
You can enter in all your information, but there is no way to send it.

Gflash

@bellsouth.net
Try the AT&T adsl page.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
doesnt work . . . . it takes you back to the bellsouth.com

but thanks for trying . . .

jpkeels

@bellsouth.net
reply to Gflash
Yeah, this is the true post of a filthy, greedy, selfish person. Just the same attitude that existed in the heart of Bernard Madoff among others. And it is one of the things that is slowly tearing our society apart. A corporation has to make a profit of course. Not to mention provide a reasonable return to their investors. But this Bull Hockey about creating protected monopolies is a bunch of crap. Unfortunately, I cannot use the words I want to use and because it is not tasteful beside. Oh, and then of course act like a whiney baby victim about any possibility that another company might pay profitable rates to lease lines. I am sure though that there are companies that would take advantage of the situation especially if aided by regulations. However, leaving everything to one monopolistic company is only for the people within that company that are wringing their greasy hands to ink out every penny they can from customers, investors, and from the government. Yes, from the government too. These guys are exactly the same kind that ran the banks into the ground. Get as much money for themselves as fast as they can at the expense of everyone else and then do it again by getting government handouts (bailouts). No sympathy here. Yes, I am furious. I have a right to be.