dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

br0adbanddoc

Hey America, look at our super mega fast network.

It sounds as though they're not exactly quite sure how to pay for the amounts of bandwidth that they're dishing out to high end customers.

Do I smell more layoffs?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

Or maybe, the demand for 100 Mbps tiers simply doesn't exist yet. Given VZ's capacity and GPON architecture, I would expect them to be leading the charge with a $200+/mth tier if the demand actually existed.
br0adbanddoc
join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

1 recommendation

br0adbanddoc

I do tend to agree with you on whether or not there is a true mainstream need for 100Mbps of internet bandwidth.

100Mbps is awesome for multiple HD or SD streams which they're using for their TV service, but finding reliable sources of servers willing to push 100Mbps are rare. Even more rare is a typical consumer who would know the difference between 10Mbps and 100Mbps. Usually consumers view services in three different levels. Those levels being; working well, working okay or not working.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

Sammer

When the FCC presents a national broadband plan next February 2 Mbps should be the immediate goal but 50 Mbps seems about right for an intermediate goal. Verizon is right that anything faster than that for homes (obviously business could use 100 Mbps) is simply marketing hype at this time.