spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dan Rayburn

@verizon.net

50Mbps is overkill

I have Verizon FiOS. I used to have 50Mbps but went back down to 25Mbps as I could not find anything that worked better or faster with 50Mbps. For the average consumer, 25Mbps is more than plenty for now. Verizon is right, 100Mbps is simply wasteful and overkill.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

ok. i get your argument about anything > 25mbps is overkill.

but explain to me why the connection that I have at the Office, which is symmetrical 100mbps, is so much better than my 18mbps service at home?

I seriously don't see how companies can say that there is no difference when I use the faster service and I obviously see a difference. a HUGE difference if i may be so bold.

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

1 recommendation

said by ArrayList:

but explain to me why the connection that I have at the Office, which is symmetrical 100mbps, is so much better than my 18mbps service at home?
Probably because your advertised 18mbps at home is a "best effort" service that isn't anywhere near that consistently while your office is paying lots of money for a "guaranteed" service level.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to Dan Rayburn

said by Dan Rayburn :

I have Verizon FiOS. I used to have 50Mbps but went back down to 25Mbps as I could not find anything that worked better or faster with 50Mbps. For the average consumer, 25Mbps is more than plenty for now. Verizon is right, 100Mbps is simply wasteful and overkill.
I definitely had no problem using all 50mbs when I had the 50mbs tier. But I dropped my tier to the 25/15(although I wish they had the 35/20 tier here) in protest of them screwing my speeds up in June. I regularly maxed out my 50mbs connection when I had it.
And i do miss it when it takes me twice as long to download a 5GB or 6GB movie from Xbox Live or PSN or other large files online that would max out my conne ction. PSN would almost always max my 50mbs connection and XBL would hit 40mbs to 50mbs.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to ArrayList

There are a lot of things that can make it different.

Where I work I have a 50mb internet connection with dual connections on a SONNET ring with TW and fractional 10mb on a DS3 with Level3. The latenacy on the TW is less than the Level3 connection. Why? how it is delievered and the peering depending on end point that we are trying to access.

The same is true for you and your ISP. I live in the northen part of Tampa, Fl and when I try to access a site in Tampa on my Fios I go all the way to Atalanta and then back to Tampa to get the site. When I was on Brighthouse I would stay in the metro area.

With Fios I am not bogged down with the traffic on my node. When I was on Brighthouse I would get bogged down during the busy times.

There are so many things that could make a difference.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY
kudos:3
reply to Dan Rayburn

said by Dan Rayburn :

Is this "Streaming Dan"?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

ok. i get your argument about anything > 25mbps is overkill.

I seriously don't see how companies can say that there is no difference when I use the faster service and I obviously see a difference. a HUGE difference if i may be so bold.
At my office we have 150M symmetrical, but only because we upload lots of video (that we create). Honestly I don't see a difference between home and work unless I'm uploading/downloading large files, such as a 4 gig core dump to tech support.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

and i bet you did more than "notice" a difference. unless you did some bandwidth throttling it became unusable.